• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

gas price thread

This has formed in the back of my mind. Starting to believe that the oil companies are price fixing for a price/distance traveled.
Guess I could start a chart.

It is known that where fuel prices are high ICE gets better fuel mileage. diesel fuel in the USA was always cheaper then everyone starting using it in cars/trucks then the price when past gasoline to match the better mileage.

Under stand that where prices are higher then people would buy for mph and as Chalo stated that the processing would drive up the price. Just wonder if the Oil companies expect this under standing and play on it by keeping the dollar per mile the same for most.

Oil prices have very little to do with supply and demand. A recent example is the crash from over $100 to less than $40 in 2014. That was negotiated by the IMF and had two major effects, firstly it initiated recovery from the 2008 crash (oil gets cheaper, everything gets cheaper) and secondly, the high prices allowed the fracking industry to develop and the crash wiped it out before it could get a return on investment allowing the major players to buy it out for cents on the dollar. Oil is a dirty business, it always has been but don't think for a second that the transition to electric will put an end to it, ultimately it's all about power.

ultimately it's all about power

Exactly! :lol: In many more ways than one.

BTU/gal, $/KW, wholesale vs retail costs (price at pump -charger). The entire refining and generation industries are under significant strain with high rates of independent generation capacity coming online. Unfortunately for them, its time they compete (Adapt) or face their new reality and continue to drop market share or be pushed out of specific mass applications.

My 1930' s gas stove and 1990's oil burner are seriously looking dated at the moment. My 1890's wood stoves even more so. :lol: Time to start learning about heat pumps, PV arrays (w/thermal extraction), induction burners, and reliable /cost effective battery systems to start implementing.

speedmd said:
diesel os 10% more than gas now ?..used to be the cheaper fuel.

Looks like they caught up to you down under. They have been pricing diesel in our parts closer to the btu/gallon content for some time. Adding significant road tax on top of that.
Here diesel is normally less expensive than gasoline (diesel requires less refining, therefore cheaper to produce) except when there are price runups due to (take your pick) perceived impending shortages, inclement weather or accidents knocking out refineries, ransomware attacks, political or war aggression threats to petro exporters, etc.

Then diesel price rises higher than gasoline because its demand is less elastic. Major gasoline users are common consumers that can "economize" and easily reduce their usage when price rises (can cancel or postpone vacation or recreational driving, can carpool more, combine trips, etc.) but major diesel consumers are OTR trucking industry, trains, transit, home heating, etc. that cannot easily reduce consumption.

The oil companies (more like Wall Street) knows how to take advantage of this inelastic demand for diesel and can price it higher during periods of strain.

Australia imports most of its petrol and diesel.
Prices are set by the Singapore International Market price..theoretically !
But it is not unusual to see up tp 20% difference ($0.30/Ltr) for the same fuel in different service stations, in the same street !
So, it is obvious that there is significant “local market” factor in the pricing, as well as the federal and state tax’s ($0.44/Ltr)

A Honda Civic will out perform a 70s Corvette. You can buy Cadillac that will out perform a 70s Lamborghini. These cars are cheaper safer and get better gas milage. That is not enough for some people. They have to have the hot car and the loud car. Then they floor it at every stop light. I for one want the prices to rise until we get rid of the hot rodders. I have been known to exceed the speed limit on a heavily loaded touring bicycle. I nearly crashed in the smokies last year after the highway department put sand on the pavement and I was only doing 45. Then there the idiots who think it is funny to run me off the road. I think even the Mclaren crowd would have to pried white knuckle off the handlebars if they had been through some of things I have been through.

Unleaded regular is up to $6.29/gal at the "cheap" place near here. We are within 10 miles of several large refineries, but if you go inland, further away from the refineries, the gas is a lot cheaper. We are just getting ripped off in this area.

Utah has had the cleanest air year i have ever experienced thus far due to the big trucks and SUVs that typically dominate the road being driven a lot less all the sudden. :lol:

I forget what gas costs because i only fill up the subcompact Mazda once a month. I think it's still ~5.00/gal here.

