GNG started selling just their motors alone

emaayan

100 kW
http://www.gngebike.com/belt-chain-motor

Hah, I would avoid them; I had a GNG mid drive Gen2 2015 and everything on that kit failed, motor being one of the worst offenders in breakage. I purchased the 1820-3000W Cyclone mid drive from Luna cycle and the Cyclone kit is everything I hoped the GNG would've been... just get a Cyclone man, better motors, better controller, better bottom bracket and better crank... for about the same price... don't waste your money on GNG.

G.

gman1971 said:
Hah, I would avoid them; I had a GNG mid drive Gen2 2015 and everything on that kit failed, motor being one of the worst offenders in breakage. I purchased the 1820-3000W Cyclone mid drive from Luna cycle and the Cyclone kit is everything I hoped the GNG would've been... just get a Cyclone man, better motors, better controller, better bottom bracket and better crank... for about the same price... don't waste your money on GNG.

G.

what was broken in the motor? and at what power did you run it?

r3volved said:
lol! The motor is pretty much the only reason why most GnG owners here on ES went GnG in the first place.

what was my point , i did not post about the gng 2015 or any kit, but the fact they intentionally sell the motor alone specifically for your d.i.y kit, i recall how people complained how jon is making them buy cheap parts just to get the motor, well now, you can. i wonder i finally can start my own hobby to to learn how to design stuff for it.

i don't how you can really compare gng 2015 to cyclone, one is rated for 700w, the other at least 3 times of that, and considering how poor quality gng's part if you run at those power levels you have nothing to complain about, i know i didn't.

i can tell you the shaft of the motor is extremely strong (it's long, long story how i got a moto'r's shaft fro my gng 2015 but involves jon trying to set me up, and actually benefiting me) , so strong my machinist broke several knifes on it trying to fashion it to a dual-d bore, it's diameter is 12mm. the bearing on the shaft are also different make.

one again, this is just the motor i'm of sale here, you get no cranks, freewheel, bb, basically none of the parts everyone complained about.

emaayan said:
gman1971 said:

G.

what was broken in the motor? and at what power did you run it?

Ran motor with the stock 22amp controller @ 48V. Shaft broke, clutch failed, planetary squared keyway failed, outer sprocket squared keyway failed... tensioner snapped, freewheel on the crank broke too... garbage... its just an overpriced cheap POS.

G.

emaayan said:
r3volved said:
lol! The motor is pretty much the only reason why most GnG owners here on ES went GnG in the first place.

what was my point , i did not post about the gng 2015 or any kit, but the fact they intentionally sell the motor alone specifically for your d.i.y kit, i recall how people complained how jon is making them buy cheap parts just to get the motor, well now, you can. i wonder i finally can start my own hobby to to learn how to design stuff for it.

i don't how you can really compare gng 2015 to cyclone, one is rated for 700w, the other at least 3 times of that, and considering how poor quality gng's part if you run at those power levels you have nothing to complain about, i know i didn't.

i can tell you the shaft of the motor is extremely strong (it's long, long story how i got a moto'r's shaft fro my gng 2015 but involves jon trying to set me up, and actually benefiting me) , so strong my machinist broke several knifes on it trying to fashion it to a dual-d bore, it's diameter is 12mm. the bearing on the shaft are also different make.

one again, this is just the motor i'm of sale here, you get no cranks, freewheel, bb, basically none of the parts everyone complained about.

12mm is crap, the Cyclone output shaft is like 20mm thick, you won't be breaking that... and if you do its b/c you've fallen of a cliff..... The motor shaft on mine was 12 mm too, haha, but thats the gotcha... its 12mm on the outside part, but 6mm on the inside part... so the 6mm part snapped after 100 miles or so. Sorry, if you look up my posts you'll see the crap I had to go through and fix to just get the GNG P.O.S. working, and then the clutch failed... not worth it.

G.

sadly i don't have a picture of the new magnet i got , but this is what the magnet and shaft look like on gng 2015, i don't think the new one was smaller ..
m__OwckHLZoR_wMlKUsCAB-aKzNqVXxJmkWUbzT0tNKqHhkAXZtDeTKie6H77xEQDQHdJ8z6SkA=w920-h690-no

Good is working out for you... this is what was inside my GNG motor

12191502_863275177120021_3910505018004917926_n.jpg

Look at the massive size of that bearing!! 6mm of pure terror holding it together... no wonder why it snapped TWICE!!

