Frockfest

Nice work on the cleanup guys . Looks like a few are getting serious for the race .
Probably have a few turn up with slicks on & tyre warmers while their bikes are in the pits :lol:

full-throttle said:
haha I was thinking Duke Nukem
"Come get some!"
That too!

One guy snapped his bars and another broke a $170 pedal :shock:
Dayum :shock:
$170 pedals, my whole drive train doesn't cost that! :lol:

Anyone need a 200w sticker for the race ? I have a fresh batch and we need to make sure things are kept legit. Anyone who has a motor emitting magic smoke after the race may need a second 200w sticker for their controller :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Anyone need a 200w sticker for the race ? I have a fresh batch and we need to make sure things are kept legit. Anyone who has a motor emitting magic smoke after the race may need a second 200w sticker for their controller :mrgreen:
You should say it with indian accent "Sir, can I see your motor? Uh, you need a 200W sticker for that sir. Would you like to purchase a 200W sticker?" :mrgreen: :lol:

The weather for Sunday looks nice.
How about practice in the morning and race around midday?

Depending on the numbers we can have two (or more) categories.
As per the race itself: 10 laps + pedal only lap. For the transition 10 seconds will be mandatory to disconnect the power to keep everyone happy.

Spectators are welcome. Food/drinks after the event and perhaps some random prizes - best stack, best effort, best frock :mrgreen: So be creative people!

Cool! Sunday... glad you mentioned that as I was gonna be out there Saturday!!!

Being Sunday too is ace, I have hired a van for the weekend, So that means I can get out to the track at anytime Sunday...
I'm planning on taking as much stuff as I can, with plans to ferry it from van to track via -e-bike plus trailer...

I plan to Bring:
Charging Stuff
3*12v20Ah thenderskies, charged, to act as a 12v battery bank.
A variety of mid-level, Hobbyking sourced chargers, that run from 12 v power and charge up to 7Amps 6s
DC to 240v Invertors *2:
one 300w, one 800w
240V rated chargers
A couple of rated lipo chargers including one 6s (24.1v) fast charger

I am planning on bringing a bunch of Lipo, Still not sure what configuration bike I want to run, but will have 12 packs of 6s 5ah Lipo, 6 with less than 100 cycles, 6 with more than 1000 cycles.
I am expecting to use at most 6, so there are some spares.
I'll also have 4* 5ah 5s, and 2* 8 ah hs, I want to try running some components at 13S (Lipo), 15ah I've run my bog standard controllers for endless hours at this wattage, but yet to test against a kit wheel (blah blah blah)

Long story short There should be some lipo available for a worthy cause.

I will also be bringing a fire extinguisher, and hopefully some sand :D

'Kay... Pit stuff...
I'll bring a few spare tyres, I've recovered a few over the last wee while, not name brand but they'll do for some fun, and have plenty of tubes (normal ones, ya want Desert Protection tubes (winkinatcha makes universal hand motion for money)...) Plus my faithful bucket and tyre levers... Not some Tour de France Pro Mechanic but, meh, I can change a tyre n fix a flat :D

'Nough bike tools to be able to replace front or rear wheels, pedals, maybe one bikes worth of parts. blah blah blah.

Spare harnesses, connectors, wires..Soldering Iron n solder n shrink wrap for rough n ready repairs... (Someone else please bring gaffa and duct tape :D )

Temperature gun so you can marvel at how hot your motor was when it fried :D

And some odds n bobs

Food n Water...

NFI.. I should be able to bring at least 25 litres of water, hopefully 50...

Not sure what to do about food, the fish n chip shop was good , n a hamburger, manly man racer food :D

Safety stuff
Two sets of large arm n Torso n Back D/H armour, One I just managed to score last week second hand off ebay... The other set is mine so will at least require some begging to borrow :twisted: :D

Some knee and elbow pads (not to sure how many... at least 1 :D)

Couple of open face Motorbike helmets (you'll look like a bobble head, they are not flattering ...)

Some pairs of Xlarge leather gardening gloves and a couple of sets of cotton crap gloves.

Some kinda low level medic kit, with bandages and antiseptic n stuff.

Various other stuffs, 1 to three ebikes a bike trailer....

Prolly try to fit my whole goddamn workshop in there

If someone needs a lift from the south eastern suburbs, Caulfield station area, lemme know, spare seat n room for a bike available in van....

HEY

Had a "Prize Idea". I've got a couple of brand new large High Vis Flourescent green vests... Howzabout we get everyone who turns up to sign it, and it goes to the Ultimate race winner.

Also...

I would STILL Like us to limit starters n number of bikes on track... Personally I am comfortable with three, but maybe could be talked into 5... Accident avoidance on the less than forgiving corners ...please....Pretty please?

Peddle only lap first lap? Actually that could make for one hell of a big field levelling...Migh enable more people on the track.... I likes it... How about firrst lap pedal only.... power to go on after first lap/startline crossover... (which would also enable peeps to take their batteries out for lightness, pedal like bastards, over the start line put in battery ... fly like the wind ... (Mwahaha!) Ha!)

Joe

winkinatcha said:
I'll fix it on site dude, Not a Problem if you can't get it done before...

Joe
Ok cool, I think I will take you up on that man, cheers.
Merlins gonna call you about his bike tomorrow I think.

Cheers.

