ford lightening "intellligent?!" home backup system. charger, inverter and battery questions

MitchJi

10 MW
i"m trying. to figure out how cost effective this system is:?

Watch how Ford's Intelligent Backup Power system Works in my home. This system allows Lightning owners to use their truck to power their home during a power outage. Queued to the screen shot.

Their system consists of four pieces of HW, an 80 amp BD-DÇ Charger ($1,380- included w/their largest pack), a 4kW Inverter, am automatic Transfer Switch and a small '' Dark Start” battery "needed" to provide power to signal the Ford to start providing power during an outage. The last three pieces are $3,890, plus an estimated minimum of $3.5-$4k for installation.

it is a DÇ Charger which requires the use of the 4kW inverter? but then how can his system supply 9 kW/? Sounds like a proprietary inverter is required?and is a battery really needed or is that a quick and dirty solution?

and is the high installation cost a result of a lame design?
Ford-Components.png

Last edited:
s that actually a charger or a DC/DC voltage converter ?\
cherger
what is its purpose in transferring power from the Ford pack to the domestic inverter ?
idk. how i think it works

their system (as pictured) consists of four pieces of HW, an 80 amp BD-V2H Charger ($1,380- included w/their largest pack),

a 4kW Inverter, a Transfer Switch and a small '' Dark Start” battery needed to provide power to signal the Ford to start providing power during an outage. The last three pieces are $3,890, plus an estimated minimum of $3.5-$4k for installation! I believe that a well engineered system using an AC-V2G Charger would eliminate the 4kW inverter and the “dark start” battery, and drastically reduce the installation costs.

Back