GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

That's really unfortunate for them. I did enjoy my gng a lot! and their new version definitely addresses the majority of the original kits flaws. They have done a great job keeping up with competition and as much I'm a heavy LightningRods backer, I give the gng folks credit where it's due.

The new kit looks really nice too. Aesthetically pleasing.
If it performs better than the last one then they are doing well. I hope that's the case for anyone who's taken the plunge.

yeah i really like my GNG kit but then again it's got lots of mods including LR upper sheets and #25 chain primary

ebMCJxb.jpg

anyway i've been testing this cheap $35 sinewave controller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Useful-36V-350W-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-36V-250W-ebike-controller-48V-250W-350W-ebike-controller/32332393167.html

it's a really small 6fet rated 22A max. i think it's the same controller as the S06S that bmsbattery is selling

it's got a really smooth startup so it isn't jarring to the drivetrain

Hi guys

Long time no post ( from me). Just an update from 2012. Dad's ( roger). GNG kit is still going ok with no problems untill now..... it has a bit of a low speed problem and he thinks it's could be the controller or maybe a bad poll...so he got a new one delivered today so hopefully it will sort it out if not he will order a new motor.

Anyway the old crappy bike was seeing better days so I passed him down my cannondale lefty with full suspention to him and he has been slowly doing a full GNG conversion. There was not enough space to put it in normally so he went for an in frame mount , with a 4 front cog set up. Best of low and high gears :) :)
It's worked out really well , and I'm interested in how nice it goes with the extra low speed 60 tooth from cog. For slow trial type riding. Dad likes doing that around his property ( reminder old video I did at the start if this thread).
Anyway hopefully it will be going in the next few weeks and I'll do an update. Dad is 70 now and still won't grow up :D :D :D and we hope he never does......

And yes.... We are making a chain cover :) :)

Here is a few pics of the progress.

Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4,414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 4,414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4,414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4,416
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 4,416
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 4,416
UPDATE.
The original engine was at it end of it's life so dad ordered a new one. In the end he found the gearing was not right anyway , so he has opted for the GEN 2 , gear reduction motor to get back to the 10/1 reduction total on the drive cog.
This has enabled him to have the crawl or trials type gear for super slow hill climbing etc. top speed in the lowest gear is 5 kph and if you crack the throttle you just fly off the back haha. Drawing no amps but gives great slow off road hill climbing capabilities. In the mid gear on the front and highest on the back give a cruise speed of 38kph , once all complete and he is able to go for a proper side it will be interesting how it pull's the higher gears etc. He is running 56V

Tim

dear All,

I have had a GNG motor now for 2.5 years and have never had a problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that my range was dramitically reduced. The battery is fine (48V 12Ah), I have double checked all the connectors and wires and replaced the controller and throttle but I fear the problem is related to the motor.

When the Voltage drops below ~ 53V the motor starts clicking and cuts out. Its not like the lower voltage limit because, if I release the throttle and reingage I can draw up to 10 amps until for some reason, e.g. if i push the throttle for more power or ease off on the manual peddling the clicking starts again and it cuts out. I can typically get it going again and it's quite annoying.

After fully charging I can give full throttle and the bike works fine. Has anyone experienced this issure or reccomend a solution. Are there capicators or something in the motor that I can exchange. I don't necissarily want to open up to motor unless its really necessary.

Many thanks & best regards

E-Vince

E-Vince said:
dear All,

I have had a GNG motor now for 2.5 years and have never had a problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that my range was dramitically reduced. The battery is fine (48V 12Ah), I have double checked all the connectors and wires and replaced the controller and throttle but I fear the problem is related to the motor.

When the Voltage drops below ~ 53V the motor starts clicking and cuts out. Its not like the lower voltage limit because, if I release the throttle and reingage I can draw up to 10 amps until for some reason, e.g. if i push the throttle for more power or ease off on the manual peddling the clicking starts again and it cuts out. I can typically get it going again and it's quite annoying.

After fully charging I can give full throttle and the bike works fine. Has anyone experienced this issure or reccomend a solution. Are there capicators or something in the motor that I can exchange. I don't necissarily want to open up to motor unless its really necessary.

Many thanks & best regards

E-Vince
Why are you so sure that your battery is fine?

Many thanks for the response,

Before the battery reaches this ~53V threshold I can draw even 20A and the motor works fine. It seems to be that when the level of charge decreases and the voltage drops below ~53V, regardless of how much current is drawn the motor starts clicking and finally cuts out.

Usually I could discharge the battery to ~44V beifre the BMS would cut out the battery but that never caused the clicking and jerking that the motor does when I now exceed the ~53V. It feels like the battery has plenty of juice but something is cutting it out. Since I can't identify any bad connections up to the motor, I presumed it must be somethig inside.........

All the same I will try to get my hands on a e-load and hopefully rule out the battery. Any hints for what the problem could be in the motor or what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

E-Vince

I have the following mounted to the bike

https://www.google.at/search?q=conrad+voltage+measurement&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2v974kPzSAhUJDZoKHSg3AgUQ_AUIBigB&biw=1014&bih=470#tbm=isch&q=g.t.+power+rc&*&imgrc=984RZP_ttGesIM:

And the battery is the following

http://www.ebike-solutions.com/de/shop/fahrrad-akku/ebike-akkus/ebs-hi-power-ebike-akku-50v-14-5ah-mit-bms.html?action_ms=1

It sure sounds like the symptoms you'd get from having one weak cell that trips the low cell voltage cutoff before the rest of the cells have been depleted.

Ok thanks for the hint, I'll test the battery on an E-load in the next few days and see if it cuts out there also.

Many thanks

E-Vince

Overclocker said:
1KW said:
anybody purchase the new gen kit?

i opened a new thread on the new kit here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73700

it seems too many people got burned. not many seem willing to try the latest GNG :twisted:

What do you mean? Gng ripped off customers or you mean their quality was poor?

So I tested the battery on an E-Load and it works fine. I could drain the battery from fully charged down to the 42 V (the BMS cut off point) so the battery would seem to be fine.

At this point I have ruled out the controller and throttle by replacing them, I replaced all the connectors on the setup and crimped them neatly. It would seem that the problem must be to do with the motor.

I guess I will have to open it up and have a look. Any tips for what to check would be greatly appreciated. Are there capicators or something inside that could be faulty. It seems strahnge that the motor cuts out at ~53V..................

Many thanks & Best regards

E-vince

The E-load is just a device from work where I can dissipate power from the battery. So I drew 7.5A from the battery continously and ramped up the current a few times to 20 A to test if high current drawing triggered the fault.

Originally, I agreed with what Chalo said. But accordingly to your E-Load testing, there seems nothing wrong with the battery. Hope someone can give you some more hints.

Getting close to tearing down the unit to install a temp sensor and while it is open I will upgrade the original phase wires. They look tiny. Running a 1500w 18 fet sunwin with a 18s lipo pack which is showing well over 5kw on the newly installed CAv3. I may upgrade the controller at some point so I don't want to short myself.. Thinking 10 or 12 AWG for the phase wires. Has Anyone fitted 10 AWG in this motor. No issue opening the wire cut out in the motor case a bit if need be.

Back