Even Newer 4 to 24-cell Battery Management System (BMS)

ejonesss said:
i am looking for a replacement tc54 for the bms board and i looked on mouser and while the exact 579-TC54VC2102EZB is out of stock with 10 week lead time i was wondering if

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... OOEQ%3d%3d will be ok?

i found that 2 of them failed resulting on overdischarging 2 cells.

thanks and please let me know asap i am somewhat in a panic here.

update even digikey is out of stock of the exact one.

update 2: i just ordered the surface mount version to do until the normal version gets back in stock.

PM me your addy and I'll send you a couple to shorten your wait. You can return them when yours arrive.
Duane

Maybe a stupid question since mouser does not has stock on the TC54VC2102EZB can this one be replaced by TC54VC2102ECB713

proempiet said:
Maybe a stupid question since mouser does not has stock on the TC54VC2102EZB can this one be replaced by TC54VC2102ECB713

No, this is the surface mount version. The "CB" means SOT-23 packaging. "ZB" is the TO-92 part. See page 13 here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21434g.pdf

You can, however, substitute the non-complementary output version, the TC54VN2102EZB. Mouser doesn't stock that normally, but Digikey does: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=TC54VN2102EZB-ND

-- Gary

that is what i ordered and will have to settle with dangling wires upwards like shown

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=14817

also when mouser gets the part back in stock i am considering ordering a bunch for you es'ers so when mouser runs out i can sell them to keep you es'ers happy for a while.

proempiet said:

The ones at Digikey should work fine.
TC54VN2102EZB-ND is really the part I designed the board for. You don't need to dead-bug them, they go in exactly like the other ones.
They show nearly 2,000 in stock.

unfortunately i would have to sign up for a digikey account and painstakingly enter more delivery details just for a store i am going to only use once.

also digikey does not have the bom features either.

fechter said:
The ones at Digikey should work fine.
TC54VN2102EZB-ND is really the part I designed the board for. You don't need to dead-bug them, they go in exactly like the other ones.
They show nearly 2,000 in stock.

@ggoodrum or anyone who has a lot of experience with a123 cells.

i was wondering if a cell is stressed by a lack of lvc protection can the cell be recovered?

because like i posted earlier about what happened with the bms board a cell did get stressed but fortunately when the lvc kicks in it is so close to the controller's lvc that the cell could not have been stressed too much?

thanks for the help there

What did the resting voltage of the cell end up at? If it didn't go too far below about 2.0V, it probably is okay. One way to tell is fully charge the cell, wait about 10-15 minutes and then check the voltage. Healthy a123 cells will hold the surface charge, up around 3.55-3.60V. Stressed cells will not hold the surface charge at all, and after about 10 minutes the voltage will drop to somewhere between 3.35-3.45V, depending on how stressed/damaged it got.

-- Gary

I plan to use this bms on about 42 Thundersky 160 Ah cells, but I am a bit nervous about overcharging as the charging current during the initial constant current phase will be about 20 to 30 A. I plan to use a Manzanita PFC20 or PFC30 charger which can be set to charge in constant current mode to a preset (pack) voltage, then it cuts back to under 1 A charging current for a time determined by a preset timer. Seems like it should work if I set the preset voltage to about 3.6V per cell or 150V, yes? Fetcher previously warned that the difference in pack charged and discharged voltage must be less than 100V. I only intend to discharge at most 70%, so maybe 2.9V per cell from say 3.8V so about 38V difference. Even 2.7V per cell is only about 46V. What do you think?

tomw said:
I plan to use this bms on about 42 Thundersky 160 Ah cells, but I am a bit nervous about overcharging as the charging current during the initial constant current phase will be about 20 to 30 A. I plan to use a Manzanita PFC20 or PFC30 charger which can be set to charge in constant current mode to a preset (pack) voltage, then it cuts back to under 1 A charging current for a time determined by a preset timer. Seems like it should work if I set the preset voltage to about 3.6V per cell or 150V, yes? Fetcher previously warned that the difference in pack charged and discharged voltage must be less than 100V. I only intend to discharge at most 70%, so maybe 2.9V per cell from say 3.8V so about 38V difference. Even 2.7V per cell is only about 46V. What do you think?

Couple of things. First of all, there's no problem running 20-30A in the CC mode, even if the current isn't dropped to 1A. The charger control logic actually limits the current anyway, by using a FET to cutoff the charge current completely when any channel's shunt comes on full. This causes the voltage in the cell to drop slightly, causing the FET to come back on. This oscillation keeps the shunts right at their limit, without becoming swamped. For this to work right, however, the charger max voltage needs to be just higher than the sum of the shunt voltages. With the specified voltage divider resistors, the shunt voltage is 3.68V. With 42 cells in series, the sum would be 154.6V, so the charger should be a bit above 155V. If you only want to charge your cells to 3.60V, you need to adjust the resistor values slightly. If you use 68k instead of 75k, that should drop the shunt voltage to 3.57V, so the sum for 42 in series would be 150V. The charger needs to max out at about 151V. If the charger limit is 150V, then you could use a resistor value of 66.5k in place of the 75k, which sets the shunt voltage to 3.56V, and the sum would be 149.5V.

