GNG Ultralight RC Mid Drive with Bluetooth control

robocam said:
Ah, I see. Maybe a GoPro on the helmet so the bike wouldn't be seen? I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

That will be no problem. As they say, I'll see what I can do.

I'm following the subject with interest, the set looks fantastic.
I found the engine on another site (Right-click to open in new window):
https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/product/36V-350W-BeWo-Mid-Motor-Eletric-bicycles-conversion-kits/1514220_32233180102.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.GY9J0Z

In time:
I believe that the equipment uses the same principle of the attached image.
But the reducer of the excellent article (http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tetz/e-assistmetric/ - John Tetz) is a mystery.

I have been researching on robust gearboxes for RC motors, with few results.
Can someone indicate some strong, 20:1, for a RC 50 mm?

Attachments

• image002_sm.JPG
    image002_sm.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 3,390
M_Ad said:
I'm following the subject with interest, the set looks fantastic.
I found the engine on another site (Right-click to open in new window):
https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/product/36V-350W-BeWo-Mid-Motor-Eletric-bicycles-conversion-kits/1514220_32233180102.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.GY9J0Z

In time:
I believe that the equipment uses the same principle of the attached image.
But the reducer of the excellent article (http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tetz/e-assistmetric/ - John Tetz) is a mystery.

I have been researching on robust gearboxes for RC motors, with few results.
Can someone indicate some strong, 20:1, for a RC 50 mm?

That aliexpress kit for $776 looks like a really fantastic bargain :lol: :lol: :lol: No, not really.

These small 50mm motors spin at very high RPM and 20:1 reduction will not do the job.

I just received two 63mm motors from Alien Power System, and chiseled some free time between real jobs, so finally I will get to build a hypocycloidal transmission for my new build. It will be tremendous. Even Donald Trump will be impressed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

"OUT OF STOCK: Due to the complicated manufacturing and testing procedure, this kit is currently out of stock."

Looks like GNG discontinued production for now.. :roll:

Attachments

• 2017-06-25 06_57_45-GNGELECTRIC---Electric bike conversion kitElectric trike kitHub motorGas b...png
    2017-06-25 06_57_45-GNGELECTRIC---Electric bike conversion kitElectric trike kitHub motorGas b...png
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,636
Lurkin said:
Fascinating drive, pity there has been no change in the status on their website...
I don't see anything fascinating about a kit that doesn't work.
I just finished building and started the thread about the kit with hypocycloidal transmission and a 6374 motor that can handle 5 to 10 times power of advertised GNG kit.
You can see it here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90432
Keep in mind that I just built it for fun.

I also found very similar mid drive from taobao.com (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.338.65e23eceVPXOdn&id=536287695596).

I guess GNG is just a dealer instead of the manufacturer. May be GNG cannot make the deal with the manufacturer and so they stop selling it.

I am also interested in it. But I would like to hear more reviews on it before buying. Hope those who own this will post more reviews on this mid drive. If anybody find the reviews from other sources, pls kindly inform me.

tmho said:
I also found very similar mid drive from taobao.com (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.338.65e23eceVPXOdn&id=536287695596).

I guess GNG is just a dealer instead of the manufacturer. May be GNG cannot make the deal with the manufacturer and so they stop selling it.

I am also interested in it. But I would like to hear more reviews on it before buying. Hope those who own this will post more reviews on this mid drive. If anybody find the reviews from other sources, pls kindly inform me.
If you don't trust what was reported so far, get one and let us know your experience.

Hi there,

I inquired GNGelectric on the kit specification because I'm interested in the kit due to its lightness compared to more powerful bafang bbsXX and its versatility compared to a hub motor. Jon from GNGelectric replied me in under 8 hours :

below are the specs.
Power: 280W , efficiency: 80%, around 15N.M at the bottom bracket. Motor RPM: 4800, reduction rate 1:30.

The motor can handle 280W continuous in 30degree Celsius without problem.

The kit is cadence-sensing.

When you pedal below few rpm the motor wont kick in, so shifting wont be a problem.

Right now we only have the chinese version of the BT app, but we hope to update it soon.

Now we have add another gearbox oil in the system so it is much quieter now. The unit keeps running 15000km now, and still holding strong.

We can supply parts if you have any parts need to repair.

I asked them to provide me with some videos in which the user experience is shared and to tell me in details how one can control the kit. No reply yet. Let's see.

Post by Storapa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 pm

The kit arrived today. Pics below. The weight as pictured (without battery etc) was 2050g.

So the weight of the complete kit is closer to 2kg and not 1.5kg as they mentioned ? this is because in the 1.5kg picture they do not include the left side chainring , chain and cover setup ? which is additional weight to the bike of course !

That's kind of sneaking advertising.... still pretty light but not much less than the standard cyclone 250w mid drive ?

:cry:
Bad.
I try to return it and I'm waiting for the answer of GNG.

When it works I like it. Amazing torque for its 300W. Lightweight. Easy to install. It asks for 6s architecture in the battery. With my 50Ah I do 120km with the low assistance, which is more than sufficient.
It works (should work would fit better) in my velomobile LEIBA XStream, 32kg without motor and battery.

Now the big BUT
After 2 months of daily use and 1300km:
It is stubborn and decides at the moment whether it is inclined to work or not.
With the battery in its lower third it refuses to start working.
With the 1°C yesterday it accepted to work after a good 50 (!) attempts to assist me in last part of a long steep slope, me pedaling with all my force, gasping and playing the keys of the remote control.
That makes me feel helpless and this makes me angry.

In commuting (with a nice Swiss hill and 62 years) I can't feel sure whether I'll be at work on time or whether I should leave earlier, at bicycle time.

Remember that internal resistance can quadruple at the freezing point.

If you have a 50ah battery that is 1C rates, it can be expected to have a 0.25c rating now.

Thus, 50a output at 1C is now 12.5a max, which is less than the controller wants to draw.

It is unlikely that the controller is at fault. Watch what happens on your watt/volt meter for a clue.

update:
I have sold the GNG ultralight to a member of ES in a warmer era, where it will work perfectly.
Dismantling it I noticed that it has worked the somewhat 1500 km without showing signs of use or loosened screws.
But the O-ring on the right side of the crank had been eaten by the bearing. I suppose that it was bad quality rubber which expanded and got caught in the moving parts.
So when you ride this kit keep an eye on oil loss.

jbm,

It's all good.
I did try it for a little while and it worked as advertised.
It arrived too late to mount it on the frame i had in mind.
All my 3 bicycles are taken for now but i did try the little punk and it seemed to work just fine.
At least it did started to spin. So life is good until the real deal is going to happen.

Back