Ebike.ca simulator explanation sought

gwsaltspring

100 W
I have been looking at the simulator for a while now and was wondering if someone can explain it in simple language.

I have been leaning towards a 5 series, with 72V, 35A contoller and wondering about the 24" wheels vs the 26" wheels. I want a bike that will climb my 7 km route from town to home with ease.

Which graph line is the most important? and Why wouldn't I go for the 5302 vs say the 5304 which seems to be the motor of choice in this line or am I missing something (which wouldn't be unusual ;)

Power, efficiency , and torque.

What heppens here is you plug in your wheel size etc....

And what you are looking at is the result from flooring the throttle.

At the bottom of the grid you see the speed at wich the motor is going and on the left ( Nm ) is the amount of force the motor will push .

So, if you want to know how many watts you need to consume at a certain speed.. look at the bottom .. far left is 0 km/h up to X speed towards the right..

Looking at the legend on the far right for each color you can determine what results to expect with different combinations.

----------- hard to explain .... i'm sure many on here can do a much better job than me on this part..

Long story short.. the motors all have similar " Max Torque " .. difference is that they make this power at a different RPM.

5305 will produce it's most torque at the lowest rpm
5302 will produce it's torque at a much higher speed given the same voltage.

" (( PLenty of generalizations here.... mileage may vary )

Clear as mud ?

Thrust changes with wheel diameter; torque does not. So if investigating different wheel sizes, change the default "N-m" (of torque) button to "Lbs" (of thrust). The blue torque or thrust line will then change with different wheel diameters. The labeling could be better....

If serious hill climbing is what you plan on doing, I'd go with the 5304 or 5305 in a 24" wheel...but then again, I'm a little biased. :D

Here's an interesting idea: Take your bike, add some weight roughly equal to your motor and battery combo, and have someone pull you up your favorite hill with a rope and fish scale. (on your bike of course :lol: ) Record force vs. speed then use the ebikes.ca simulator on lbs thrust to see how fast the hub motor would propel you up the hill.

The 5302 at 72v would be good for a streamliner, but not for any normal bicycle. With a peak power speed of nearly 1200rpm, you'll be going 90km/h with just a 16" wheel.

A 5304 in a 24" wheel with the 72v, 35A controller would be a good combo, but only if you plan to take advantage of the 65km/h peak power speed. Otherwise a 5304/20" wheel or 5305/24" wheel would give comfortable 50-55km/h peak power speeds.

Back