Full suspension mid-drive folding ebike, oh yEs!

madpcsupreme

1 µW
I've completed the full suspension mid-drive folding bike w/ dahon jetstream + 8fun bbs02.

I'm surprised not many people here is using that bike...

I have to mod the battery base to get the folding mechanism to work. But overall, the installation isn't that bad(as compare to my first GNG mid drive build)

I am using the High Power Samsung 30E battery. Let's see what kinda speed it's going to give me.

As of now, my folding can't stand on it own when folded/unfolded. I've ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gearoop-Bike-Bicycle-CoolStand-Adjustable-Side-Stick-33-39mm-Aluminum-Black-MIT-/221925046904?hash=item33abc37a78:g:B98AAOSwgQ9V1W7F to make it stand.

I also have plan to get the cane creek LT suspension seat-post, but my budget is kinda tide now. Also I will add headlight/taillight ahead w/ mud guaud later

Attachments

• IMG_0135_2.jpg
    IMG_0135_2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 5,427
Sturdy litttle bike. I am very happy with mine.

2JoMXRf.jpg

@andrebandre, also, what kinda brake upgrade is that? I also think the brake disc need to be upgraded

Chainring/spider (female half) bolts and a Presta valve stem collar to raise the aft a little . As far as i can remember.

Brakes are Formula R1. Great modulation.

Attachments

• DSC00220.JPG
    DSC00220.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 5,260
  • DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 5,260
@andrebandre: Wow I must say I am officially impressed by your setup!!!
Everything is so nice, clean and functional!

Question: does your battery wobble around cuz you raised it up for that much height(around 10mm maybe?) with only 2 main supports.

No wobble, i suppose the spacers have a large enough diameter to give surface support. And the suspension absorbs pavement imprefections so the mount doesn't see harsh impacts.
So far so good.

Hello folding bike enthusiasts! I'm new to e-bikes in general, but not new to folding bikes.. I've had one or more folders since 2004 .. the bike I chose for my first motor assist installation was a Pacific Reach Road which I've had in my garage for a few years not being ridden.. a degree of full suspension, stiff frame, good high speed handling , and 135mm spacing seemed like a good candidate.. Luna BBS02 kit with 52v 11.6amp battery and 52t 11/28 gearing on 451 wheels.. just over a hundred miles on it last week .. color me ecstatic !!

IMG_3826_zps9h4kcu1t.jpg

tipsy13 said:
Nice build! What's the top speed?

I've hit 40mph on the flat, but wasn't trying for a top speed run yet ... mostly I enjoy pedaling in the mid 20's .. I'm putting together another system for an Airnimal Chameleon that will probably be faster top end as it runs on 520mm wheels with the same gearing as the Pacific Reach .. preaching to the choir here, but I'm totally stoked with my first electric assist install ..

Wish I still had my Dahon Cadenza with alfine hub... it would have made a fantastic ebike. Folding full size frame with 26" wheels... thing was absolutely rock solid. sold it when I left Vancouver and immediately regretted it!

Deafcat said:
Wish I still had my Dahon Cadenza with alfine hub... it would have made a fantastic ebike. Folding full size frame with 26" wheels... thing was absolutely rock solid. sold it when I left Vancouver and immediately regretted it!

The Cadenza 8 would have been a great platform .. and with disc brakes too .. that was a good bike!

Cool.... starting on a Montague conversion today, I too find the folding/E-bike combo perversely entertaining, not to mention practical and effective.

craneplaneguy said:
Cool.... starting on a Montague conversion today, I too find the folding/E-bike combo perversely entertaining, not to mention practical and effective.

Another good choice .. which model? Paratrooper?

Finishing up on my last folding bike project for awhile ... an Airnimal Chameleon with new Luna Shark 52v 13.5amp Panasonic battery and BBS02 motor.. 52t 11/32 running on 24" 520mm wheels .. only have around 100 miles on it, but I love it .. cruises along at 30mph pedaling at level 5 or 6 .. one of those frames that have been hanging from the ceiling for years and has found a new life.. this bike should see a lot of miles next year!

Many thanks to Eric at Luna for great products and service, and for answering all my noob questions..

IMG_3837_zpsckvbzrpk.jpg

IMG_3835_zps2hpvomb8.jpg

Do you guys find that the chain line is okay with such short chains?

snowranger said:
Do you guys find that the chain line is okay with such short chains?

Speaking just for my Pacific Reach and the Airnimal Chameleon, the axle to crank measurement center to center is 16" .. which is the same as my Merlin.. so not overly short .. but my chain line isn't ideal.. I'm looking at a mostly straight chain line at cog 3 or 4 from the dropout of a 9 speed and a 68mm bb with 135mm rear spacing .. ideally, I'd like to move the chainring inboard about 5mm .. I'm running a 52t, so nothing out there commercially that I know of as a replacement.. I like the idea of steel teeth.. I may screw with it at some point.. but, knock on wood, I also haven't tossed a chain and it is quiet going down the road .. but I ride only on pavement.. right now, if everything continues performing as it has been, I'll be extremely happy.. I'm pleased with both bikes.

andrebandre said:
Dual drive and a cluster of 4 sprockets does the trick for me.

You were lucky to get a Jetstream EX to use as a platform.. that model never made it to the US through Dahon retail channels . How has the German A front fork held up? How about the Dual Drive? any problems with the additional power of the motor kit? I've got an XP, and Dual Drives sitting around and am contemplating a major upgrade .. are the Big Apples on stock rims or did you change to wider.. must be quite fast with the tall gearing ..

Not as fast as your thoroughbreds.

The cluster is 14-16-18-20 (or 21, can't remember) so not terribly tall but the chainring is 56 so even for 20" wheels is tall for my legs even with the DD .33 reduction from direct, but Beefy 750 aids plenty.

Waiting on a HD from Luna to make it even more enjoyable.

The pain and suffering i went through to lay my hands on an EX. And cost?

The German-A is the best reacting front fork i've ever had the pleasure to abuse, so far. Granted i only ride the bike on badly paved streets commuting to work (no off road, which is probably smoother where i live).

The DD has behaved outstandingly with up to 1500W bursts and 1000W continous loads for minutes at a time when i was pressed. Normally i ride at around 500W and help as best i can by pedaling. Haven't changed programming except adding 100%

throttle in Pas 0 and it seems all the rest, and i only go as high as Pas 3 when i pedal as i don't like high cadence, i prefer to push hard at 60 or so crank rpm. If i need higher speed i just use the throttle.

I am very pleased and wonder at the resillience of the DD. I thought it will quit on me long ago. I guess a 3 speed IGH coupled with a casette hub with a few srpockets is the best compromise between weight, complexity/reliability and

gearing range for mid drives.

Rims are stock (narrow) spray painted from raspberry pink to ugly dark grey. I like red bling to a fault but not pink. The bike came with Marathons Supreme, a little too skinny for my taste so i replaced them them with the 2.15 Big Apples

although i would've liked the 2.35's which sadly are out of production. I am still looking for fatter tires as the frame will take probably up to 3" or close.

I think it a worthwhile bike and you won't regret spending some dough in rejuvenating your old XP. It is a mature and well thought out bike and it can take a joke or two from a Bafang mid drive.

I plan on replacing my wheels with BMX width rims (red) and a similar DD setup when my actual drive train gives up the Ghost.

hajTiXA.jpg

JxC7o9e.jpg

207cg11.jpg

Back