G.

emaayan said:
sadly i don't have a picture of the new magnet i got , but this is what the magnet and shaft look like on gng 2015, i don't think the new one was smaller ..
m__OwckHLZoR_wMlKUsCAB-aKzNqVXxJmkWUbzT0tNKqHhkAXZtDeTKie6H77xEQDQHdJ8z6SkA=w920-h690-no

Well the diameter of the shaft behind is now 15 mm. The bearing is 6102.
i'm not gonna run it with 3000w. but i think it can handle 1500w. the weakpoint i see now is the bearing itself. but i was also depends if the controller has a soft start.

just a question , i pondered about adding the image to my original post, but i figured people would just enter the link , is it customary to do that?

one thing i always wondered is would it be possible to mount a planetary reduction gear on it, the way it see it, i don't think so , because of the shaft is too long.

here are some more images.
this motor was sent to me in as a replacement part (jon told me it was damaged due to imporper shipping, i'm guessing maybe it participated in a test for their new kit) , i only needed it's magnet and shaft, so i didn't care.

0wgvEAXxv2PtWVDnC70v_MR483O_lGx0lt7Ym0DT57sonNFM1K1VtsVniUT3oLURgFN6kYkLkM_nuRzlK8tyeIm_y-gKfxSe4EpG_jWUvOZ_kizDhLN8wjen8bBDiAmLo0Yv982tMsjnz_FmetXfEnh_h_W5bKjQm0-5QycWFA0lmCohjKlErWhW-kh9Ps3wkapsrYrzZBkIvpzI6u3oCRD2WLqEcWlcDE87rqr-oJAZM8ZsWfYd6r-WjdszR29BrZF9A4zCN91c5QYKnqyGSlBvELKbwG9UyF8JE0LLQvGnlE10zqgfYctmRSl1_VaYKU2XYUsVwyCgar_MkLFUHBXbLcjTozjnlPmG_8DTCrrI6LWucwiGd-DzkQKZj_KFrXAbZ3_91AI4heAECgMmHOceyAAhQ25MkpkWHVxfMpfKOmfsbINnenM4cMXCA7TN63djy_s0B1JfXx8-lES166nwqwo3YPcScvgZTM81H7bPaGqorB8hvBA98KvZCdIIILPg-CHJRBU4nYct21GTCE2_EWLEVRpORo_JkQDiGWkah6DxnMtQxQ8YDUkj2Ro=w480-h640-no

1pD6cBdToDIqfa5aKsy7CT1nlQqMoUb1mg7ynVXmMHogCGmQ-8HEKD9nTFCg8mjGE_5OzaS_FgEDX9p_1TvgYRt_n0VERZfMOSM_PcO-1dBFo1L4gl6x3r5hw3d5-igDm2duym_ovnZv40x4s6u2xGU6Y5m5sKFhx0hWBn4QgQsOXH2RgaDvYNCkb5xVoeeXwzxWgxKn0rIPbR9b69Ipl0pqGabhpfCzRGPE6IxntyrEEj26h6jlXjqxppqDftxnV5VtmT2HJg22w0ISLpnKekhkFPDi-Y3GUIjsTZpbgjgnoqJtvTShvhjR2ki_Py-GBWI6akBQzJpEmp2I33JVikLFzoCDyl2baoD2eQINXp9bkY_5TdZmXUbnhFBHF1pDGZ0frzZah_2K7EtzwvYd5BKiKR9_B8dXXH_fbyVedUZBQveatfCDtfMlVlRktluwDjvmyXHkfhkVQH3GCY4w0KjxRSE8HMiXrPXDyxd1zKLaXWX6xie2V4mtd_2IQ72pWeArBpu-HLIus6vV6lSOuT0mc4Aik_f68sH17zaXnLJ9NPgqGdFVEyZw8rct9-s=w480-h640-no

and one more.

btw i should add that this is the first time i see a mid-drive manufacturer actually suggests their motor alone, i suggested jon to have a contest for pr sake where people would send in their designs :)

and he said " We have the resource and supplier to develop other kits but we have no ideas on which one is currently demanded by the market. What do you suggest?"

