E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:
For all you bomber peeps out there. Is there a spacer of some kind between the motor and the brake rotor? When I got the bike it had very thin almost paper thin washers there and that was it. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a spacer there. Thanks

Mine has one. There's a spacer between the motor and rotor that's about 1/8" thick. It's not obvious because it's black like the motor. I figured out it was there when I changed my brake rotor.

Thanks,
I think mine did not come with one or its missing... Me thinks Ill get in touch w stealth to get another one.

1abv said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:
For all you bomber peeps out there. Is there a spacer of some kind between the motor and the brake rotor? When I got the bike it had very thin almost paper thin washers there and that was it. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a spacer there. Thanks

Mine has one. There's a spacer between the motor and rotor that's about 1/8" thick. It's not obvious because it's black like the motor. I figured out it was there when I changed my brake rotor.

Thanks,
I think mine did not come with one or its missing... Me thinks Ill get in touch w stealth to get another one.

This is what it looks like. I bet one of these would work too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/hope-rotor-spacer/rp-prod3288

2vijvba.jpg

Taking delivery of my Bomber tomorrow, getting the seat cut down and the upgrade lights installed. Oh, and the Evobike branding removed haha!

Took it for a bit of a run around the circle of Regent's Park. The get up and go of that thing is incredible. Lost about 5% of its juice in the process though, in only about 10 minutes. Wondering if that's first-time losses considering I was a bit erratic with the throttle and that. Definitely more akin to a moto than a bike. Not sure whether to wear a moto helmet, haha!

Thanks for all you replies guys :)

I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for a stand available to buy online, just somewhere to sit it when it is at home.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willworx-SuperStand-Extreme-bike-stand-grey-/271642684136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3f2a6ae8
The Extreme version of this stand should work.

Mine has one. There's a spacer between the motor and rotor that's about 1/8" thick. It's not obvious because it's black like the motor. I figured out it was there when I changed my brake rotor.[/quote]

Thanks,
I think mine did not come with one or its missing... Me thinks Ill get in touch w stealth to get another one.[/quote]

This is what it looks like. I bet one of these would work too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/hope-rotor-spacer/rp-prod3288[/quote]

I take it the 6 bolt patterns are pretty universal? Seems like it.

ryrideswhat said:
2vijvba.jpg

Taking delivery of my Bomber tomorrow, getting the seat cut down and the upgrade lights installed. Oh, and the Evobike branding removed haha!

It looks great ry. You're fixing to have a lot of fun. I don't blame you for removing those stickers though. I don't mind a little dealer sticker, but damn.

I wish Stealth offered, Stealth Electric Bicycle stickers, and emblems. I'd like one to put on the back of my service van. Sooner of later I bet they'll start offering them.

Something else I'd really love to see is a fancy badge on our headstock. I can understand if you're thinking Stealth's are already so great they don't need one, and I appreciate that Stealth doesn't clutter up our bikes with a bunch of self gratuitous stickers all over the place. but I talking about a dynasty here. The emblem we have now is nice, but it's small, and not very noticeable being on the low side of the bike, and around on the side of the head. Throughout history bicycles had some great headstock badges, prominently displayed on the front. These badges can turn into collector items sometimes worth hundreds.

Here's an example of a very nice modern badge on one of my bicycles. This isn't a sticker, it's a metal badge attached to the headstock. This bike is a cheap bike made my Kent Bicycles that was licensed by Cadillac, no longer available. They sold the same bikes as Northwood models, but lacking a nice head badge. The Northwood's had to make do with a sticker. Even though both bikes were similar, the badge on the Cadillac's added a touch of class that was noticeably missing on the Northwood's.

If you google bicycle headstock badge, you'll find hundreds of examples.

The badge on the headstock would be pretty cool.....

On another note.... does anyone know if you can switch the shifter for the bomber to something like a trigger or lever? I find that I shift gears when I don't want to. Especially when I move into a more aggressive position, sliding in a turn, or rocky hill climbs..

Oh and by the way im going to get those spacers for my rotor. They seem to be the business and come in a variety of sizes from 2mm - .2mm depending on manufacturer.

Thanks.

1abv said:
The badge on the headstock would be pretty cool.....

