eLation 200watt kit (Australia)

erutangis said:
lesspedal said:
When you said shimano alfine crankset, did you mean internally geared hub ?

Yes, sorry it's the geared hub that I'm interested in due to it's promise of low maintenance requirements.
The E lation comes with 4 crank rings, the standard rings for pedalling and the other for the motor drive.
Can't help with the internal hub gears, although read somewhere they are not really suited for ebikes, don't recall if it was all geared hubs or a particular brand.

With coming up to 2 yrs of " elationing " have never had a problem with derailer gearing, chain drive motors with 1000w may be a different story.

lesspedal said:
erutangis said:
lesspedal said:
When you said shimano alfine crankset, did you mean internally geared hub ?

Yes, sorry it's the geared hub that I'm interested in due to it's promise of low maintenance requirements.
The E lation comes with 4 crank rings, the standard rings for pedalling and the other for the motor drive.
Can't help with the internal hub gears, although read somewhere they are not really suited for ebikes, don't recall if it was all geared hubs or a particular brand.

With coming up to 2 yrs of " elationing " have never had a problem with derailer gearing, chain drive motors with 1000w may be a different story.
Thanks LP. :) How many k's do you do? I think I could do 5k or more a year.

I lost track of the k's, changed speedo battery twice and unit returns to zero. I don't ride for commuting as i have 100klms each way :cry:
Ride when i can for pleasure or doing errands etc.
With 5000 k's a year,, even if you had to replace the chain each year they are about $20.
What part of aus are you in ?

lesspedal said:
I lost track of the k's, changed speedo battery twice and unit returns to zero. I don't ride for commuting as i have 100klms each way :cry:
Ride when i can for pleasure or doing errands etc.
With 5000 k's a year,, even if you had to replace the chain each year they are about $20.
What part of aus are you in ?

Brisbane mate :)

The weather here is generally pretty conducive to riding except for about the last month when it hasn't stopped raining....

Well your close to the home of elation :D
One thing you can be sure of is, allan at elation will certainly look after you if you have any issues.
When you get your kit, be sure to let us know how it goes, or ask any questions.

erutangis said:
How many k's do you do? I think I could do 5k or more a year.

You will have no problem with 5000km.

I've had my conversion since August 09 and I've travelled 3000km so far with no problem whatsoever.

The kit and battery are outstanding.

My main advice is to make sure the bike itself is of high quality, if so you be very pleased with the installation.

Here's a pic of my bike (on a train in Sydney):

Cheers,

Des

web.jpg

Can anyone with an elation 200w(are they all the same size?) help me?

I'm now looking at this bike. I'm looking at the large (50cm). I'm just a little concerned that due to the way the frame pinches that the battery might not fit. The dimension I need is the height from the bottom bar at the top of the battery, measured from the crank hole. Can anyone help with this?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help with this :)

seek.jpg

seek_2_2000px.jpg

Thank you lesspedal! Is there any chance of measuring the distance from the frame to the top of the battery?

I owe you a beer should you be in QLD! Thanks :)

gibbo111 said:
Where abouts in Qld are you? Sunshine Coast here if thats any help. I have an elation on a Giant sedona

Thanks for the offer, Gibbo. I'm Brisbane Northside. However all I need at the moment is that measurement as mentioned in the diagram. That would be great! :)

Also I should point out, I just thought of it!.
You need another 50 mm added to that measurement from bb to top of battery = 530mm.[ important]
This is to allow for the battery when placing on bike, it has to be lined up with connecter mount and then slides down 50mm.

These measurements can vary about 10mm either way, depending where on downtube, motor is attached, which adjusts the amount of flex on drive chain.
Ie, Sliding the motor slightly up or down the downtube adjusts the tension or flex on drive chain.

My frame size is 53cm.
Looking at pic of Des's bike, i think it is a tight fit.

I was hoping to get to the shop today to measure the frame but it's not going to happen. :( I'll try tomorrow.

lesspedal said:
Looking at pic of Des's bike, i think it is a tight fit.

Yes it is a tight fit, so I remove the battery by swivelling sideways.

Cheers,

Des

How long is a piece of string? :)

Well I just went and measured a medium frame in the model I'm looking at (I need a large). I put my string in the middle of the outside of the pedal, and then moved a piece of card that was 100mm high along the bottom tube until it touched the top. The diag from the centre of the pedal crank was 520.

Alan D suggested I would need 420 from the corner ofthe frame and this measurement was 450. So, I think it will fit :)

Back