Falco e-Motors

arkmundi said:
Can you list the main criteria in selecting a dealer so I can pre-qualify myself? I'd love to sell a really good kit into the Massachusetts market and expand the use of eBikes regionally.

Some of the things we look for are as follows:

1. Retail presence (brick and mortar store)
2. Experience with eBikes
3. Experience with handling eBike issues with expedient customer service
4. Initial purchase of three systems
5. Ability to market and advertise in the local market.

FalcoeMotors said:
arkmundi said:
Can you list the main criteria in selecting a dealer so I can pre-qualify myself? I'd love to sell a really good kit into the Massachusetts market and expand the use of eBikes regionally.

Some of the things we look for are as follows:

1. Retail presence (brick and mortar store)
2. Experience with eBikes
3. Experience with handling eBike issues with expedient customer service
4. Initial purchase of three systems
5. Ability to market and advertise in the local market.
Thanks, I believe I can do that. Would you or some Falco representative please PM me a phone number and/or other contact info so I might discuss? Pending that, I'd be happy to complete the application, which suggests some more stringent criteria. Thanks.

I just love this clean, no clutter, civilized installation of FALCO.
Controller built into motor and wireless console reduces wiring mess and makes FALCO kit installation so much simpler.
And what can FALCO achive just on 36V is impressive.
No worry about overheating hub also, you can hammer it all day will not burn.

Glad to find this forum for the Falco kits and am interested in finding out more, particularly about the higher powered systems (I see one dealer on LI is advertising a 1500W kit).

Many of you already know me from the old Tidalforce boards, where I was a moderator for several years, and from occasional posts here at ES. As far as I know I was the first TF owner to dope my ride (S750X) with lithium and am pleased to report that 15,000+ miles later my bike still runs better than new (see .8V sag on HobbyKing lipolys vs 7-8V sag on factory Saft NIMH battery hub)! I have a substantial 37V 24AH pack that gives me about 800 Watt hours of fast pleasure. Heavy bike for sure but I can average 25 mph for sixty minutes over hilly terrain and still scare the deer due to the silent motor. Copped a Mean Well 9.7A power supply a year ago that allows me a 50% topoff charge/range extension if I take a 50-minute coffee break en route somewhere I can find an outlet.

IAC I'm thinking about building a second ride with similar power (1100-1300W minimum continuous max) and am wondering which of the configurations Falco offers makes the most sense: 1000W or 1500W, 36v or 48V. I ride 90% quiet country blacktop; 10% country dirt roads and weigh 230 lb. Would probably build up a hard tail 26" MTB with front suspension and 2" chubby semi-slicks.

Is there anyone here with either of these kits, or even with a 750W motor @ 48V who can comment on power output and range? Are these new motors as dead silent as the original TFs?

Kudos to Rakesh for continuing to innovate here and push the quality and sophistication ever higher, and I wish him and his team all the success they deserve.

Finally, my two bits for making this a bulletproof system: Forget the wireless console, or at least offer a hard wired option or, better yet, a hard-wired CA instead. Too many glitches with all things wireless IMO, especially when you're cruising at 30-40 mph and in no need of extra distraction. Yes, wireless sounds sexy but I'll take robust and reliable any day of the week, and have been running one of Justin's excellent CA's for years on my bike with zero issues.

Larry Hayes

Larry: I'm running a 500w Falco on a Trek 7300 with 700c x 40 drive wheel, using an AllCell HE-3620. The motor is very quiet. I weigh 160 lbs. Top speed with me pedaling is 31 mph. Pedaling effort at 25 isn't real high. For your weight and the performance you want, I'd say you want at least the 750w motor. Falco's site doesn't detail it, but I think the higher power motors are wider than the 500w and it may mean restricting the freewheel width / number of cogs you will be able to have unless you go wider than 135mm.

I do like your idea of a hard-wired and CA controlled system.

hcrider

Here is the preview. Official launch scheduled for August/September:

10487511_838280056190787_8943548584380998447_n.jpg

10410267_838280059524120_2843546855150199278_n.jpg

Really….and you didn't show a photo with a Montague Paratrooper frame for an intro Tidalforce 3.0 version?!? :wink:

Is Falco going to offer a hardwire (backup), and maybe a CA option to go with the wireless?

My interest is in the Falco 1500 watt version, going on an original manly Tidalforce IO cruiser frame, so a test review with this setup would be nice.

Will Falco ever offer it's experience and skill in servicing the older original Wavecrest Tidalforce and Electric Motion System E+?

Thanks for posting.

