• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

EcoSpeed BB Mounting System - Any Info or Experience?

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

http://www.ecospeed.com/prodemtndu.html
The Type 1 now features our new mounting system which uses the bottom bracket shell itself to carry all forces. This means that the down tube attachment is not carrying any load and so can be made very light. We use a padded metal band type clamp that conforms to any tube shape.

Requirements, Type 1
The Electric Mountain Drive, Type 1 will fit most upright bikes, even those with down tubes that are not round or straight. The bottom bracket should have a 68mm shell with 1.37" English threads -- this is most bikes. Other bottom bracket widths can be accomodated with a bit of tweaking.

Our newest Electric Mountain Drive Type 1 drive systems use an innovative mounting system that attaches to both the left and right sides of your bottom bracket. No additional clamps or brackets are necessary. This also means that we can now fit bikes with non-round or curved down tubes.

Anyone seen one or used one or have more information (detailed pictures would be nice)?

At $3k (without a battery), for the 1 Kw motor+ controller ....it would need to be special ! :roll:
If you buy their battery, you are at $4k - $4.7k without even a bike to install it on !
Honestly, how do these people expect to sell any quantity ?...you can buy a complete new ICE scooter for that money (or electric).

I worked on a bike of a person that owns one. He took it 3000 miles cross country! Look up thegreenriders.org

Anyway, he still uses it but says the system is complicated compared to hub motors. The ecospeed is a chain driven mid drive system. Conceptually, it's not too different from the cyclone but they have mounting systems for recumbent bikes. The issues are not with the motor, but the transmission which uses chains and cogs to drive the wheels. Oliver has also had problems with muck (kicked up from the front wheel) gumming up the motor. He's had to clean it out a few times. It's a good system that needs fairly frequent "tweeking" and it's pricey as someone has already mentioned.

Hi,

I started the thread because mounting a drive/motor on the downtube via the bottom bracket seems like an excellent way to do it. No drilling or welding and it should work with any shape of downtube tube. I thought someone might be interested in that method of mounting or have more information.

Matt:
I've come full circle. When you suggested that D mount his motor/drive by tying into the bottom bracket I didn't think it was a very good idea :oops:. Now it sounds (to me) like an excellent idea.

I am a big fan of Eco-Speed. I just cannot get around the huge cost of their stuff and it is getting more and more costly as time goes by. Never-the-less, it is great looking stuff, just not revolutionary, by any stretch.

I would love to try one out for comparison.

Matt

Back