Enforcing aluminium frame with carbon fibre?

Tomblarom

10 W
I bought a cheap full-suspension frame for Brose (Bulls E-Stream Evo-TR-2 2019) which I'm currently working on, to install the even more powerfull Bafang M600. Meanwhile I saw at least 3 independent reports about cracking frames at the exact same spot.

Is it possible to enforce the aluminium structure from the outside using carbon fibre? Does this really make a difference?

There is a guy in our Facebook Group, that did a similar technique, a while ago. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2323768714344360/posts/3552633774791175/

Why don't you get rid of it and use something that isn't known for breaking?

Yes, but glass fiber is cheaper and better fit due to similar CTE (might delaminate on large temperature swings). Also good GF actually *tougher* than cheap carbon, but heavier and less stiff, which again makes it a good mach for aluminium.
Sand, degrease, use good epoxy.

Carbon fiber overwrap is a thing, for certain repairs.
If the frame breaks there is it likely to cause a crash?

Chalo said:
Why don't you get rid of it and use something that isn't known for breaking?

Because I already done a heck of development and custom fitting to implement the locking mechanism of the intube battery. Wasn't expecting, this frame to be so fragile... I got it for cheap and want to give it a try. I expect it to break at somepoint, but want to compensate by enforcing from the outside.

Would you guys recommend welding an additional aluminium piece or does it weaken the exisiting structure too much?

That frame is designed by a moron who can't resolve forces.

I second Chalo. Give up on it, it's a piece of crap.

Edit: sorry i just realized it's not actually a cheap piece of crap.

But the person who designed it still can't resolve forces. It's going to break again.

It's just terrible. Try warranty.

Tomblarom said:
Because I already done a heck of development and custom fitting to implement the locking mechanism of the intube battery. Wasn't expecting, this frame to be so fragile... I got it for cheap and want to give it a try. I expect it to break at somepoint, but want to compensate by enforcing from the outside.

Sounds like you might be suffering from the sunk cost fallacy.

If somebody came to you and said "Hey I have a used full suspension bike with a custom locking mechanism for the battery, but to be perfectly honest the entire thing is probably going to break in half one of these days"... Would you buy it from them?

If the answer to that question is "yes", then go ahead and spend the money to save it. Otherwise it could be time to move on. Shit happens. This could be why you were able to find it cheap in the first place.

Maybe you can find another used Brose-based bike with the same battery mechanism that doesn't suffer from this flaw.

Would you guys recommend welding an additional aluminium piece or does it weaken the exisiting structure too much?

If you weld on it then it's going to ruin that heat treatment. So were the reinforcement ends you'll have 3 types of metal: Extra thick metal were the reinforcement and welded material is, a short amount softened aluminum in the "heat effected zone", and then hardened original aluminum that wasn't heated past the critical point. This is going to severely weaken the frame in those areas. It's called a stress riser and instead of the stress of the tube being flexed across the entire tube it will be concentrated in that small area of softness.

All of this depends on the specific alloy of aluminum and things of that nature that are beyond me. If the alloy permits it a very good welder who is skilled with a tig torch that can identify and mitigate these problems can probably get it done properly and make the bike significantly stronger. But I expect that would be quite expensive.

If it was a cheap 'high tensile steel' frame you can get away with shenanigans like that with little issue. But on chromoly steel frames or aluminum frames designed to maximize strength to weight ratios it's much more difficult. Those heat treatments are critical to their thin wall strength.

Personally, I'd also try to reinforce it, but again, more wraps of GF is a better fit for reinforcement than carbon I think.
But area looks pretty tricky to simply 'wrap' it, it looks like a major stress concentrator spot.
If you weld on enough metal to compensate for further drop in strength due to loss of heat treatment it should work, right, but will likely look ugly...

I ended up contacting a professional here in Germany, that did a wonderful welding job! He removed the factory gusset and replaced it with a longer one. He works internationally so feel free to contact him. Absolutely recommend him and his skills! https://www.rotte-schweisstechnik.de/fahrradrahmen-reparatur

Check it out:

Kudos for not taking "no way" for an answer! I still wonder about the effect on the heat treatment of the frame but it looks like the fabricator you had do the work knows how to lay down a bead so in turn may know more about it than any of us?

Carry on with the build and it will make a good addition to your Bafang fleet!

Back