Efficient V-brake pads por heavy hub motor?

Debunker

100 mW
I installed a 1500w rear hub, and my V-brake can't even block the wheel in low speeds no matter how strong I press.

I don't like disc brakes, I know they are far better, but they are more prone to failure and requires maintenance, change the oil every year etc... I have them and I hate them, they are not Mad Max-ready.

So... I need the best of the best pads to drive more safely...

¿What brakes do you guys use on heavy rear hubs?

Debunker said:
I don't like disc brakes, I know they are far better,

They're definitely not, but they are easier to set up if you don't know what you're doing.

Pads are only one element of strong braking with rim brakes. Good smooth cables, correct cable routing, correct match of brake and lever mechanical advantage, and most of all good cable and pad adjustment are all important. If you use the electrically switched brake levers that come with most conversion kits, the vast majority of the time the pull ratio won't be right for the brake. For this reason I consider this CPSC mandated "safety feature" to be a danger feature in most cases.

I'll also recommend Kool Stop pads. Both the red iron oxide "Salmon" compound and the gray "E-bike" compound are top notch. Black is fine too.

Debunker said:
I installed a 1500w rear hub, and my V-brake can't even block the wheel in low speeds no matter how strong I press
Did it work at the same speeds under the same conditions before changing the wheel?

If so, the pads probably need to be readjusted to fit the different rim width/angle/shape/etc, or wear into the new fit against the braking surface.

Also, if the new rim is painted (vs anodized or machined) it's probably not going to get good grip until the paint wears off (or you remove it).

If you changed the brake levers out with ones supplied with the kit, they may be the wrong kind for your brakes, or may be misadjusted, or if they're plastic they may even be so flexible that they don't apply sufficient force. (have seen all of those happen).

If everything is correct and it just never braked right even before changing anything, then I'd just go with KoolStop Salmon pads (whichever kind are the right ones for your specific brake arms, etc).

They also make an ebike version, but there wasn't much difference in results for me.

Back