We do have CA integration completed. We will be offering CA as a standard configuration for a lot of our models. We do have a TidalForce io cruiser. The idea is a good one to do a 1500W setup on it.

We can not service TidalForce or E+ systems. We do not have the technology documents or firmware for those systems to offer any meaningful repairs.

Thank You.

kauaikit,
Tidal Force is still being serviced by LEVT /Light Electric Vehicle Technologies/, it has always been since bankrupcy of Wavecrest.
Eplus the last time I checked is serviced by Rick Ruggiero , former Electric Motion System employee.
I bought front NMH hub from him just over a year ago /just to harvest electronics/.
But you ask interesting question - STG , designer of TF , Eplus and now Falco.
STG of course has expertise to service Eplus, but without tech documentation and firmware they cannot do much. All depends what agreements happened after EMS collapse.

Hey Miro....Yes, I'm aware that Shellie @ LEVT is still servicing the original Wavecrest Labs TF ebikes, I just wanted another "source" to go to as I'm too interested in the Falco 1,500 watt system to replace a couple of dead TF bikes and take advantage of their 5 year warranty! :)

BTW, I have 7 original TF ebikes and recently purchased a low miles (160) EMS Tidalforce M750 E+, that may have a defective dash/controller. It's a shame the E+ can't use a simple "jumper" like the original TF for a 3rd party battery swap.

I'm still pleased with the performance, and regen braking, of the original TF X bikes using 46.2v/16ah lithium batteries and losing the original heavy NiMH front battery hub. I'm still able to go 31.5mph (50.4kph @ 195lbs) on level ground in absolute silence. I understand it's using around 1900 watts @ around 58amp and it pulls hard. Which is why I'd be curious of a comparison, in performance, against Falco's 1500 watt version @ 60v. And of course a "cost" comparison over repairing the original TF hubs w/LEVT.

Maybe I can get a price break from Falco directly, and install their 1500 watt system on an original TF IO 750X cruiser frame, or EMS M750 E+, for testing and comparison? :)

Kit
S.CA

Attachments

• SideBest@360kb.JPG
    SideBest@360kb.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 4,009
Kit,

Great to hear from someone else who's still enjoying a souped up lithium powered TFX bike. I've had my S750X for almost eight years now and have around 15,000 miles on it with zero major issues. Besides the battery upgrade--I'm running a 37V 24Ah lipoly pack rated at 20C--the only other mods I've made are a Magura twist throttle, aerobars, and a 54T road chainring in front for high speed pedaling.

Quick question: I thought the Wavecrest software was programmed to disallow voltage over 46V but it sounds like you're running a little higher than that. Is 46.2V the real cutoff?

Separately, how in the world did you end up with 7 TF's and how many are still running? How many are X's?

Cheers,

Larry Hayes

Hello Larry….I've read your postings over the last 4 years after I purchased my first TF ebike (M750X-Sept '10) on the TF forums. It was bought from the original owner ($2,100 + $500 "B" battery), that stored it on the back of his RV. Easyrider in TX, that sold it new (KS), who had it in storage/warranty work for him for a couple of years. I offered him $350 and Easyrider gave me a quote of $250 to ship, which was $600. I didn't want to wait for ER to ship it (2wk est), so I rented a car and drove from S.CA to TX to pickup up the bike with one beige, and one gray "B" battery charger including service records. It was already setup including the rear heavy NiMH battery on a topeak rack. Turns out, something was "fishy", as the serial numbers from the warranty work receipts from LEVT didn't match the ones on the front/rear hubs when I picked it up from ER. ER too had just recently sold a few working "X" hubs that I suspect one was off Tom's TF bike I had just purchased.

