• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Farmer's market

footloose

10 kW
No big deal, but interesting.
Beautiful spring morning here in coastal suburban California.
Decided to ride my bike to Saturday farmer's market at local community college campus couple miles away, check out the peaches / basil / tomatoes / etc (which were GREAT).
This is Prius territory, and folks who go to farmer's markets tend toward the granola profile anyway, so there is beaucoup eco-awareness in this crowd.
Mix of electric bicycles to cars (of all types) appeared to be 1:750. Literally. 1 electric bike. ~750 cars.
Lots of unhappy faces on car drivers as they searched for parking... always looking for 'closest in' to the commerce... while there were acres of open parking within shouting distance.
There is just so much opportunity to get these folks out of cars (any type) and onto bikes (electric, given hills here).

I had a great ride.

Half a dozen peaches, couple nectarines, 3 plums.
A bunch of basil harvested this morning... the nose led me to it. It's sitting in the kitchen now and whole house smells like basil.
Couple of tomatoes to go into a sauce with the basil.
One head of butter lettuce that just absolutely knocked me out. (At a small stand tended by a young woman affiliated with a local Zen garden. I walked by, saw it, stopped dead in my tracks. Had to ask her whether it was really for sale, it looked so perfect. We just admired it for a minute before it traded hands for 2 bucks. Our personal profiles were sufficiently different... that it was almost like two separate species communicating with only this head of lettuce in common!)

Should be 750:1 bike to car ratio with the close-to-perfect weather like what you have out there.

Yuppies might pretend to be environmentally conscious, but they really aren't.

Went back to the parking lot after marke closed.
Counted spaces (sorry to be so compulsive!).
Wasn't 750:1 -- was actually ~250:1.
Still... Amazing. My hope is we are cutting edge,
and next year there are 100 bikes. (I know, dream on.)

I think the tipping point will be x number of
passenger seat occupants saying "Who
wad that guy gliding effortlessly through gridlock
and parking 20 feet from shopping?"

Back