Frockfest

full-throttle said:
No idea on speed. Forgot to bring the GPS
Guess you weren't hitting your bikes top speed then....?

adrian_sm said:
full-throttle said:

Only one ~50 meter stretch for that to happen on.

The race is how quickly can you regain from braking.

Full throttles pedal lap is on par with a slow low powered lap time, so your friction drive could do well.... very well.

adrian_sm said:
full-throttle said:
It's all blurred. Don't recall if I was getting to top speed or not. The headwind was strong in the longest straight. Got no instruments on my bike, but others might.

full-throttle said:
I had trouble with traction Knobbies next time
t3sla said:
Full throttles pedal lap is on par with a slow low powered lap time, so your friction drive could do well.... very well.

Sounds like it is traction and low power you need. I can get the power but traction on the loose stuff might be challenging. Time to try some new tires me thinks.
I have been wanting to try some DMR Moto RT's or something with close chunky blocks and this might be just the excuse.

Other options from a quick search are:
Schwalbe Land Cruiser
Schwalbe Table Top Sport
Maxxis Holy Roller
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Reflective Tour

FD can work on Schwalbe Table Top Sport, woah :eek:
I guess I forget that he unit pushes into the tire and isn't just surface contact, so PSI changes can improve performance?

Not sure on what will work, as haven't trialled a lot. FD are obviously more suited to on-road dry conditions, so this will be interesting.

I like the look of the DMR Moto, for their tightly spaced short chunky knobs. I really don't want the knobs too sparse, or tall. I need fairly continuous tread in the centre at least.

When first going over the track with Full-Throttle, on a 70 km/h capable 3kw bike, I got 50 km/h on the straight... and there really wasn't much more scope for greater speed, due to the need to brake :D, so I reckon a 50km/h capable bike should be able to hold it's own and be down to rider skills for the placings...

Joe

t3sla said:
FD can work on Schwalbe Table Top Sport
FD ?
I've been using moto RTs for a few years now and quite like them as an all round "dual sport" type tyre. The only downside is the sidewall is quite soft and are more prone to puncturing from sideways ninja star attacks. If the surface is really loose they'll still break out, I had a puckering experience a few months back when cornering a bit fast on a hardpack trail that suddenly had a sprinkling of loose gravel on it. Drifting can be fun but not so much when you're not expecting it :lol:
Likewise the holy rollers are good. Can't comment on the others but with FT and I both happy with them they sound like a good bet :)

Sounds like my fighter would excel on this track - 3" halo knobbies, plenty of suspension to soak up the bumps and take the most direct line and 10-50 acceleration in about 3 seconds. Fortunately for you guys I'll never be able to transport it down there :p

FD==Friction Drive

Here is some barely edited video from the initial scoping Run F-T and I did... this stuff shows the sand flats beside the go kart track...

Most of the vid footage was shot using Hyena Patented Cam-In-Mouth technique, hence the Darth Vader like breathing throughout the video... Commentary on the technical aspects of this camera mounting technique is made in the last two seconds of the video.

http://youtu.be/KO1OyCKygKw

Joe

TheBeastie said:
In my opinion the track has devious charm but all up is ultra chunky and quite unforgiving if you fall off your bike.
After coming home I noticed I have a second broken spoke, also if any one goes back to the track and finds a greyish bike lock chain it's mine, I think it fell off my bike on the quick run I had at the end.

I think google mapping/ apple mapping a simple grass field that wouldn't get many spectators and simply dropping a bunch of cones down would still make a nicer track.
When I was slipping and wobbling all over the place to get a head of Merlin it was fun but I still see that happening on grass as well.

Yeah that's true man, you were going hell for leather to pass me on the inside on the very last 1/4 lap, I thought I had it in the bag after passing you on the first lap at the end of the main straight (cutting in sharp into the corner) then a lap and half later you come skidding and sliding around the corner in front of me and take the lead to win it, our post-inaugural-Frockfest latecomers deathmatch ;)

Overall the day was great, even though Me 'n Mike got there late, the journey was part of the fun. We got there post-race as people were packing up but still got in several practice laps and a 2 lap race with just the both of us.

And yes, while the track is slippery (the ball bearing analogy is kinda true for some parts - the front wheel does get a bit slidey when you push it around the corners) it is still hella fun and adrenalizing.

Fish n Chips after was great to catch up and chat with our fellow enthusiasts about topics close to our heart.