these are to ca recordings i've made (i should add that i ride a 29er and i myself am 120 kg)

this one for the motor limited to 2000w
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-analyzer.html?trip=crf3uR

the other is for 1500w
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-analyzer.html?trip=aeEutY

however this was done on their 2015 gng kit, jon says it's the same motor (which would make sense, as the magnet i got from that motor fit the gng 2015) the insdies of the gng 2015 are posted below this picture

FqiaYH6j8pNtfToU_pg2Kf6ENYrfMRdL1ITHvqT5Kove-mrlavAaFQi7dx6GQ-oeJLnjOD3xqEkdp88psrcmVKr86Yk9QxK14tqXDgUH7ahKlTqlP7DfS0YZA_uAdDaDNahUnu-QW0K6CRO-gKFAPuB1bd1PHD3EgQ6F4eZuj9BB3LRAqkp3T01k01_K6ZcU6OQw5u70GIY2UFcP_9jrJe3zUuwvVMKzpBhv00UbMZY5r2dQ-uyB4oeU6zSYf8Dr8nvCxQS60mUaUlIfCMHTE9itWgOXMv0ixBpuLHta-jf5pR5BA4eY7UnQ3FNqNUh13SxXT9Sl1_4kGJ9Y2n5gq8TBfHNNA3UA_YbKsNGvNYMtwp1ahRlUYyiGDDlaK-s_p1EspYo6BMJBELS4BxwnRPdIn0p-nP9tGJUvz2yCeug8ZevVPtwi35DY9kIMe_jCJP-hwT7aXeblcMbpTAbPV3Vu7KRHPsBH0u-MzOjGzZTgjjkYRi8PZujU5fqFa-nVtJ4sCyMWU2kNn3i7EsBMiBYfVhit_B5kUQIhQt2rB1mQkZFuELA5VmJEVQfhjR4=w1448-h1085-no

wNDgE72jOy0CqvSuM-rN86McZ_HBdGKbdSIGLILLdz3hYn8BKt9IqCd97eTbSJKQPSQ2ImsS49kcsQElOw2tppjp_BYfpekKe0lYK7D9gzzESy6X2kRFEx4UXnC4xP3qtftuqam0zlPXOu6lOA1h4NGjoRhP9M-ODsgqEqlMOyM6vATh1gLv6s7tUMXurvjms3SrAPwlQmXtkEdSFe1aXPeq3kgqA5dFL215PnLOvL0j7CrLEb8rs8hOemU_5GR_he0TVhXp5NNSKz1V30g3AxNzeDGXi4nAcZ7MI0879nfCXpeRUb_OFJ3XgZ8kQpcAsRyiUyvD81b_Co8aA0xItvmv6UuUsmlwvJktwmkLLmQkvT4-fk88ti06neOgP8RrJrLbh-TYXoCsFyVmwD2UQNkEY3-q5GqnNsAINK58JdSbvQr4zIatPwSzsHvEZMZZch5gsjFAJpUDRBpfe0JDCb5qk6_H6w2f90wb9crSOY9Kpn0-MEq4XqGClYqCjRSHPMi0RS_WoJlvsyLpmPiVh7Xa5lbSXhlqIIU_PUT68NV69KbUlBFP6KE7FSswdN4=w1448-h1085-no

On picture/link. Haha well, I clicked the link! Nah, you don't have to include stock pic in op, I just figured I'd pull the pic since I was there to check stats/price, which are good.

I've only heard about a similar motor that bzh mentioned on 'alternative motor' thread, and it could use a gearbox/reduction. Not sure why that'd be beneficial on a bike motor with proper kv though?

Anyway, nice motor!

i was wondering, what if a 2 stage planetery gear could be attached to it's front, and then the chain would be connected directly to the cassette?
i think it's called a direct drive or something,
then won't you be able to use a normal crank without the freehwheel, and have a freewheel on the jackshaft of the planetary gear?

emaayan said:
i was wondering, what if a 2 stage planetery gear could be attached to it's front, and then the chain would be connected directly to the cassette?
i think it's called a direct drive or something,
then won't you be able to use a normal crank without the freehwheel, and have a freewheel on the jackshaft of the planetary gear?
That is almost exactly what I'm going to build. The only difference being not in line but parallel and connected with belt and pulleys.
The problem with direct drive is that it gets to be too long and will not fit between pedals. My goal is to have pedals at original width.

Back