endless bike repair

muffinman

100 W
im stuck in a perpetual state of bike repair. it seems as though i will never be caught up. this isnt a complaint, exactly, i just want to vent about my mild frustration.
it all started when i visited my local community bike shop. "diy repairs! workshops!" lured me in like a siren. my bike, woefully neglected for 3 plus years, steered me in of its own accord. i was greeted warmly by the kind volunteer staff, and explained the state of things (that is, i know nothing, and want to learn everything.). bless their hearts, they actually seemed enthused by this. so, i put my bike up in a stand, and looked it over with the knowlegable staff member as if i knew what i was looking at. "well, your chain is pretty streched, but not dead yet" huh? "but everything else seems ok" thank god! "for now, you may want to clean your chain and cassette". i got clarification on what i didnt understand, then set to cleaning my chain. um, apparently the chain wasnt black. nor was the cassette. clean is a relative term to me. i left that day with a list of other little tasks i wanted to do, such as changing housing and cables, and maybe even regreasing the hubs. so i came back a few more times, adjusting things and cleaning more parts. then i met "rusty": a cannondale m500 that had been seriously abused, but had no frame issues. es had its hooks in me, and all i saw was a beautiful conversion waiting to happen. so i bought it, and began working on it. i called it "rusty" for a reason. any part that could rust, sieze, or otherwise be difficult, was. took at least 24 hours of shop time, till i finally could test ride it. another 6 and i took it home! had 2 weeks of awesome single speed bombing around town (did i mention it has no shifters?), before i attempted to make some much needed comfort adjustment. the headset? metal flakes found among the bearings, from mild pitting in the cups. bearable for now. the stem? too short for me. the seatpost? finally got it out today, after another 6 hours shop time of 3 guys struggling with it.

the stem is still a problem, and cant be replaced easily, as the bike has cantilever brakes, and the front brake cable is routed through the stem... so more hours, and now money too, as i intend to change the brakes to vbrakes, and add rapidfire shifters. couple weeks till i can get them, so the bike enters project status again, and moves back to the shops basement.
now, my original bike is also currently grounded! the tires were reaching dangerous levels of wear, with threads poking out and deep cracks. bought new tires, but bent my old metal levers trying to get them on. theoretically, they should fit. either im doing it wrong, they dont fit, or im just not holding my tongue right. anyway, im back to pedestrian status.
i love this work! i get such satisfaction solving these problems! but each one i solve seems to breed two more. oh well, c'est la vie!

muffins said:
i love this work! i get such satisfaction solving these problems! but each one i solve seems to breed two more. oh well, c'est la vie!

Great post buddy, good to hear you in getting your hands dirt learning things all whilst getting some personal enjoyment and satisfaction....next, custom built frame?!? lol....baby steps :lol: ..... kudos to you anyways mate keep at it

KiM

lol custom frames are a longterm dream!goal. how hard can it be? :p

Very good you have that place to learn stuff, and see what tools you want to buy later. I just had to ruin bikes till I learned a few things in my youth.

Awesome you got that seat post out. Often enough a frame just twists trying to budge one that first bit.

Working on bikes is frustrating, but not nearly as bad as working on a tractor or truck as old as you are. To loosen any bolt, it's break it, cut it, or drill it out.

But an old bike can be more than you think to bring back to life. I just did my wifes old Gitane, which had been in a garage or shed since about 82. To my surprise, none of my bike tools fit, and some things didn't get done, like greasing the bottom bracket. It was 4 times more work to get er going than I expected.

Cleaned up, with new rubber, shoes, and all cables, I was pleased to realize just what a fine bike that Gitane is. A bit historical and sentimental, the bike was the first real racing ten speed ever to appear in Las Cruces in the early 70's. It belonged to a friend, who went much further in bike racing than I did. That bike was his first racer, about 3 pounds lighter than my Peugot. First bike I ever saw with aluminum cranks. First bike I saw with sew up tires. Then like 8 years later, I meet my wife and and say, "Hey, I know that bike." Still a very fine ride, but the rims got changed to clinchers when she bought it. It still has the lightest tires I could find on it.

ive decided to make this thread my log, if you will, of my bike repair adventures. i doubt it will be exciting, but it may be useful.
finally got tires on the norco. had to exchange for a different, more expensive tire. schwalbe citizens, 26x1.75. the cheap ones, though labelled as 26x1.5 would not fit on my rim, that is rated for 1.5 to 2.125 tires. oh well, these new ones are beautiful, and i flew on them. ride is a bit rough at 60psi though, will have to try dropping it a bit.

Back