On another note.... does anyone know if you can switch the shifter for the bomber to something like a trigger or lever? I find that I shift gears when I don't want to. Especially when I move into a more aggressive position, sliding in a turn, or rocky hill climbs..

Oh and by the way im going to get those spacers for my rotor. They seem to be the business and come in a variety of sizes from 2mm - .2mm depending on manufacturer.

Thanks.

You can always adjust the resistance required to turn the handle. That might help prevent unwanted gear shifts.

Here's a picture of me with my Stealth Fighter. Rode the bike today, to visit my mom. Also, rode it down to visit with the contractor that is going to finish my new passive solar home. Everyone asks about the bike and is very interested in how it works. Have I mentioned lately, how much I love riding this thing?

My new Adappto Max-E motor controller arrived from Allex this morning. My Cycle Analyst will soon be removed and offered for sale. Contact me if you are interested in it. I'm trying to get the last few rides in before the bad weather hits.

SamM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,989
MY FIRST STEALTH BOMBER TRIP (SPILLS INCLUDED.)

So tonight I took out my new Stealth Bomber for a run to the gym and back. It's a 24 mile round trip (I have a good trainer and he's worth the trip, shush!) and in short, I think the Bomber, far from being simply a fun vehicle to drive (note the omission of 'bike' - it patently isn't one) - it's an actual viable alternative to a car when living in a city like London (issues notwithstanding, i.e. the legality of the thing..)

So, I had a great start to the trip. I was all pumped up to head on out- hopped on, hit the throttle and.. the bike flipped what seemed 50 feet into the air and crashed down on its back. This is the most consistent issue I keep coming up against. I managed to flip the bike twice using the throttle. The second time I actually ripped off the seat and complete f*cked the seat post support bars, which now have to be replaced they are so warped and bent out of shape. The bike is so heavy that when it comes crashing down it can do real damage to itself.

I know this is my own stupid fault, but honestly, at no point did I jerk the throttle. I was actually careful not to. Many times at red lights, I'd tap it just a bit when we got green and find the front wheel would lift a good half foot or so before picking up some speed. Whilst this looks cool to onlookers (why yes I am a moto hero, would you like to buy me a drink?) it's pretty unnerving for me, as I don't want to be under the eager taxi behind me. It's a heavy f*cker too. Wrestling back control from a 65kg beast ain't easy. And man, the storage. The landlord is already fuming that I'm petitioning to rip out all the hallway cupboards to make room. (It's that or spend the whole time hopping over the thing.)

I had a few spills on the road. The two somersaults, a curb mount that went wrong, and a case of pushing my luck a bit on the speed. I've uploaded a video below, and there's a picture of the damage to the seat. Turns out trying to mount a curb at an angle isn't such a good idea with a bike this heavy. Also underestimated the momentum that builds as you overtake at 40 (which I was doing.) It caught me off guard how close to the curb I got, and whilst I managed to wrestle back the bike, I don't know if I'd do that again. Was pretty dumb.

[youtube]NqHgaPM4Kx4[/youtube]

90da2d3a-517e-46ff-a3fb-b4b321e5cb61_zps8ddb05f7.jpg

(It's testament to the GoPros that they survive all the sh*t I throw at them. If you're looking for a saddle mount for a rear GP, I'd recommend the K-Edge. It's on Amazon, and is practically indestructible. Allows a clear line of straight sight back onto the road without eating up space on your seat post.)

Anyway. I love the bomber (I know I sound like I don't, but that's just the anxiety speaking) - it's probably the most fun I've had on a vehicle since learning to drive. The range is fantastic, I had 45% juice left when I got back after 24 miles of stop start driving with light pedalling effort. The response and power of the motor (whilst threatening to me as a beginner) is a lot of fun to play with when you've been riding pushbikes long distances. I love the dirt bike looks (some guy screamed "oh my god, that's f*cking sick bro" when I zoomed past him,) the suspension, which unlike my old GoCycle, doesn't require a visit to the chiropractor every time you hit a pothole, annnnd the general feeling of capability this machine brings.

I do have some bones to pick. Some I hope there are resolutions to, some I'm not sure.