-- Gary

update 1: i just charged them and surprisingly they all came back up pretty quickly so it may be recovering.

update 2: i just checked them again for up to 20 minutes and they are at 3.6x.

i may be lucky since the controller's lvc is close to the voltage sag under load ( when under load it is a volt or 2 from the controller's lvc when the bms lvc kicks in so it may be lucky).

also i saw on the a123 site the specs call for an lvc of 1.6 volt under pulsed discharge mode so i wonder if that may have something to do with it?

also is the formula still the same or did a123 systems change the formula resulting in better stress management/recovery.

the cell rests at 3.3 to 3.4 when not connected to the bms.

all the cells are pretty much balanced

does the board creat a load on the cells even when the 2 minus wires are not connected?

if so that explains the false reading.

i am going to have to re charge them and then disconnect the bms and let you know again.

GGoodrum said:
What did the resting voltage of the cell end up at? If it didn't go too far below about 2.0V, it probably is okay. One way to tell is fully charge the cell, wait about 10-15 minutes and then check the voltage. Healthy a123 cells will hold the surface charge, up around 3.55-3.60V. Stressed cells will not hold the surface charge at all, and after about 10 minutes the voltage will drop to somewhere between 3.35-3.45V, depending on how stressed/damaged it got.

-- Gary

Eric --

I think the cells are fine, if the are holding 3.6V that long after being charged.

To answer your other question, the BMS does not put any real load on the cells/pack if the charger control logic is not powered, which would mean the small negative wire is not connected to anything. The TC54s draw a few uA in the standby mode, but that is about it. The self discharge rate of the cells is higher.

-- Gary

Hello,
Can I replace the TC54VC2102EZB by the TC54VN2102EZB on the new BMS present version?
Because it is not possible to find the TC54VC, but one finds the TC54VN at Digi-Key.
Thanks !

mimichris said:
Hello,
Can I replace the TC54VC2102EZB by the TC54VN2102EZB on the new BMS present version?
Because it is not possible to find the TC54VC, but one finds the TC54VN at Digi-Key.
Thanks !

Yes, it will work fine.

Thanks Mr Fechter !

When do I use the regeneration of the battery with the system of the BMS (on-line brake-GND on the controller) is it that the limitation of load maximum of the battery to 3.6V functions as with the charger, for me, it seems that no, because one supply the pack of battery directly by the controller without passing by the system of tension maximum limitation to 3.6V who functions with the charger, is this exact? In this case, one risks to overload the battery if it is not empty and that one has big coming down for example in mountain.

(excuse me because my English is not good, I am French...)

Maxime

Yes, during regeneration you could exceed the voltage set point since you are bypassing the charge control FET. The cell shunts will still be working however, and will help limit the voltage to some extent. If you have a way to control the amount of regen current, you could interface to the 'any shunts' line on the BMS to reduce the regen current if any cell gets over the set point.

Normally, if you went up the mountian first, you could never overcharge on the way down since regenerative braking is very lossy and you might recover about 25% of the energy if you are lucky.

Doctorbass said:
Crazy Steveo.. 48 series cells on a 5304 :twisted:

Pay attention to avoid your rear tire getting out of the rim with centrifugal force while runing at 88mph!! :lol:

88mph on a steel rim would make beautifull firework!!..

Doc
lol im working on geting some nice tires for him dont wory :p or we can just down size to a 20 and get crazy torq lol

Hello Mr Fechter,

I don't understand the role of "any shunt active" and " all shunt active ", can explain yourselves me.
Thanks,
Maxime

Any shunt active means one or more cells has its shunt fully activated and it is time to reduce the charging current to prevent going overvoltage. The any shunt line throttles the charge current.

The all shunt active line swings when all of the shunts are on, indicating all cells are up to voltage and charging can terminate. The all shunts line triggers the shutoff, which latches the charging current off.

In the note of the BMS "test instructions" it is written :

..........This oscillation has the net effect of keeping the shunts at full bypass, but not getting swamped,
which would cause the shunts to overheat. Like the LVC circuits, the shunt optos outputs are all ganged
together, so that if any one turns on, the FET will turn off, cutting power.........

On my BMS Tppacks with Ping battery 36V and 15Ah, 12 cells, I didn't notice an oscillation, when I plug the charger (charger Ping 36V and 2A), the bicolored led is orange, and orange remainder lasting all the time of the load, once the loaded cells, leds oranges ignite the then once some after others they are all alight, they die out enough quickly and the bicolored led becomes green.

Is what this working is normal on my BMS ?

mimichris said:
On my BMS Tppacks with Ping battery 36V and 15Ah, 12 cells, I didn't notice an oscillation, when I plug the charger (charger Ping 36V and 2A), the bicolored led is orange, and orange remainder lasting all the time of the load, once the loaded cells, leds oranges ignite the then once some after others they are all alight, they die out enough quickly and the bicolored led becomes green.

Is what this working is normal on my BMS ?

It sounds fine, to me. The oscillation happens at a fast rate, so you aren't going to see it. The LED being orange is an indication the oscillation is happening, because the red and green portions are alternating on and off. It goes solid green after all the shunts are fully operating, which means the cells are full.

-- Gary

fechter said:
Jay64 said:
So does this not have a function to monitor discharge?

Let me try to clarify:

The BMS board needs a connection to the main pack + and -, as well as one wire to each connection between cells. All of the between cell wires won't carry much current, so they can be very small gauge wire.

The main + and - wires from the pack need to go to the controller (big fat wires) and to the charger (wire size depends on charger amps).

A picture would be good here:

In fact, I made the inverse, I used the 1,2,3,4 ...6,7,8,9... .11,12,13,14, for 12 cells, and it functions well, finally, it seems to me, because cells are all loaded in end of load.

Back