I'm seeing $7/gal for premium in SoCal.

Blessings for the quality of the precious air we all share being fiscally discouraged from needless fouling.

What year and model of Mazda is it?
I have been looking at the 3, 4, 5 and 6, 3 is to small, prob 4cyl, Mazda 6 is 6cyl but more spacious for tall folks like myself. I have had an old Mazda 323 once, very small but I fit in it good enough.

neptronix said:
Utah has had the cleanest air year i have ever experienced thus far due to the big trucks and SUVs that typically dominate the road being driven a lot less all the sudden. :lol:

I forget what gas costs because i only fill up the subcompact Mazda once a month. I think it's still ~5.00/gal here.

calab said:
I have been looking at the 3, 4, 5 and 6, 3 is to small, prob 4cyl, Mazda 6 is 6cyl but more spacious for tall folks like myself. I have had an old Mazda 323 once, very small but I fit in it good enough.
If you were ok in a 323, then you should be good even in a Mazda 2. Modern small cars are cleverly designed
A standard 2 can give good mileage whilst still being very practical .
Mazda even made an all electric model 2... with a range extender option !

The roads seem empty here or much less traffic at $4.60/Ga. The city is still out of attainment, over air pollution.

Guess your not going to use gasoline to pump the saltwater over the mountains to fill your lake.
by neptronix » May 22 2022 10:58am

You don't buy Gasoline anymore do you?
by liveforphysics » May 22 2022 2:45pm

I'm seeing $7/gal for premium in SoCal.

Blessings for the quality of the precious air we all share being fiscally discouraged from needless fouling.

I've bought gas 3 times in the last 8 years or so, with luck that number might never rise.
Two for other folks who were kind enough to give me rides, and once for a rented RV.

The last time I ever bought fuel for a vehicle I owned was in 2015. I had a pig of a Mercedes 300 SDL that gulped down diesel, getting about 30 mpg.

Everything has been either pedal-powered or electric ever since. Barring biodiesel or ethanol fuel cells becoming compact and affordable enough for my application, or the possibility of me building a mechanical-injection Cummins powered solar-electric-hybrid Mad Max vehicle that could run on all kinds of liquid crap(waste fryer oil, biodiesel, kerosene, brake fluid, transmission fluid, ect), I probably will never use liquid fuels in any vehicle I own ever again.

The electric velomobile is eventually going to be fitted with a roll cage or safety cell and set up to top 100+ mph using a regen-appropriate hub motor, and the shell will be covered in solar panels. And it will still be pedalable if the electronics ever fail due to having a fully functioning bicycle drivetrain, keeping the weight < 100 lbs, and having what will be a body almost as slippery as my Milan SL velomobile, to allow rolling averages of 25+ mph with the electric assist shut off or if the battery is dead. Total self sufficiency to run it is the goal, but with the capability of plugging into the grid for a charge always being still an option if needed. Even the size of moto rim I've chosen could fit the most common sized BMX tires scavenged from a child's bike in a pinch if tires ever become unobtanium. Can't get a more Mad Max appropriate vehicle than that.

And the current existing build is getting 150-200 miles @ 30-35 mph on 1.5 kWh of electricity. With a more streamlined body, I might get that same distance on 1.5 kWh @ 45-50 mph. Not bad for $0.15 of electricity at current prices. Not even the bus or light rail is that cheap, and I don't have to wait for it to arrive or adjust my day around its schedule. Like a car, I can just get in it and go, and carry whatever I need in the trunk space.

If I refine this design into something sellable, I think it could take off if we find ourselves in a resource-starved, high-energy-cost environment. A $4.50 gallon of gasoline might take an oversized penis truck 15-20 miles, but that same cost in electricity would take my electric velo 5,000 miles! All of these fuel guzzling vehicles transporting one person is awfully wasteful.

No, I sat in a Mazda 3 and its small but I had lots of layers on, will have to stop by a used car dealership to check out shoulder/head/leg room.

I just rememberws that Nep posted something on Hypermiling
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=mazda&terms=all&author=neptronix&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Mazda 2 is even more smaller, but light and great fuel efficiency.