That damn throttle. Is there a way to make the throttle less sensitive when you are at a standstill? It's very twitchy, and is like an excitable puppy wanting to bolt out the front door. It's great when you're at speed but like I say, not great from a green light. If it were two wheel drive this wouldn't be an issue, but it's rear wheeled and back-heavy, which makes it liable to flip I guess.

Definitely think it's a thief magnet. I have a bike cage at the gym, and I still use two Kryptonite chains and pray it is still there when I get back. It's a shame that for a bike I'd love to use more often, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable chaining it up around London. Shame there isn't more secure bike parking in the city. The Japanese have these cool underground bike parking facilities which require some form of ticket. Makes our little metal U bends look like ass.

[youtube]TAOLYhPZdZE[/youtube]

Storage at home is an issue because it's so heavy and large. Taking it upstairs is a no-go, yet living in London space is at a premium. The landlord is already impressed by my suggestion to rip out all the hallway cupboards to make room, but then what alternative is there?

The weight is probably the second biggest issue. When combined with a twitchy throttle it makes me feel less confident about my ability to remain in control. When it gets away it is a heavy beast, and it's very hard to reign in again. In fact one of the issues I find is that if you twitch the throttle a bit too much and it gets away from you, it pulls forward and makes you pull back on the throttle even more!!

If anyone has any tips on how to become more proficient, safe, etc, I'm happy to hear it. Particularly if anyone knows how to 'fix' the throttle. I may limit the speed to 30mph for now. Whilst that won't solve the throttle issue it will at least allow me to become more confident before jetting off at speed.

On a sidenote, I had the Stealth lights installed on the front. They make it look even more like the predator that it is, and produce something more akin to a small car headlight (think wide field of view, circular vision) than a bike LED. Definitely helps in the dark when being able to see what's around a corner is essential.

Don't judge me too harshly! :oops:

ryrideswhat,
First thing I would say is that your asking for trouble if you are riding this in a traffic situation without control over the bike. (not to be a dick but) DON'T...take it out on the road until you are comfortable with the throttle. You may hurt yourself and others in the process. If the bike gets away from you at an intersection a car may swerve and hit someone or something. Im sure there are some green areas around where you live. A park or something like that. Take the bike there and beat the hell out if it for a day. That alone will get you much more familiar with the throttle. Im sure there are way of softening the throttle but IMO that's the wrong way to go about it. I too was wondering if I could adjust the throttle. First night I had the bike I stopped and reached down to adjust the suspension. My other hand was on the throttle side... well one loop of the bike and several hours of bending back by crank got me back in shape. That happened more than once before I learned to turn off the bike when I make any adjustment.Hasn't happened since. I can't stress this enough go to a dirt / grass area does not even have to be very big and play with the throttle. Worst may be a few bent parts and hurt pride but I bet you will understand how the power comes on after that and have a much better grasp of controlling the bike. I didn't change the bike I changed my behavior. That's my recommendation. Good luck!!

Try this:
Try and see how slow you can go with the throttle. Start off by pedaling only give it a little throttle and stop pedaling. Then modulate the throttle to move forward only. I'm talking walking speed here. Stand on the pedals when you are doing this. Then once you master that try sitting down and doing the same thing, then once you master that try starting with throttle only and see how slow you can start. creeping. etc. This will give you a much better feel of the throttle. Do this in a grassy / dirt area. Having good balance and throttle control will be the basics that you can build off of.

Hey 1abv,

That sounds like great advice.I will take it out on the weekend if I can get the saddle fixed up. Thankfully didn't have any somersaults in the city itself, only pretty much outside my front door. Would be a nightmare to happen at a busy crossing though, so you're right, some practice is in order :)

Here is a prime example of what im talking about. This is a bit extreme but generally gives you a good idea of riding. You don't have to be standing still when you first do this. Just try and start moving slow. But its all about balance and control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5VB-0oVUg&list=PLlur54ugvzNKGIuFDwITlXrSENMeqikEQ

Giving those a watch now. I suppose part of the issue is the way the bike is weighted though. ON a moto you can shift your weight around and that will affect the way you ride significantly because the bikes are relatively light an balanced. The Stealth I find is very heavy, but more importantly, rear weighted. This means that whenever the throttle is twitched a bit too much the bike just leaps from under you.

