• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

EM3EV Hard Case Battery Issue

99cruiser

1 µW
Hello all,

I upgraded my Ariel rider x-class using the 20" fat tire leafmotor kit with 40a KT controller and EM3EV 52v rectangular hard case battery. I mounted the battery on the downtube. When I hit a bump I can hear the battery bounce inside the polycarbonate case. If hold the battery case and turn it upside down you can feel and hear the battery sliding inside the case. Any suggestions on putting foam or other material inside the case to prevent the movement?

Depending on how much space there is, inner tube rubber, neoprene, piece of yoga mat.

Hi 99,

I have the same EM3ev battery.I wasn't aware that they provided a downtube mount for this matter - mine is mounted on a simple padded inclined cradle sitting behind my seat post and under the rear rack on my Big Dummy. The battery gets quite a lot of road shock despite the padding (which is just thin rubber strip on the cradle) and has proved extremely robust - my understanding is that there is already some antishock padding or 'potting' inside. If yours feels like it is rattling around inside the case I would strongly encourage you to contact Paul and his colleagues for a solution. IMHO the EM3ev batteries are built to a high standard and I reckon they'd be keen to back up their product.

samsavvas said:
Hi 99,

I have the same EM3ev battery.I wasn't aware that they provided a downtube mount for this matter - mine is mounted on a simple padded inclined cradle sitting behind my seat post and under the rear rack on my Big Dummy. The battery gets quite a lot of road shock despite the padding (which is just thin rubber strip on the cradle) and has proved extremely robust - my understanding is that there is already some antishock padding or 'potting' inside. If yours feels like it is rattling around inside the case I would strongly encourage you to contact Paul and his colleagues for a solution. IMHO the EM3ev batteries are built to a high standard and I reckon they'd be keen to back up their product.

I contacted EM3ev and they said the battery wasn't designed to be rigidly mounted to the frame but if I do mount it I should use some cushion between the case and frame. Plus I can add some expanding foam inside the case to prevent any rattling. I currently strapped the battery to the downtube with some straps but plan to fabricate a better mount.

Attachments

• PXL_20210131_210026300.jpg
    PXL_20210131_210026300.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 462
As 999zip999 has alluded to, a triangular frame bag (commonly available) with strategically placed high-density foam padding inside to support and hold the battery may well be your most effective and practicable solution on that rather small bike.

If the battery is rattling inside the case stop whatever you are doing and fix that problem!!! It WILL damage the cell overtime and WILL become a fire hazard!!!!!!!

After you fixed that you can think of a better mount.

Paul said it was designed for a battery bag or mounted on a cargo rack. He said I should add padding to the battery. I opened the case and added some rubber strips and now the battery doesn't move inside. The plastic battery pack inside the hard shell had a small amount of space to slide around. I am adding some 1/4 neoprene padding to the outside of the battery case. I saw another member mount the hard shell EM3ev triangle case in a c channel mount on the down tube. I want to keep the weight lower on the frame. I am going to cut apart an aluminum step ladder to use as a c channel to hold the battery on the downtube.

Back