I contacted Shellie @ LEVT for an estimate to inspect this bike (Sept '10), and it was suggested that I send her the front wheel, rear hub, dash & all the wiring. My fear was that I was going to get a bill for around $2k, so I decided I'd just find a parts bike for cheap and complete a working TF bike. This is how I purchased my second TF bike. A local craigslist seller had a like new blk TF IO 750 cruiser listed for $1,600. I purchased the bike for $500 without a charger, which only had 10 miles on it. Even after around 5/6 years in storage the front NiMH battery took a charge and gave me a range around 8 miles. This didn't last long, as the battery got weaker and weaker. So I decided to try the "jumper" fix (hat tip Green machine) and then use a third party battery. So I purchased two 18.5v/8ah Zippy batteries (42v/8ah) from HobbyKing to test. It worked. Though I needed more range, so I purchased another two Zippys for a 16ah pack. This was enough for a 12 mile (6 uphill + 6 downhill) ride, which turned out to be my regular cardio course I ride today. And as you well know, the silence of operation with the regen braking make these bikes incredible to ride. It's just that 20mph (turbo) was not fast enough for me. So I purchased my 3rd TF bike, when a seller had listed a red TF S750X, with only 11 miles on it for $1000 firm. It took me around a month of negotiating, but I bought it for $500 cash, though another TF bike without it's original charger, but I had a beige charger from my first purchase. This was around the time I figured I'd try combining a 18.5v/8ah & a 22.2v/8ah Turnigy Nano tech battery together for a 46.2v/8ah battery pack. It worked! Which increased the top speed, on this S750X, from 28'ish mph to 31.5mph (195lbs)! And after "puffing" a lithium battery or two, I then used 2 packs in parallel for a 46.2v/16ah pack, which worked for my 12 mile ride. This bike currently has 1,750 miles on it. Though Shellie is correct, as these amp hog TF bikes really require a minimum of a 20ah lithium battery pack. BTW, you are correct, as my non X IO 750 and IO 750 step cruisers don't like a battery over 46v, but the S750X and IO 750X are ok with a bit over.

My forth was a blk TF IO 750X cruiser (police edition) for $500 + shipping, fifth was a silver IO 750 step cruiser out of TX for $200 + shipping, sixth was a M750X for $220 stripped of parts, but included everything, and my 7th was another silver IO 750 step cruiser for $165. I then bought an 8th blk TF IO 750X cruiser (police edition) frame only from a local pawn shop for $95. My thinking was that the step cruisers were purchased as the "parts" bike I was looking for, but appears to be the perfect "girls" bike that my nieces and sister-n-law enjoy riding. It rides hard to 20mph with the 46v battery pack, even with my over weight (270lb) brother!

I too recently purchased, for a song, an Electric Motion System M750 E+ with only 160 miles on it. I was told by the owner/seller that this E+ had a second dash/controller that was installed and this too needed to be replaced. I've yet figured out it's problem though it shows a full battery for about 2 seconds and then shuts off.

Currently only the red S750X (using #2 IO 750X cruiser hub), black IO 750 cruiser and silver step IO 750 cruiser (3) are running as designed sharing the same Turnigy 46.2v/16ah battery pack. The first & #1 M750X has been patiently waiting, the #2 M750X just started to have major bearing noises (?), the original S750X hub started to "shimmy" after 400 miles as I suspect salt air from the Pacific ocean mist where it was stored is causing havoc with the rear hub. I've since swapped in the X hub from the #2 blk IO 750X for my rides as I prefer this frame setup for my cardio rides. And the IO 750 step cruiser from TX has an unknown "issue" though I've installed it's rear hub on the pawn shop blk IO 750X cruiser frame. All the bikes I've too increased the stock front chain rings from 48 to 53t for top end pedaling, and swapped in a shimano dynamo 26" disc wheel with added Avid BB7 calipers, to power a Planet bike LED front light, and then losing the heavy NiMH front battery hubs!

The current goal, besides having LEVT upgrade two hubs to X, is to attempt to get the other four TF ebikes up and running by purchasing used X hubs from LEVT, have my hubs repaired (unknown costs) by LEVT, or even try a Falco 1500 watt hub setup ($1,200 range?), to compare it to my running S750X, by putting it on a TF M750X frame.

I do desire a level 35-40mph Tidalforce X hub, and it would be nice to find someone with the skills to update the stock internal controller, or remove it and hook up an outside sine wave 72v range unit with a battery to match?!? You know, a Pikes peak performance tidalforce bike to get everyone attention that 'ol school ebike tech is alive and well, besides it being USA manufactured! :)

I also want to setup the original NiMH "B" battery case, with it's topeak locking rack, with Samsung 18650 cells for around a 46v/20ah battery, or even use these cells for a front hub conversion if again I could find someone with the skills to do such a project?!?

Your thoughts, with your email, and I'll forward you some photos?

Kit

kaukit, deerfencer.
I enjoyed reading your posts.
My dear, trusted TF has crossed 25,000km last winter /yes it is my winter commuter/,
kaukit,
sorry for not answering you PM , ES system tells me " member unknown" when I try to send PM , IT is not only you.
Anyway I used 703-589 7182 when contacting Rick and he was providing other services with his company not just EPLUS.
Because you ask - Yes, I happily ride my converted EPLUS all summer /my summer ebike/, just crossed 10,000km on it last week.
At 30mph my EPLUS will never use more than 1250Watts will draw 1300W ABSOLUTE MAX at 32mph. I never saw 1400W displayed on CA or on EPLUS display/controller.