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) experienced the 'leaping bike?' Am I the only one? haha

I'm perplexed at how this happens to you more than once. Maybe your CA has a limited top speed and your acceleration from a stop is has more torque. When I was getting comfortable with my bomber I limited the top speed to 65 km/hr. At stop lights I could beat any car (except a Lamborghini) within the first 10 seconds. But when I increased the top speed to 90, I had to change my start technique a lot and a lot of the times cars do catch up to me unless I pedal like a mad man at 8th gear with full throttle, when it feels maxed out I let go of the throttle briefly and then pedal one big powerful downstroke on 9th while synchronizing the throttle...then the Bomber really takes off like a "freight train" (TV quote).

ryrideswhat said:
Have you (or anyone else for that matter) experienced the 'leaping bike?' Am I the only one? haha
A friend of mine almost flipped my Bomber onto the boot of a car when he pulled off once - on his first ride. When I used to start off, all I did was lean forward (like you would on a motorbike), then there are no issues.

I once hit a kerb square on at about 60 km/h - I thought it was a ramped kerb :) - and the bike handled it beautifully, but I always stand when I go over kerbs and rough sections. As others have said - ride offroad / somewhere safe before playing in the traffic!

ryrideswhat said:
MY FIRST STEALTH BOMBER TRIP (SPILLS INCLUDED.)

So tonight I took out my new Stealth Bomber for a run to the gym and back. It's a 24 mile round trip (I have a good trainer and he's worth the trip, shush!) and in short, I think the Bomber, far from being simply a fun vehicle to drive (note the omission of 'bike' - it patently isn't one) - it's an actual viable alternative to a car when living in a city like London (issues notwithstanding, i.e. the legality of the thing..)

So, I had a great start to the trip. I was all pumped up to head on out- hopped on, hit the throttle and.. the bike flipped what seemed 50 feet into the air and crashed down on its back. This is the most consistent issue I keep coming up against. I managed to flip the bike twice using the throttle. The second time I actually ripped off the seat and complete f*cked the seat post support bars, which now have to be replaced they are so warped and bent out of shape. The bike is so heavy that when it comes crashing down it can do real damage to itself.

I know this is my own stupid fault, but honestly, at no point did I jerk the throttle. I was actually careful not to. Many times at red lights, I'd tap it just a bit when we got green and find the front wheel would lift a good half foot or so before picking up some speed. Whilst this looks cool to onlookers (why yes I am a moto hero, would you like to buy me a drink?) it's pretty unnerving for me, as I don't want to be under the eager taxi behind me. It's a heavy f*cker too. Wrestling back control from a 65kg beast ain't easy. And man, the storage. The landlord is already fuming that I'm petitioning to rip out all the hallway cupboards to make room. (It's that or spend the whole time hopping over the thing.)

I had a few spills on the road. The two somersaults, a curb mount that went wrong, and a case of pushing my luck a bit on the speed. I've uploaded a video below, and there's a picture of the damage to the seat. Turns out trying to mount a curb at an angle isn't such a good idea with a bike this heavy. Also underestimated the momentum that builds as you overtake at 40 (which I was doing.) It caught me off guard how close to the curb I got, and whilst I managed to wrestle back the bike, I don't know if I'd do that again. Was pretty dumb.

[(It's testament to the GoPros that they survive all the sh*t I throw at them. If you're looking for a saddle mount for a rear GP, I'd recommend the K-Edge. It's on Amazon, and is practically indestructible. Allows a clear line of straight sight back onto the road without eating up space on your seat post.)

Anyway. I love the bomber (I know I sound like I don't, but that's just the anxiety speaking) - it's probably the most fun I've had on a vehicle since learning to drive. The range is fantastic, I had 45% juice left when I got back after 24 miles of stop start driving with light pedalling effort. The response and power of the motor (whilst threatening to me as a beginner) is a lot of fun to play with when you've been riding pushbikes long distances. I love the dirt bike looks (some guy screamed "oh my god, that's f*cking sick bro" when I zoomed past him,) the suspension, which unlike my old GoCycle, doesn't require a visit to the chiropractor every time you hit a pothole, annnnd the general feeling of capability this machine brings.

