em3ev - controller needs to be changed or re-programmed?

bono

10 W
Hi,

I purchased Bafang BBS02 kit with battery from em3ev. Apart from the longer than expected time to get the kit, I just received an email from Paul that he recommends that the controller fitted to the BBS02 kit is changed or re-programmed. The reason is that the controller settings my kit was shipped with, will very likely result in a blown controller. He asks to send the controller or the complete motor to somebody in California.

I am really not happy about it as this is my commuter bike and secondly I would need to hire somebody to take the controller off and on (maybe this is an easy task, but I prefer not to damage something).

Questions:

- Did anybody receive such request?
- Is it a complicated task to reprogram the controller, if the settings are given? I have a shop which repairs the e-bikes very close to where I live. http://www.elvmotors.com/ Maybe they could do reprogramming if they have instructions?

Please let me know what do you think. I am concerned about my purchase now.

Thank you!

bono

I won't be much help but when I was researching this mid drive I ran across a lot of posts dealing with the controller and why they were replacing them prior to the new batch that just came out. I know it's a pain but if you have a chance use the search feature, I believe you'll have enough to keep you busy for awhile.

Paul @em3ev is about as rock-solid a vendor as you'll find referenced in this group. My experience with him has been brilliant, and you'll hear the same from many other very satisfied customers.

I know when I bought my gear from him last year, the Bafang kit you ordered was not even on offer. I would take his note as being one of conscientious concern for his customers more than anything else -- i.e. he started shipping something before realizing there might be an issue, and now he wants to make sure nobody has the issue that he's discovered. It isn't a scam, but rather a person wanting to do right by his customers.

Ask him what the reprogramming entails, and whether or not it's something you or your local bike shop can do. I'm sure he'd prefer to cross you off his to-do list rather than having to do the job himself.

My controller was one of the ones from that batch that did blow. It blew within an hour. i'm now about to receive my 3rd warranty controller, @ $100 inc. shipping a pop this is not trivial level of service he is offering.

After this experience, he's my go-to ebike parts guy.

It's not hard to remove the controller. It's just a few screws and alan/ hex bolts.

Looks like mine has just blown, weird noise then the 'dreaded click', Paul was right on it, controller blown likely due to programming. I'm impressed by the EM3EV customer service and international respect of 'warranty'. Accept the replacement controller, he can send you images showing how to replace it.

Thanks guys. It is great to hear that Paul stands behind his equipment!

T-Dub, how many miles did you make before it blew? gorndog mentioned his blew within one hour... Do you think that riding in 90-100% power range would result in higher risk of failure?

thanks

Hi bono,
Mine probably did about 150 km. A few weeks, four charges, was very happy with it.
I made the mistake of letting a friend take it for a ride, he couldn't figure out that the Nuvinci hub didn't like to shift under load, so rode up a steep hill in top gear by using full throttle :shock: Yes, I (shallow understanding of electrics involved) think it is to do with overload, blown fets seem to be common, and the controllers will be apparently be programmed to prevent this.

Hey i got the same mail from Paul.. i am not happy with it but its not his fault, i asked him of he could send me the new controller for the motor so that i can install it myself.
I have also a problem with my battery rack 48v 11.6ah, the led on the power button stays on, and i cant turn the battery off. I mailed Paul he told me that the BMS is damaged and that the BMS manufacture changed the revision without telling Em3ev. So i think i am not the only one with the problem with the Battery . MY motor runs fine for now.. i doubt for how long it stays that way before the fet's give out :?:
o0vvpz.jpg

Well, you do not know whose fault it is, i.e. where the last programming took place... Anyway, he is trying to help and this is the most important for now.

Back