Hey Miro….regarding the E+ system. I purchased a 2008 EMS Tidalforce M-750 E+ from the original owner. It has around 160 original miles on the complete bike. It will power up for about 2 sec then shut offer. I contacted Rick, and we checked the charger and voltage of the front hub. Both are ok with the charger @ 45.2v and the hub @ 41.5v. He thinks it might be the board inside the front battery wheel. The seller was thinking it was the dash/controller, as this is the second one that he's had replaced.

It's been recommended that I disconnect the batteries boards power for about 10 minutes, and then allow it to reboot. I'm going to try that this weekend.

My question is, is it necessary, on the E+, to continue to have a NiMH front hub hooked up to power up the system and then you switch over to a lithium battery source?

I ask, as on the original TF bikes, once the jumper is installed, you can remove the heavy front hub and install a light weight 26" disc wheel and convert to disc brakes (Avid BB7 caliber).

Or, have you figured a way to eliminate the front battery hub on an E+?

Kit

kauaikit,
since this is FALCO thread
since I am not sure if Mark from Team Hybrid who started this thread would agree on discussing Eplus here...
why not to continue on my "Eplus powered on A123 20Ah battery" thread??
Can you find the thread?
I am going to answer your questions there.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40010&p=899259&hilit=Eplus#p899259

Howdy all, I've got a Q I'd like to run by the group here on set up of a new Falco assisted bike.

Or, sort of a bike - I'm building up a Utah Trikes Fat Cat Quad, for use on local trails and at the beach, etc. So maybe a sort of pedal ATV. :) Where I live it's pretty hilly, and I will also be pulling a trailer some of the time, so we're talking about climbing double digit grades with a combined weight of 400 lbs or so rider (215)+ bike (85) + trailer (100), and at other times riding up steep hills off road at low speeds - climbing over rocks and roots, etc.

I'll be using the 750 watt motor in a mid-drive configuration, along with two 48V batteries under the seat (plugged in separately, so I will just swap between them as needed - I don't think they make a system that will allow me to plug in both simultaneously?) and the biggest question is whether and how much I should be gearing it down between the motor and the rear end to facilitate pulling 400 lbs up steep hills without overheating the motor and keeping it running efficiently. We are tentatively planning on gearing it down as far as we can, at 1.5:1 (so speeding the motor up 50% compared to the wheels, which are 750mm outside diameter - using a step down to get the equivalent of running 20" wheels instead of 30"), but I've seen some reference to people using this motor with cargo bikes as it is, so maybe it doesn't need to be geared down so much, or at all - very curious about opinions here. Thoughts anyone?

My friend makes Pedicabs, which you'll find in many cities in Europe, especially London. We made one electric with the 500w Bafang CST motor with a 2:1 ratio. It could climb 10% with the load in the photo. I guess the all-up weight was about 300kg. The derailleur is on the jackshaft with a chain between the motor and rear differential, so the motor's in a fixed 2:1 ratio.

You can change the ratio by changing the sprockets, so it's no big deal if you get it wrong.

If I were building one for 20% hills, I'd use something with proven torque, like a MAC or Bafang BPM. You can go up to 40A on the MAC from Em3ev. I tried a Falco motor on a recumbent trike. It didn't have much torque, but I think you can reprogram them for a bit more. It wouldn't be my choice to winch 500lbs up a hill.

FALCO is USA designed edrive, in versions of up to 1500w ,
Even 750W FALCO edrive I tried had tons of torque , remember that's just on 36V. Cant imagine 1000W FALCO.
Bafang being middrive is very "mechanical" edrive with stress on bicycle chain and components so its torque comes with price - wear and tear

miro13car said:
FALCO is USA designed edrive, in versions of up to 1500w ,
Even 750W FALCO edrive I tried had tons of torque , remember that's just on 36V. Cant imagine 1000W FALCO.
Bafang being middrive is very "mechanical" edrive with stress on bicycle chain and components so its torque comes with price - wear and tear

I think you're misunderstanding. The above trike uses a hub-motor, so there's no stress on the chain and gears. IIUC, OP wants to use one in the same way with a 2:1 reduction to the rear axle.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Mark, please get well soon!

It's only the UK agent giving up on them. I heard that there were too many quality issues and disappointed customers. It seems that they persevered for a bit, hoping that things would get better, but then lost hope. This is only hearsay.

Back