first go and it tried to kill me - NIECE UPDATE !!!

Arlo1 said:
You should look for seals with a 2rs at the end of the number they will be preoiled and have 2 rubber seals so they last a lot longer.

that's what I've ordered, stainless steel high spec bearing, dual seals, pre lubed,

the ones on the bike had seals in them... but they were crap :-(

any idea on drilling the axle?

knighty said:
any idea on drilling the axle?
I have an axle here I planned to crossdrill for 2 years I was planing a water injection system but got buisy with other things. I have not played with it much. Why do you want to drill it?

knighty said:
really need a rear break and a helmet tho!!!

Did yo actually hit your head? sounds like body armour is far better idea than a helmet. As you have just proved..most injuries are the hands and limbs..yet every one insists on helmets and ignores where you are most likely to get hurt

NeilP said:
knighty said:
really need a rear break and a helmet tho!!!

Did yo actually hit your head? sounds like body armour is far better idea than a helmet. As you have just proved..most injuries are the hands and limbs..yet every one insists on helmets and ignores where you are most likely to get hurt
One good smack on the head and you are dead or brain dead. Ive broke all kinds of bones with and without gear. I smacked my head with a without a helmet. Ive gotten a few conclusions on without a helmet that made me forget the whole day where i lived and everything. Scary shit dude!
I got one concussion with a helmet on and ended up cross eyed for 6 weeks. When I crashed I was full throttle hit a triple went over the bars landed on my head and the bike came down on top of me sub frame stabbed me in the ass and I ended up with a crushed T4 vertebrae and 6 stitches in my ass and two days later I was starting to see blurry because my right eye started seizing up.
I remember laying there DEAD everything black and silent. thinking I finally did what my mother said I would I killed my self doing what I love.... then I thought about my two youngest brothers and thought how I let them down. Then I felt my heart start beating again and my chest hurt I woke up and coughed up a mouth full of blood and everything hurt there was blood everywhere. If I did not have a helmet on I would not be here!
That is one of many times a helmet saved me!

IF You like having the computer up stairs wear a helmet they have saved my life MANY times!!!

depends on how you ride as well..OK there is always the chance of getting knocked off when you are being very careful yourself..but ..hey my mate got killed lasst year on his Harley..full on safety kit and it still did not save him.

It is all a matter of amount of risk and how much removing the risk interferes with your enjoyment. For me it is a personal thing a percentage risk issue. For the number of hours I have ridden, and the amount of 'man hours' of cyclists on the road per/day/week etc, the chances of actually having and accident per hour ridden, and then the chance of that accident actually causing you to hit your head and cause damage are very small, where as the 'impact' and hassle of carrying a helmet with you everywhere just out weighs the risk

Funny you mention having a computer upstairs..that is dangerous..do you wear a neck brace and body armour when climbing these stairs? Would have saved the life of my Aunt..she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
The whole of society is just becoming too risk adverse, to the detriment of enjoying ones self. I see this so often in the younger people around our local area..climbing trees..oh no don't dare do that. Building a little canoe out of whatever and taking off on the sea for a paddle..what you cant't do that must be crazy..the whole world is turning into a bunch of wussies. As soon as one level of protection becomes the norm, then the do -gooders move on and start on the next level.

Don't get me wrong, if I was racing or going flat out on a downhill race, taking risks I too would wear a helmet/body armour etc, but not for every day riding

Arlo1 said:
I got one concussion with a helmet on and ended up cross eyed for 6 weeks. When I crashed I was full throttle hit a triple went over the bars landed on my head and the bike came down on top of me sub frame stabbed me in the ass and I ended up with a crushed T4 vertebrae and 6 stitches in my ass and two days later I was starting to see blurry because my right eye started seizing up.

Aye; it explains a thing or two.

The fun you can have at bicycle speeds (and not getting air under the tires) is much less likely to leave you in such a state. Just sayin'. My brother got folded in half and hammered into the ground by his 650cc dirt bike once, while attempting to jump it over a dirt pile. No head injury and no broken bones, but he couldn't even get out of bed without help for more than a week. I don't know if he ever rode the thing after that.

Fortunately, I've never needed my helmet, even in a couple of falls from my motorcycles at highway speed. I've had more concussions from very occasional skating on flat surfaces than from my extensive life with two-wheelers. Yet you never see people standing around the ice rink yelling "where's your helmet?" like they sometimes do to bicyclists.

