Fried battery charger?

OK, now I am doing a happy dance.... As my battery didn't look like it was overcharging, I decided to plug it back into the charger and see if it would complete it's charge cycle in the amount of time I know it normally takes.

All the BMS lights came on within the first minute, which seems strange if the 36 volt pack only has a 41.2 volt charge, but after 10 minutes the charger has gone into it's normal green light back to red light cycle it normally does when it is balancing and finishing the charge cycle. So probably all the red lights being on is not a sign the battery BMS was malfunctioning! :D

Though maybe my use of the mutimeter is.... If the pack was close to fully charged shouldn't it have close to 44 volts?

Learning Curve said:
........If the pack was close to fully charged shouldn't it have close to 44 volts?

3.65v * 12 = 43.8v if you battery is in great condition. A little less as it ages.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge e-beach. It's appreciated!

When the battery was finished charging today the multimeter said it was at 42.4 volts. Hopefully that is within the normal range for a year old battery.

I am starting to like the multimeter. As I use it and have not electrocuted myself or even see any sparks, it's handy being able to get more information about what is going on inside the battery...

Learning Curve said:
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge e-beach. It's appreciated!
:oops: :lol:

When the battery was finished charging today the multimeter said it was at 42.4 volts. Hopefully that is within the normal range for a year old battery.

That sounds low to me. Let it keep charging overnight.

:D

Back