• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Gecko takes one for the team!

mauimart

100 W
The other day I entered my garage to the smell of burning PCB. I immediately thought that it was one of my e-bikes and associated electronics that may have been the cause. However nothing was charging or left on so that was subsequently ruled out. I then directed my attention to my grid-tie solar inverter which was not on when it should have been. Upon further investigation I found this little critter (rest his soul) inside of the DC disconnect. He somehow managed to get in the box and crawl behind the circuit board that had upwards of 400VDC on the back side. Needless to say he straddled the + and - of PV input and brought the system to its knees. Both DC fuses blew as did the grid-tie circuit breaker. Luckily good design prevented the inverter from also being destroyed.

+1 for SMA honoring the warranty and sending me the replacement parts :D

The gecko's family members have been notified of the tragedy and have decided to forgo open casket viewing because of the charred remains. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Squamate Reptile Rehabilitation Foundation :cry:

Attachments

• gecko.JPG
    gecko.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • solar1.JPG
    solar1.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,662
  • solar3.JPG
    solar3.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,662
There's a lesson to be learned there by the manufacturer - make the case critter proof!

One place I worked at years ago had a power failure from a similar cause. They had big back up gensets that could supply the whole site, and which came on automatically if there was a power failure. They used to test them every week and during the test one week all the power to the site went off. The cause was a rat caught between one of the HV contactors, just as it switched...........

Jeremy Harris said:
There's a lesson to be learned there by the manufacturer - make the case critter proof!
Can't really fault the manufacturer of the DC disconnect as it is pretty well sealed up. My best guess is that he got through a service panel located outside a good 40 feet away, and then proceeded to make his way through the conduit. These geckos are always in search of warmth and I would have to say he found it.

No kidding, I hope he had good insurance.

I think I found your problem. Most Gecko's are only good up to 380VDC. You were using that poor little guy over his spec.

Stevil_Knevil said:
worst case of KFF I have ever seen here...

KFG = Kentucky Fried Gecko

finger lickin..... gross!

Guys, I think we have a more serious matter at hand here. This is clearly a display of alternative energy sabotage, orchestrated by the quiet, unassuming Gecko species in a suicide mission.

Back