I do have some bones to pick. Some I hope there are resolutions to, some I'm not sure.

That damn throttle. Is there a way to make the throttle less sensitive when you are at a standstill? It's very twitchy, and is like an excitable puppy wanting to bolt out the front door. It's great when you're at speed but like I say, not great from a green light. If it were two wheel drive this wouldn't be an issue, but it's rear wheeled and back-heavy, which makes it liable to flip I guess.

Definitely think it's a thief magnet. I have a bike cage at the gym, and I still use two Kryptonite chains and pray it is still there when I get back. It's a shame that for a bike I'd love to use more often, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable chaining it up around London. Shame there isn't more secure bike parking in the city. The Japanese have these cool underground bike parking facilities which require some form of ticket. Makes our little metal U bends look like ass.

Storage at home is an issue because it's so heavy and large. Taking it upstairs is a no-go, yet living in London space is at a premium. The landlord is already impressed by my suggestion to rip out all the hallway cupboards to make room, but then what alternative is there?

The weight is probably the second biggest issue. When combined with a twitchy throttle it makes me feel less confident about my ability to remain in control. When it gets away it is a heavy beast, and it's very hard to reign in again. In fact one of the issues I find is that if you twitch the throttle a bit too much and it gets away from you, it pulls forward and makes you pull back on the throttle even more!!

If anyone has any tips on how to become more proficient, safe, etc, I'm happy to hear it. Particularly if anyone knows how to 'fix' the throttle. I may limit the speed to 30mph for now. Whilst that won't solve the throttle issue it will at least allow me to become more confident before jetting off at speed.

On a sidenote, I had the Stealth lights installed on the front. They make it look even more like the predator that it is, and produce something more akin to a small car headlight (think wide field of view, circular vision) than a bike LED. Definitely helps in the dark when being able to see what's around a corner is essential.

Don't judge me too harshly! :oops:

If I didn't see the video, I would think that you were screwing with us and full of it with your comments abou the throttle being too twitchy and un controlable. I got to ask, have you ever rode anthing with 2 wheels and a motor before your Bomber arrived? The Bomber and Fighter are quick compared to mopeds, scooters and pedal power only, but compared to any MX 2 stroke motorcycle with more than 80cc, our machines are totally tame. Maybe I am a little jaded as I rode a 60HP 240# KTM 450 before I sold it to get the Bomber. Were you whackin the throttle and pulling up on the handle bars? How much do you weigh? I got to know.

ry, try not to feel too bad, we were all inexperienced at one time. In my case it was back when dirt was still new. In those days I couldn't ride past a ditch without falling down in it. Everything will work itself out with more practice.

I'm guessing your bike didn't come limited? I would suggest adjusting the power limit to about 750w for a while. Just till you have time to develop your throttle hand skills. I agree, Bomber's have very sensitive throttles, but after you get used to it, you'll find that's a big part of the fun. It's also the number one reason you don't want to let an inexperienced rider, ride your bike. Try and remember that, because everyone is going to be bugging you to let them ride it.

I was having this conversation with a friend just today. People that come from bicycle backgrounds think Bomber's are heavy. People that come from motorcycle backgrounds think Bombers are fly weights. The truth is, the runtiest motorcycle in the world is a Honda Ruckus. They only have 4 hp, but they weigh more than twice as much as a Bomber.

All I'm trying to say is you'll get used to the Bomber's weight when riding it, but it's always going to be a load if you're trying lift it by yourself lol.

It's true, like the others said, it's a good idea to ride off the street for a while till you get to know you new bike better. At least it's a lot softer when you fall down.

Here's what you can look forward to, assuming you survive the next couple days. You'll find that Bombers really are pretty tame, and not heavy at all when riding. They have extremely sensitive throttle response, which turns out is a good thing. It makes 6 hp feel like a lot more. Once you get used to it, you'll love the throttle response. Until then, consider it the same as a gun. Give it a lot of respect, and don't play with it.

I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but here in the states we have what's called a motorcycle riders course. They're offered in every state. For about $195 you get something like 20 hours of training to teach you how to ride. They provide the bike, and the classes are for beginners. They're really a great way for biginners to learn to ride safely.

