EV Power motor + custom battery/controller

miholc

1 µW
Hello,

this is my first post here. If someone knows where to read more, please send me link.

I want to convert my GIANT Rincon to front motor driver with the following motor:
http://www.ev-power.eu/EVBike-Kits-1-1/E-bike-conversion-kit-EVBike-36V-500W-Front.html

I will ditch the controller as I want to power with my own made custom battery pack consisting of 12S of:
http://www.ev-power.eu/LiFePO4-small-cells/Lithium-Cylindrical-Cell-LiFePO4-3-2V-15Ah-48Wh.html

Questions are:

1.What do you suggest for the controller?
2. Can the motor be powered from even more cells?
3. Any better suggestions for the motor/cell/controller? I live in Europe.

Thanks!

Miha

miholc said:
Questions are:

1.What do you suggest for the controller?
2. Can the motor be powered from even more cells?
3. Any better suggestions for the motor/cell/controller? I live in Europe.

Thanks!

Miha

Welcome to ES.

I'm not sure what hub motor or controller that kit is using, so some of this is guesswork. 12S LiFePO4 cells would give you about 38 to 40V, which would probably be fine with that controller and, as they say, it can have the speed restriction removed to allow speeds of up to 30kmh.

An alternative controller probably wouldn't work with the LCD display in that kit.

The motor could undoubtedly be run at a higher voltage, which will make the wheel spin faster, but unless the current limit is also increased you may not actually go much faster.

I would suggest that, as this is your first ebike, you get the kit (if the supplier is fairly local to you), fit a 12S battery and see how it goes. This will allow you to gain experience and a feel for how ebikes work and you may then want to consider making some modifications.

Alternatively, you could decide to build up an ebike from scratch, using just the components you need. Wheels and hub motors are available in a wide range of power, weight and size options, usually direct from China at good prices (but may involve paying high shipping and import charges to Europe), as are controllers and batteries. If we had an idea of the sort of speed and range you need we could probably suggest some options that might help.

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your quick reply.

1. This kit and their cells uses my father on his bike, all works very OK. But trying 12S on his bike, honestly I do not want to mess around. :oops:
2. You can suggest me motor/controller/electronics combo from other reliable source that people have tested.
My wishes are:
A. speeds up to 50 km/h (~30 mph)
B. Range at least 30 km
C. I want to use 12S to 14S LiFePo4 15Ah cells from above source.

Thanks for all your help :)

Best regards,
Miha

The controller is 9 continents' 9 fet controller set to 31.5V LVC.
The bms board and and battery assembly parts at ev-power are on a bit expensive side compared to other retailers but isn't that bad when you get the cells from there anyway.
For the speed, you really need more than 12S, 16S is around 40kph with the motor and shipped controller which has 63V capacitors.
I've tried to re-program the controller with usb-ttl adapter and xpd (http://xpd.berlios.de) but haven't had luck getting parameters uploaded yet, possibly because of the momentary connecting of the all 4 wires during programming.
I think the LCD display/power limiter is connected to cycle analyst port on the controller, got older kit which didn't ship with the display but the controller looks the same from the picture.

Thanks Bor for the info. So you are saying, that stock 20A controller works OK with 16S? 40 km/h is not bad. What about the current draw? Any other problems?

King meter LCD unit, good stuff they offer a nicer unit with current settings that I'm testing out soon

As far as I know the pin outs aren't the same as a CA connector, but I'll double check that.

50Kmh from 12s is an unlikely task

Back