Have a look. This (large) picture was taken in NYC's Central Park in 2008, many years after the "where's your helmet" crew first showed up to hassle cyclists:
http://www.centralpark.com/usr/photos/large/8f/ice-skating-rink.jpg

Extrapolate as you like to other major causes of closed head injury-- like showering, climbing stairs, ascending ladders, crashing cars, etc. Clearly, your best protection against brain injury is using what's inside your head, not what's stuck on the outside of it.

hehe.... first ebike is 72v, first test ride in the dark in a GARDEN!!! :lol:

We all remember our maiden voyages.

NeilP said:
but not for every day riding
My every day riding involves 50-80kmh wheelies and jumps and drag racing cars (this is just ebike riding)

Well if I was doing that sort of stuff..deliberate risk taking then yes, helmet makes sense, can't argue with that

had a few problems, the wiring inside the motor melted after I modded the hell out of the shut in the 1500watt hua tong

re-wired it now, and pored shed loads of oil into the motor to help with cooling - ran out of ATF so I used some power steering fluid

second problem, I've lost the original break disk for my Chinese motor, so I had to mod an old brake disk I had lying around

bolt holes were too close to the centre, filing them would be a pain in the arse so I drilled them out bigger instead

wow those disks are hard, killed 4 drill bits doing it and lost a chunk of finger when the drill grabbed the disk and spun it around in my hand!

lost a few screws too, but found some that fit just nice

when I was done the disk didn't line up with the calliper, so I bent the disk out a bit
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/441/6kscpqdamkhazwxfawxsux.mp4/

but now the screws don't hold tight, so I stripped the wheel off and added some gaffa tape

think I bent a couple of spokes too, so they're lose now, but I've stuck a cable tie on to pull them tight

all done, and it's awesome again, did 40mph easy again, I was worried the magnets in the motor would be damaged from all the heat and me dropping the stator on the floor and damaging it, but I guess not!

I'll get a video as soon as my phone battery charges up !

can't wait for my new 7kw cro motor to turn up for the real fun to start !!!

hillzofvalp said:
Chalo said:
Arlo1 said:
Have a look. This (large) picture was taken in NYC's Central Park in 2008, many years after the "where's your helmet" crew first showed up to hassle cyclists:
http://www.centralpark.com/usr/photos/large/8f/ice-skating-rink.jpg

Gotta love the random cover on the pickup truck. Must be be PTSD (ashes).
You got your quote mixed up ;) Had me thinking I was typing posts in my sleep because I sure didn't remember saying that!

I wouldn't trust that rear disk installation for a second. Terrible idea and worksmanship there. For starters, even if I were to endorse this sort of brake installation, it needs washers to spread the load of the bolt heads in those oversize holes, and Loctite on the bolts in ALL installations. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you on parts and skin.

I would go with rim brakes over that disk setup if you want something still in the realm of safe.

my 2 cents

It gets even worse, front disk. Unless that was the jig you used to bend the disk. You better be wearing a DOT helmet and leathers :shock:

deffx said:
but now the screws don't hold tight, so I stripped the wheel off and added some gaffa tape

LOL, classic, are you for real? gaffa tape holding the brake screws on, then 40 mph test ride
Watch out for them wheel barrows bro:)

While I've been known to take shortcuts and can find a multitude of uses for duct tape, the frightening thing is that it's not a joke. I'm torn between wanting video and not.

if its actually holding the disk on, good luck. but if its only there to keep them from unscrewing then it might work. The question is, how much do you trust your front brake

knighty said:
now the screws don't hold tight, so I stripped the wheel off and added some gaffa tape

think I bent a couple of spokes too, so they're lose now, but I've stuck a cable tie on to pull them tight
you're joking right? if this is real i'd really recommend wearing full boddy armor and not to ride in the public!
i'm no chicken but this is just not good!

Some times life is about survival of the fittest ;)

No brain, No pain.

CroMotor finally ready !!!!!!

41.4lb = 18.5kg
27inches tall (from floor to top of tyre)
3.5inches wide at the tyre

big heavy motorbike spokes, can't remember what size, but they're a tight fit in the motor casing... they were the 3rd size the tyre guy tried after he tried his smallest motorbike ones first

now just need to fix (bodge) it onto the bike :)

that'll fix it....

few more photos :)

took it around the block a few times (too cold for a proper ride)

so far feels great, and it's still on a 2.5kw greentime controller with a very slow throttle response :-o

Back