First choice of POBs and thieves

Chalo

100 TW

The problem is that fat tire e-bikes have also turned into prime targets for bike theft. According to the ANWB, “In Amsterdam, the chance of your fat bike being stolen is 90 percent.”

ANWB currently insures around 10,000 fat tire bikes and claims that the damages for fat tire bikes have risen to 800% of the premiums. In order to prevent bike insurance from also soaring, the decision has been made to no longer insure fat tire bikes.

So if it is a skinny tired ebike, thieves won't take it and you can still insure it?
Seems like the unintended consequences of legislation at play. Acccording to the article moped riders have to wear helmets now, so they are switching to ebikes and using the throttle -which is illegal- to ride them as a moped.
Why are so many of the ebikes fat tire bikes? Doesn't seem like a big advantage.

Somehow a market was created for fat tire e-bikes (many 70 pound folding behemoths). Their only advantage is they may ride a little smoother (very few individuals ride them on sand or other soft surface AFAICT), at the expense of extra rolling resistance, "self-steering" and being very difficult to repair away from home if you get a puncture.

Utility is what bicycles are meant for.
Similar to why SUVs are so popular, fat tire ebikes can carry more weight, less puncture or wheel/rim damage if you ride over potholes.

Regardless of legality, people are going to modify their bikes to go faster or easier to operate according to their needs.

The fact that these fat tire ebikes (or e-mopeds) are so popular (even among thieves); that indicate something that legislators should be paying attention to.

Pretty clear manufacturers are not going to stop making them if they are popular and turn profits, even TREK is going into the market.

What I have told many people before, and will continue to tell them, is that a bike you wouldn't want to ride without motor power, is a lousy bike even if you add motor power. So all of these obese dwarf bikes are a bummer.

Frankly, I suggest that small wheel, fat tire folders are not even POB (pedestrian on a bicycle) bikes. They are, for lack of a better term, MOB (motorist on a bicycle) bikes. Like cars, they've abandoned efficiency and fitness for purpose in favor of conspicuous wankery.

You'd certainly prefer one if you needed/wanted to ride on soft sand or snow.
Not my choice for on-road riding, but i can see the applications.

:)

You'd certainly prefer one if you needed/wanted to ride on soft sand or snow.
Not my choice for on-road riding, but i can see the applications.

:)
Fat tire with full diameter wheels, sure. But with the usual fatty e-bikes, the wheel diameter takes away what the tire width gave.

But it does theoretically increase motor power density ( higher RPM = good ) and limits the height of the bike.

I would prefer actual motorcycle tires in that situation but yeah.

I think the big 26" fatbikes don't interest most US buyers, unless they want to evoke their motorcycling days. A lot of older people have convinced themselves that the 20" are easy to pack in a car, and are more stable. Moreover at $999 for an Lectric, they are an easy sell.

I still have a 26" fat tire conversion I made. Bought a 20" fat tire commercial ebike too for $769. It was an OK bike, but I had to replace the 3 speed PAS controller with a better KT unit. Gave it to my son who appreciates it more than me. Haven't ridden the bigger one all year.

Marketing to uninformed star struck is pretty toxic.
Elderly and young are a big target
Fatties have a narrow range where they are a good idea,
otherwise only say you got hold of momma's credit card.

Real toxic on the MUP's
Given the tire and battery cost, expect to see a lot of them in garage sales.

Back