Everything that the others have said pretty much covers it.
You need to practice somewhere first, for your own safety and that of others. Turn the current down to like 10 amps until you get the hang of how the bike handles. Hell, leave it turned off and put it in 1st gear and pedal around to get a feel for the balance. As the video 1abv posted said, you need to learn how to control it slowly before tearing around at top speed. The video shows you crashing twice and then the next thing you're doing warp speeds. You need to back right off until you get more familiar with it before you wreck your new $10,000 toy, $500 gopro and what ever value you put on yourself! Sensitive throttles with big power is often an issue but it's very easy to adapt to, you just have to take it easy and not be like a 5 year old playing an arcade game :lol: Have you actually ridden motorbikes before ? You mention shifting your weight around on motors and that the bomber feels heavy but they're around half the weight of even the lightest of motorbikes. They are heavy in bicycIe terms though, damn heavy, and a bugger to be picking back up especially if you hurt yourself in the process of dropping it. Speaking of which, your seat is toast, you can't replace parts of it, you'll need a whole new one.

As for storing the bike, is standing it up vertical on the back wheel a possibility ? Maybe putting a hook in the wall that you can put the front wheel on would be better than trying to remove cupboards ?

Now, all that aside, I'll say what everyone else seems to be too polite to say. That is the funniest video I've seen in ages :lol:
I love how it all unfolds too.
BAM, you get flipped on your arse before you even start
Then you crash trying to go up what looks like a 2" high gutter
Then you come across another gutter and having learned from your earlier mistake you stop and crawl up it only to promptly flip yourself off again :lol:

Now, all that aside, I'll say what everyone else seems to be too polite to say. That is the funniest video I've seen in ages :lol:
I love how it all unfolds too.
BAM, you get flipped on your arse before you even start
Then you crash trying to go up what looks like a 2" high gutter
Then you come across another gutter and having learned from your earlier mistake you stop and crawl up it only to promptly flip yourself off again :lol:

Plus 1. That was entertaining. Theodore Voltaire's suggestion about using your street legal only mode is the best way to start doing something right now to get used to your machine. Of course your speed will be limited to 20MPH, or whatever GB's ebike limit is. Still a slick way to get used to the handling characteristics of your Bomber with out looping it out on you.

SamM said:
Here's a picture of me with my Stealth Fighter. Rode the bike today, to visit my mom. Also, rode it down to visit with the contractor that is going to finish my new passive solar home. Everyone asks about the bike and is very interested in how it works. Have I mentioned lately, how much I love riding this thing?

My new Adappto Max-E motor controller arrived from Allex this morning. My Cycle Analyst will soon be removed and offered for sale. Contact me if you are interested in it. I'm trying to get the last few rides in before the bad weather hits.

SamM

Sweet, nothing like fall riding. I probably go another month or so before I will be restricted to lower elevations, 5000 feet and lower. Its cold in the mornings now, I once rode my Bomber when it was -11F (-24C), our batteries don't like it when its that cold. But that doesn't happen very often.

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire's suggestion about using your street legal only mode is the best way to start doing something right now to get used to your machine. Of course your speed will be limited to 20MPH, or whatever GB's ebike limit is. Still a slick way to get used to the handling characteristics of your Bomber with out looping it out on you.

I think limiting it may be a good start. Probably not to the UK limit however, which follows EU guidelines and sets it at a paltry 15.5mph (it's testament to the bureaucracy of the EU that they managed to choose a half number.) Most pushbikes go 20-25 in London, never mind ebikes. It's not safe to be doing 15.5mph when everything around you is going much faster.

As a sidetone the bike falls foul of being road legal on weight alone, and the EU limits motors to 200W. Just a bit over that. Ahem.. lol

PRW said:
ryrideswhat said:
A friend of mine almost flipped my Bomber onto the boot of a car when he pulled off once - on his first ride. When I used to start off, all I did was lean forward (like you would on a motorbike), then there are no issues.

I once hit a kerb square on at about 60 km/h - I thought it was a ramped kerb :) - and the bike handled it beautifully, but I always stand when I go over kerbs and rough sections. As others have said - ride offroad / somewhere safe before playing in the traffic!

Glad I'm not the only one :lol:

Back