And ultra-mega-super-thanks to Joe Winkinatcha not only for being the Frockfest inspirator, but especially for being the best electric bike mechanic in Melbourne

He totally fixed up my broken e-bike the week before, it just feels waaaay better now, lots of bits fixed and improved, things like rigging up a proper solid rack while re-working my integrated battery and controller housing from the previous rack to fit (I'd already broken two of the previous seat post mounts and was only a matter of time until the 3rd broke) plus the overall attention and care that went into the details like un-dodgifying and improving the cabling, adjusting the controls to be in better position, adding the fuse, remounting and securing the controller and battery, etc, etc, plus the coolest ever voltmeter mount (much better than the falling off electrical tape that was holding it on beforehand).

I even beat my previous top speed ever by 2km/h on the way back from the track, 54km/h is now my new best.

Joe the care and passion you have for ebikes is a joy to be around, so the Frockfests will grow in size I reckon, given time.

Mike and I will make sure we get there on time next time to join in the main competition.

Cheers beers!

And here's a pic from ourferry journey there, plus some GPS logs of the track and the trip to the fish n chips after.

0.jpg
1.png
2.png
3.png

haha! thanks for the Praise guys, careful or I will get too big a head.

yah I kinda suspect that you two (TheBeastie and Merlin) would bring some higher speed hi-jinx to the race :D And great descriptions of the day from the pair of ya...

Love that GPS based App... that's the bomb... Am slowly figuring out my camera (contour) which has built in GPS as well, and should be good enough for some speed readings.

TheBeastie: If you want me to replace the spokes on your wheel I'm getting pretty good at that now, and prolly should have a few of the right size... could you tell me how long they are from motor rim to wheel rim?

Joe

winkinatcha said:
Most of the vid footage was shot using Hyena Patented Cam-In-Mouth technique, hence the Darth Vader like breathing throughout the video... Commentary on the technical aspects of this camera mounting technique is made in the last two seconds of the video.
hardy ha :p
It's natures finest shock absorbing, gyroscopically stabilized steadi-cam :mrgreen:

Your camera picks up alot more breathing noise than mine though, sounds more like snorkelling on yours.

full-throttle said:
You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk? :mrgreen:
haha, you mean can I make the pedal lap ? :p
I reckon I've got just enough cardiovascular fitness left to do that. Can I rock up with a disability permit and get a time concession on my pedal lap ? :lol:

You know I wouldn't normally use 20" rims but I've just purchased a motor specifically with ebike racing use in mind. Well, when I say 20" it's actually a 16" moto rim, so should allow me to run tough tyres.

Hyena said:
Can I rock up with a disability permit and get a time concession on my pedal lap ? :lol:
Gee.. all that begging :lol:

Rock up if you're keen, but don't expect you average commuter type softies that you're so used to :p
[youtube]hVfjXcIyc5k[/youtube]
Unless you want to race in the kiddies class. They might let you get away with no pedal lap :mrgreen:

Hah, keep up the training to work on that pedal lap time. If you guys can build up the scene and I come down I'll be supplementing my lack of fitness with bulk wattage and track focused build. :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
Hah, keep up the training to work on that pedal lap time. If you guys can build up the scene and I come down I'll be supplementing my lack of fitness with bulk wattage and track focused build. :mrgreen:

But...who will you get to ride the bike Jay? seeing your specialty is flying over the bars, not keep a bike upright at speed :p :mrgreen:

KiM

Go hard or go home ?
Nah, go hard THEN go home, limping :lol:

And what choo talking bout Willis, I haven't been over the bars in a good 6 months :p
(and last time I was hit by a car door so hardly my fault)

Go easy. The bloke is the only inter-stater seriously considering coming along to this thrown together "race" in a patch of dirt in the arse end of an industrial area, and you guys are giving him grief.

Throw some of that abuse my way, I couldn't even make it the 20km from my place.

Speaking of which, I was thinking of dropping by the track sometime in the next couple of weekends, for a look see, and a shake down run of my monster friction drive bike. Let me know if anyone feels like a quick catch up, and I'll lock in a date/time. Would be good to see a fighter or bomber rip this place up. I think they would be hard to beat, especially if it is one of keplers EPO specials.

bah!

It's just Full throttles and I typical alpha male way of being unable to openly give praise .
We just mask it with abusive demands due to not spawning seeds and gaining sensitiveness to others feelings.
Because at the end of the day we really do want to kick it with Hyena, so we can whoop his ass.....
Oh wait there it goes again :twisted:

adrian_sm said:
Go easy. The bloke is the only inter-stater seriously considering coming along to this thrown together "race" in a patch of dirt in the arse end of an industrial area, and you guys are giving him grief.
You didn't put a :lol: at the end of that paragraph

It's hyena, you know - gay jokes, cross dressing photoshops, funny videos..

So far this entire thread incl the race itself been nothing but a joke. We are just having fun. On my first lap following Alan I was laughing so hard I nearly stacked.

Back