Giant E+ Roam GTS 2022 conversion to throttle

Ciaranr1000

1 µW
Hi guys, just looking for any advice or help from anyone who has managed to add throttle functionality to the pedal assist Giant E+ Roam GTS 2022. Specs are: Motor - SyncDrive Core, 50Nm, Powered by Yamaha. Battery - EnergyPak 500Wh.

Looking to do this as I have a commute to work every morning, around 8 miles, and there's a lot of hills that can be a pain, especially if you're doing multiple runs too and from home a day, even with the motor assisting as much as possible. Plus, the 25Km/h limit can also be frustrating at times too.

Thank you for reading and fingers crossed I can get some guidance / advice soon!

Does this bike (or at least, the Yamaha assist system it comes with) have any variation available that comes with a throttle? If so, you might contact the manufacturer or a dealer of the system or bike and see if you can order it as an aftermarket addition (it might require reprogramming of the system by the factory or dealer to enable the throttle, or even replacing the controller and/or display with the version that supports it).

(I could not find any reference to a throttle on any OEM pages about the system or the bike in a couple minute's search, but did not spend much time on it).

Sometimes settings such as speed restrictions can be changed by dealers using special software (and sometimes special connection/programming hardware), or with special passwords to get into the OEM-locked / hidden settings in the display.

If those aren't possible:

I haven't run across that specific system yet, but it is probable (common with OEM systems) that it does not support any feature it did not come with, and that you would need to replace the controller and display (which may mean replacing the motor system as well, if the controller is integrated with it) with one that would support the throttle and all other features you want out of the system. :(

Note that some OEM systems also use communication between battery and controller to allow the battery to operate (charge or discharge), so it might also require replacing the battery as well, if it won't operate without the OEM controller. It might be possible to bypass / hack the internal electronics to still allow the BMS to work for safety of the pack, while not requiring the communications, or a new "generic" BMS might be required.

In the case of replacing the assist system, it's going to be easier and probably better to just build a whole new bike, and either keep this one as a spare or sell it to pay for the new one.

If you were up for some deep hacking of the system, you could determine what kind of signals the PAS sensor(s) inside the unit output to it's controller under it's various usage states, then intercept them with an MCU (arduino, etc) that also reads a throttle of whatever time you want to use, and have the MCU use that throttle input to create PAS signals to send to the controller in place of the original PAS signals whenever you are using the throttle, but otherwise just pass the actual PAS signals thru to the controller unchanged.

Ciaranr1000 said:
Hi guys, just looking for any advice or help from anyone who has managed to add throttle functionality to the pedal assist Giant E+ Roam GTS 2022. Specs are: Motor - SyncDrive Core, 50Nm, Powered by Yamaha. Battery - EnergyPak 500Wh.

Looking to do this as I have a commute to work every morning, around 8 miles, and there's a lot of hills that can be a pain, especially if you're doing multiple runs too and from home a day, even with the motor assisting as much as possible. Plus, the 25Km/h limit can also be frustrating at times too.

Thank you for reading and fingers crossed I can get some guidance / advice soon!

Back