Ebike wiring and controls

-dg

1 kW
I'm building my first ebike and have some questions about wiring. What is a good signal connector to standardize on? The power stuff I think I have figured out for now (I'll try using EC3 plugs), and there is lots of information about it. But what about the control signal stuff, ie leads to switches and throttles?My KU-63 clone controller, twist and thumb throttles, 3 speed switch, and brake levers came with janky connectors that were mis-wired, bulky, and one failed just testing it. I'd really like to cut off all the supplied connectors and find a connector series that is decent, not too expensive, easy to make up, and not too bulky. Oh yeah, also reliable too. Weatherproof would be a bonus, but I expect this bike to be used only in the dry so not essential. Ebikes.ca uses jst-sm, but I have seen suggestions from Mini-din to Weatherpaks floating around. What do you recommend for connectors for bike wiring harnesses?

The standard seems to be the little black ones or the bigger automotive style white ones, but neither are anything like you want. I guess it is a cost thing

The best quality connectors i have seen is the Crystalyte 5 pin ones used for the hall sensors

They call them Mini XLR..but from what I have seen they are not real XLR type connectors
Ep-MINIXLR-M-150.jpg

http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/product.php?productid=16211&cat=251&page=1&featured=Y

you could possibly use them for all connections, but they are small and fiddly to solder, and since then all the connectors are the same you would have to be very careful to label them up properly so mis connecting did not happen.

Otherwise I do not think anyone has come up with a suitable all weather solid strain relieved connector that we can use. if you find something of a reasonable price, let us know

This isn't a definitive list but
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Connectors
has some threads discussing them already. Please add any info to the wiki that you find relevant.

Back