Extra Wide Crank Set (spindle alone?)

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
I am needing to replace our current crank spindle, and I can only seem to find them as a set:

widecrank2.jpg

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit...-assembly.html#product_tabs_product-questions

Anyone have an idea where I can buy just the spindle?

Thanks!

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/components/drive-train/bottom-bracket/bottom-bracket-small-parts/spindles-and-axles

Thanks for the link, however, what I need isn't available from most typical bicycle supplies, the spindle is for a 68mm BB (American converted to Euro, so could be either style) that is typically used in stink bike kits, as I need a 9 3/4 inch (247mm) from pedal to pedal length to clear the mid-drive of this bike:

IMG_0048_zpsoaq3ovzc.jpg

Yeah, maybe I should ride with a "wide load" placard on the trailer. :p

Being a PITA finding the spindle by it's self, other than converting to a much more robust crank set such as here:

004.54151926_std.JPG

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wi...r_clearing_4_stroke_motors68mm_bottom_bracket

I don't think I really need to add another 4" to the width of our current 9 /34" crank spindle, but I can see where these wider crank spindles will put much more strain on the BB's bearings than the typical 120ish mm, so maybe that is the route I will need to take.

Sickbikeparts.com used to have several bare spindles but all I see now is a couple of the bare ones that don't look long enough, and several complete units.

What's wrong with the one you have now that it has to be replaced?

That's not really a bicycle anymore. It's like one of those stupid scooter things that has useless pedals stuck on the side. Isn't it a more intriguing technical problem to solve to make an e-bike that's still a good bicycle?

china_electric_moped_orange.jpg

amberwolf said:
Sickbikeparts.com used to have several bare spindles but all I see now is a couple of the bare ones that don't look long enough, and several complete units.

What's wrong with the one you have now that it has to be replaced?

I am really hard on pedal cranks, I have always up-graded to sealed bearing types on all my bikes because I am "masher" not a "spinner" and the typical square crank spindles just don't take the abuse, and since this is an extra wide spindle, I think the effect is magnified.

999zip999 said:
They have one 12in wide. Wow. You be walking like a cowboy.

Hehe you would think!

I was kinda leery in the beginning thinking it would be awkward with such wide cranks, but it really isn't.

But ya, 12" is waaaay wider than I need, just the 9ish" wide I have now will clear the mid-drive just fine.

LI-ghtcycle said:
I am really hard on pedal cranks, I have always up-graded to sealed bearing types on all my bikes because I am "masher" not a "spinner" and the typical square crank spindles just don't take the abuse, and since this is an extra wide spindle, I think the effect is magnified.

Did you spall out the races on the one you have, or are you replacing it preemptively?

The bearings of a loose ball bottom bracket are usually MUCH stronger than the cartridges in a unit BB. They're not only bigger, with bigger balls, but they are oriented to better withstand the forces of pedaling. They fail earlier either from contamination, poor lubrication, or incorrect bearing adjustment. But it's true that they do often fail earlier than a sealed unit would.

If you have a loose ball BB that is difficult to replace, then my advice is to overhaul it yearly or whenever you can hear it, use lots of waterproof grease, and take care to keep it in proper adjustment.

Chalo said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

Did you spall out the races on the one you have, or are you replacing it preemptively?

The bearings of a loose ball bottom bracket are usually MUCH stronger than the cartridges in a unit BB. They're not only bigger, with bigger balls, but they are oriented to better withstand the forces of pedaling. They fail earlier either from contamination, poor lubrication, or incorrect bearing adjustment. But it's true that they do often fail earlier than a sealed unit would.

If you have a loose ball BB that is difficult to replace, then my advice is to overhaul it yearly or whenever you can hear it, use lots of waterproof grease, and take care to keep it in proper adjustment.

Unfortunately, the spindle is badly spalled, it could be that the "no name" ebay spindle was just poor quality to begin with (I argued against it's use from the beginning but was over-ruled) and I agree, cup and cone when properly maintained is generally stronger.

I have had much better luck with the "over sized" sealed bearings set-ups, I would have to look it up to give you exactly what I have used on my recumbent, but it's one where it uses larger sealed bearings that are outside the Euro styled BB in cups on the ends (mine is by FSA, I want to say it's ISIS splined but I really don't remember).

I am wanting to use something with over-sized sealed bearings on a 19mm (3/4") shaft mainly because I am also putting a lot more stress on the BB when I pedal since I pull a 150lb trailer too.

I also prefer a better set-up than the cottered chain ring we are currently using since I have next to no options for different sized rings, and I don't believe the original crank sert-up is even being sold on Ebay anymore (not that I want to go that route again! :roll: :lol: )

It has been very sad having to NOT pedal these last few days, I had a really weird feeling as I passed 3 sheriffs' officers pulling my trailer on the way to work going about 18 MPH hehe.

I feel like I am doing something wrong when I cannot pedal, plus I would really like to train for a long trip, so I am anxious to get a new spindle that will allow me to pedal again! :D

My advice is get a cheap 3-piece BMX crank with 19mm spindle, a 19mm internal or external BB for your frame, then have a good welder with a welding lathe cut and stretch your spindle for you. The crank will last forever, a steel OPC ring is cheap as dirt and should also last indefinitely, and the spindle, well spliced, should be no problem. Only the bearings are wear items, and they're relatively cheap and easy to swap.

fsa-bmx-34.jpg

Chalo said:
My advice is get a cheap 3-piece BMX crank with 19mm spindle, a 19mm internal or external BB for your frame, then have a good welder with a welding lathe cut and stretch your spindle for you. The crank will last forever, a steel OPC ring is cheap as dirt and should also last indefinitely, and the spindle, well spliced, should be no problem. Only the bearings are wear items, and they're relatively cheap and easy to swap.

fsa-bmx-34.jpg

Ya, that would be a good option too, but I will look into square taper axles first as we'd like to keep the bling crank arms we have already, if we can get just the spindle & chain-ring/sprocket carrier, and source the rest from Al's normal suppliers, that would be ideal, otherwise it looks like once Custom Motored Bicycles is done with inventory, we will most likely order from them.

I see a picture at the bottom of their list of axles that would be perfect, unfortunately, it's not a axle on their list of ones for sale, but hopefully it still exists or we can get the 13" one cut down closer to 10".

The other "must have" is an adjustable flange for the crank sprocket, as the chain line is not standard, so I think the keyed carrier will be ideal.

Back