Hillhater said:
calab said:
If you were ok in a 323, then you should be good even in a Mazda 2. Modern small cars are cleverly designed
A standard 2 can give good mileage whilst still being very practical .
Mazda even made an all electric model 2... with a range extender option !

Ok thanks for the heads up, if the car isnt too small and has a good safety record from the institutes that do testing I will put it on my list. I am willing to go heavier car, bigger car for safety at the expensive of fuel. I have looked at 2's on the road and dismissed them outright.

Hillhater said:
calab said:
No, I sat in a Mazda 3 and its small but I had lots of layers on, .........
Mazda 2 is even more smaller, ........
On the outside ,..sure !
But the space inside for the driver is not !

Interior room has always been an issue for me. The Volkswagen Bug (older models) always had great room. The last car purchased was the first thing that was checked. Would go set in it first (My Leaf). Hands down is the best fitting car/small truck that I have owned. Last was a full size chev blazer.

I remember how much a burden high gas prices. Last was $5 US/Gal. I'm so glad that addiction was broken 4+ years.

Month of May, its been floating around $4/gal in Kansas. Here is a pic from California

Bauchet Street, downtown Los Angeles.

zzon0p2c99191.jpg

Just a reality interuption here...
We are dealing with these current high fuel prices, which are jacking up the costs of transport for sure..
But, down here, (‘Stra’ya ) we are also beginning to see the impact of the current world energy situation impact domestic electricity prices,... which are delayed by existing supply contracts.
Consumers are being advised of increases of 30-100% next year for domestic supply,..which for us could mean prices of Au$0.4 - 0.5 (50c) /kWh !
Public EV charger rates are already far in excess of domestic rates, so using an EV will not be a financially advantageous option.
Your situation may vary, but do not ignore the possible hike in power costs generally.....the UK and Europe are also on alert i understand.

99t4 said:
‘Stra’ya ( :) ) generates most of it's electricity from coal and gas?
Yep !...
...BUT the reason for the power price increase is nothing to do with fuel costs ( ‘Stray’a has plenty of Coal and Gas ! )
In short, it is the result of dumb political commitments to “Net Zero” etc limiting the use of those fossil fuels, and hence forcing the closure of coal/gas generators without installing a workable alternatives ( only Wind & Solar). ‘Stray’a has NO Nuclear !
Consequently, if the wind is not blowing in the evening etc, then there is a shortage of supply which allows the old “market forces” to come into play and force up prices.
Wholesale power costs are normally been in the $30-$50 /MWh, .. but currently with bad weather/no wind those costs have frequently peaked above $10,000 MWh ! (Retail contracts delay these costs getting through to us consumers for a while)
This would be better controlled with more regulation of the Wholesale power market, but i suspect there are too many fat cats creaming a living from the situation .
This can/will happen anywhere “net zero” is forced through before sensible options are available ( look at Ca !)

spinningmagnets said:
Here is a pic from California

Bauchet Street, downtown Los Angeles.

Soon, that may be the norm around the U.S.

One issue is that conventional light-sweet crude peaked in production in 2005. Unconventional production may have recently peaked as well, but it's too early to tell. It will at some point in our lifetime if it hasn't already.

Another issue is that fiat currencies around the world are rapidly inflating due to excess money printing and stimulus, with a high risk of hyper-inflation.

These issues are conveniently ignored by the mainstream media, but the impact of these issues is nothing less than significant, and has some nasty ramifications in store for modern civilization.

The Toecutter said:

One issue is that conventional light-sweet crude peaked in production in 2005. Unconventional production may have recently peaked as well, but it's too early to tell. It will at some point in our lifetime if it hasn't already.
OR... its mostly down to “new US politics” screwing up the world energy market !
Shutting down exploration liciences, messing with distribution and market set ups, then poking the Russian Bear until they shut down 30% of the world oil supply......i wonder what that did to oil prices ?
The USA was back into oil independence for a while,..but Potus soon stopped that.

Back