EV Range Anxiety - Two suggestions

Electric car drivers suffer from "range anxiety". Two ways to combat this occur to me:
1. Wind generator owners can fit high-rate charging points at their base and charge a premium for a rescue recharge. This reduces range anxiety and gives an incentive to put up wind-generators.
2. An adjunct to the AA (AAA in the USA) could be a mobile rescue service which electric car owners pay extra to join, whereby they will be rescued by a mobile truck that carries a diesel generator able to give a fast-charge.

3) Uhaul could offer a "Trailer-Pack" that members can hitch-up to extend range or have delivered to an EV'er having an OOPS* experience.

*Out Of Pack Supply

I think someone should come out with a micro generator for our bikes using a weedeater engine and an RC motor as the generator head. A hybrid drive is cool for the bike, but I like the flexibility of being able to generate electricity while parked. Of course, setting my bikes up properly so pedal only is a viable backup is something I really should do.

Don't want to rain on you parade (far from it) but what about people who don't have a hitch. "Is that a metric hitch sir or an imperial?" (An imperialist hitch-moment?)
Still for those who have the right hitch it's a good idea.(No hitch then) :D

Simple enough to design a hitch into the ev. How the heck else do you use your hitch mount bike rack to carry your racing E-bike?

Towing guys will love EV's for sure, but eventually it will only be a short drive to a charging point. But bringing a trailer mounted generator -Charger would be a good solution. Rent em for the longer trips. Even one that merely extended range 50% would be quite handy.

On a bike scale, it's a snap. Just pop two bricks of lipo in the panniers for a 5-10 mile reserve tank. No heavier than a quart of water.

paultrafalgar said:
Don't want to rain on you parade (far from it) but what about people who don't have a hitch. "Is that a metric hitch sir or an imperial?" (An imperialist hitch-moment?)
Still for those who have the right hitch it's a good idea.(No hitch then) :D

A hitch can be custom fit to any vehicle. ;)

I have to agree with Dogman, for E-bikes use some LiPo if you must have a spare battery, plus..they DO have pedals!

For an E-motorcycle, I don't see any useful method other than careful planning to ensure you don't run dry on the road, and have to call for help. Cumbersome to tow a trailer (though possible) and a spare battery in your saddle-bag would get drained so quickly, it might not be worth the cost, bulk, and weight.

For a full-sized EV, I think the gen-trailer is great. You would rarely need it, and if you ran dry out on the road due to poor planning, your friend/relative could tow the gen to you for a road-side charge-up. I think its a great idea to have a back-up gen in the garage for your home, so getting one is not wasted money at all. When a tornado, hurricane, brushfire, flood, etc occurs...the first thing in serious demand is electricity (along with clean water and food).

Having a small on-board charger for a top-off would be very useful for opportunity-charging, but a large home smart-charger should remain the main charging device (cell balancing, optimum charge profile, etc)

paultrafalgar said:
Electric car drivers suffer from "range anxiety". Two ways to combat this occur to me:
1. Wind generator owners can fit high-rate charging points at their base and charge a premium for a rescue recharge. This reduces range anxiety and gives an incentive to put up wind-generators.
2. An adjunct to the AA (AAA in the USA) could be a mobile rescue service which electric car owners pay extra to join, whereby they will be rescued by a mobile truck that carries a diesel generator able to give a fast-charge.

AAA launches roadside charging service for electric vehicles in WA

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- Electric vehicle drivers who run out of juice on the road can now get a roadside charge from AAA in Washington.

The roadside service company launched its first mobile charging truck in the state Wednesday, as an alternative to towing electric vehicles to a charging station. The truck can provide members with all-electric vehicles 10-to-15 minutes of charge time. That will allow the vehicle to drive three to 15 miles to a charging station. Similar to existing AAA trucks, the new unit can also provide light-duty emergency road services, such as jump starts and tire changes. The truck is the fourth in AAA’s fleet on the West Coast, but the first in Washington. It's also the first to provide a charge from the truck’s engine. The other three vehicles in Oregon and California create the power using gasoline or alternative fuels.

Ask and you shall receive. KF :mrgreen:
Sorry it took so long...

What's range anxiety, when every pole has potential :wink:

On board metering required of course.

Just carry your 10,000v ( Or whatever it is) to 120v transformer. No problem. Or just charge at 10,000v that shouldn't take long. :twisted: Too bad the 120v drops to the house are insulated.

Give em EV's in some countries and they'll do exactly that, no joke. I can see them building their transformers from old coffee cans now. The house of course, likely already has the wire that bypasses the meter. :mrgreen:

dogman said:
Just carry your 10,000v ( Or whatever it is) to 120v transformer. No problem. Or just charge at 10,000v that shouldn't take long. :twisted: Too bad the 120v drops to the house are insulated.

Give em EV's in some countries and they'll do exactly that, no joke. I can see them building their transformers from old coffee cans now. The house of course, likely already has the wire that bypasses the meter. :mrgreen:

Gonna need to make one mean badboy charger or kick arse neon sign tranny backways. Or just the 415, 3 phase @100A from the lv lines, over here, would be give a coffe break charge :D.
The insulated dropper could be gotten around, i think the army, your side of the pond, have spiked overhead line taps on rods for such occassions :p
This is no word of a lie, i work with 'liney's we call them down here, electric line workers and the old guys say they use to tap the lines all the time, theyre mostly bare 3 phase 415V here, for kettle, power tools, but due to WH&S had to give it up.
Working in the power industry i got to watch those safety videos from eastern block and asia were guys are utubed accidently blowing up hv and making a mess, probably trying to cook the rice dinner and boom, picked the hv by mistake :shock:.

Back