Hey guys - distance from parking to the track?
I'm bring a case of beer and a bike. Call me a minimalist Bear Grylls, but I drink different p|ss.

Joe I have an old swx rear that has a short internal - if i flip you a few bucks would you take a diagnostic look inside if I bring it along? Don't need it done on the day...

What time are people planning to roll up? Think I stripped the Aprilia's gearbox again, so the Aldi bike might make an appearance if Bunnings have enough duct tape in stock...

SD.

The walk is 300~400m
Park at the gravel carpark near the bridge where Altona Rd becomes Racecource Rd and aim for the palm tree
Thinking of getting there 9:30~10am

Thanks Joe for offering tech support

full-throttle said:
Thanks Joe for offering tech support
Haha no worries, prolly more of a sign of someone looking for an excuse to chicken out of racing :roll:

Samd said:
Joe I have an old swx rear that has a short internal - if i flip you a few bucks would you take a diagnostic look inside if I bring it along? Don't need it done on the day...

SD.
Absolutely dude, can pretty much suggest it wont be done on the day but any opp to pop open a motor is a good thing :D

Turn Up Time...
M'kay, I am planning to get there as early as I can.. Hope to be there around 7:00 am, Possibly Vain Hope :D but deffo before 10:am

Joe

Ok so Sunday is the day most people are going? Cool that works best for me, Saturday there is a free entry poker tournament at the Crown that I don't want to miss. Also Merlin suggested Sunday for him as well.
So we will both be there this Sunday.

Hurrah! go go gadget community :mrgreen:

Great to see everyone still eager and so willing to be involved!

I've been snowed under in a bunker of treachery slowly clawing my way out, aaaarrrhhhhhhhg

That might mean no bike for the event, but I'm not phased and happy to help with an eski and multi-tool and a god dam milk create or two 8)

Sundays event will be a great starting point in helping us understand what's required to make everything work.

Just remember we are self moderating, so at this stage you are solely responsible for your actions and have to understand the consequences they have for people around you.

So please to take care when lobbing your rc lipo into a bush :lol:

+1 Self moderating and operating under own volition, rather than collective. No liability transferred, but no silly risks to be taken either.

Anticipating a few good laughs and ideas shared however! See you then...

Good luck tomorrow fellas and + 1 on keeping safe. Some of my worst breaks have been from slow speed stacks. Wish I was there, im stuck in the arm pit of the country. Bloody Darwin, its mid 30s and 99% humidity. Id much rather be ebike racing !

TheBeastie said:
Frockfest fish n chips after.

If I had know Billy Connolly was going to be there, I might have asked my sister-in-law to re-arrange her wedding.

Kabbage said:
TheBeastie said:
Frockfest fish n chips after.

If I had know Billy Connolly was going to be there, I might have asked my sister-in-law to re-arrange her wedding.
Yeah "Connolly" (winkinatcha) fixed my chain up, which I needed in the end to get home that last km. Best ebike mechanic in Melbourne.

Fish and chips ? Never mind that, what happened with the race !?
What was the lineup like, race bike specs and thoughts going forward , both the event and the track?

Im going to need more than a photo of a bunch of seedy looking blokes eating take away if im going to drag myself down there :p

The race was awesome. The turn up was pour. We only had 5 for the race and 2 more an hour late.

The race marshalling was.. umm.. terrible :roll:

t3sla was sitting at start/finish mark, ticking off each rider and was meant to signal the final powered lap. Apparently the air horn run out of air so no one knew when to stop except for Alan's kid :? So technically he won. I have some footage to go through to see what actually happened.

Alan had the fastest lap times 0:44.

As far as the event itself its definitely got a lot of potential. I think we did really well and what matters the most - everyone had a great day. Same place next month?

It was good fun - track much smaller than I thought but still a ripper. Headwind on the main straight and Alan's trike running a x5404 (I think) meant that upright bikes were technically in a whole other class.

Loose breakup of twenty year old (Maybe?) bitumen meant some patches were like a pocket of ball bearings on corners and Alan was only too happy to shower you with these as he went past. I did get a nice run in on my new bafang powered Aldibike due to the technical wizardry that is Duct tape. :twisted:
15s1P on 5Ahr was a nice combo in the end with the LVC kicking in on the last lap. Hilarity as my plug in cell monitor fell off on lap 6 or 7 and made for some dodging at the end of the straight.

The bumpiness of the track made it hard for the few laps on my Aprilia hardtail taken prior, and in the end it cost me the last of the gear tooth material inside the box. Ah well, it was fun.

I really enjoyed this track for it's technical challenge, and as much as it would have been a perfect day for rolling along the Yarra oggling, this day did do something to advance our lot when it came to engineering. It is a good proof test track for rattles bumps and bike geometry.

I did learn from full-throttle about the effect of front wheel and headset geometry - the Aldi bike was markedly better in the ball bearing corners with its 29inch front wheel and slack angle compared to the relatively upright Aprilia with 26" wheel.

This is a good size track to prune back the amount of LiPo onboard and focus on agility and riding. 15s1P was about right for the 10 lap race. I think I did either 9 or 11. :p

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ2T3Z3SZI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
[youtube]cZ2T3Z3SZI0[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmgbPwY5h9s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
[youtube]tmgbPwY5h9s[/youtube]

Some unedited handheld phone footage of the area. Hope the links work, can't tell from my desk, George Orwell would have much to say about our firewall :roll: ...

Back