Guinness World Record Attempt Ebike 5000 miles 30 days

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Not sure if there is more, thanks Lock for posting the initial story, here is a video along the way of the attempt! (not sure if he broke it, either way sounds like a blast! 8) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGoyMxgsWo

Impressive,, but not comparable to Troy Ranks ride, with no support van chasing.

Wish I could take a 30 day ride with a support vehicle. The wife says NO WAY! She's got far better things to do than sit on the road side waiting for a bike to go by.

dogman dan said:
Impressive,, but not comparable to Troy Ranks ride, with no support van chasing.

Wish I could take a 30 day ride with a support vehicle. The wife says NO WAY! She's got far better things to do than sit on the road side waiting for a bike to go by.

Yeah! I agree, not half as impressive as Troy doing it solo! (Guinness should take that into account IMHO)

Either way, good stuff, I can't help but think how much easier and more comfortable these record attempts would be with a recumbent E-Bike. :wink:

That said, probably better that they both used bikes that are closer to what the average person relates to (recumbents have their negatives as in more difficult to fit on a bike rack/ some much less visible as they are so low to the ground) but my hat is off for these folks to get the word out about E-Bikes!

I am sure if someone on ES put their mind to it however, they could easily best this new record solo and with much less $$$ invested than that $9k Stromer E-bike. 8)

I have to say, I would LOVE to see what it might take to up this record once more, riding a recumbent at the same speeds using mostly "off the shelf" bicycle parts as drive train with my mid-drive, I think I would easily keep pace riding on my "hammock on wheels" vs both of these guy's using the "medieval torture devices" otherwise known as your average bicycle saddle.

The real question is how I would need to prepare/gain a "Guinness World Record Attempt" official status.

I would actually prefer NOT to have sag vehicle support, not much test of a E-Bikes durability if you have someone following you around changing tires and batteries for ya! :p

LI-ghtcycle said:
I have to say, I would LOVE to see what it might take to up this record once more, riding a recumbent at the same speeds using mostly "off the shelf" bicycle parts as drive train with my mid-drive, I think I would easily keep pace riding on my "hammock on wheels" vs both of these guy's using the "medieval torture devices" otherwise known as your average bicycle saddle.

The real question is how I would need to prepare/gain a "Guinness World Record Attempt" official status.

I would actually prefer NOT to have sag vehicle support, not much test of a E-Bikes durability if you have someone following you around changing tires and batteries for ya! :p

I am the guy who just set a new a Guinness World Record.
5100 miles in 34 days.

The BIG differences between my attempt and troy rank's attempt are

1 . I used a sag wagon to carry my stuff but troy did not! [ Kudos to Troy]
2. I had to pedal all those 5100 miles. Troy used throttle all the way.
My bike did not have throttle at all and it was a 500Watt motor compared to 2Kw motor on Troy's.

You need go through a whole list of process's before being recognized by the Guinness organization. Application, pre-approval, proof, signatures, GPS logs, video proofs etc.

In a few years, I will try to set the bar at 10,000 miles in two months.
I also documented every second of my ride on my GoPro. I have 3TB worth of videos to process and upload.

Well done.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.sunrider.fr/category/info-du-jour/

He did 6952km in 25 days and he brought his camping stuff

...and he ONLY used solar energy!

Running a fast ebike from a big battery and recharging it over night via the grid is one thing, doing this by solar energy only (and you have to bring the panels with you!) is quite interesting from an efficiency point of view...

Maximilian Semsch rode 16,000km around Australia on a Pedelec in 2012:

http://www.what-a-trip.de/de/home.html (in German)

But he had a supply vehicle.

Cephalotus said:
Well done.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.sunrider.fr/category/info-du-jour/

He did 6952km in 25 days and he brought his camping stuff

...and he ONLY used solar energy!

Running a fast ebike from a big battery and recharging it over night via the grid is one thing, doing this by solar energy only (and you have to bring the panels with you!) is quite interesting from an efficiency point of view...

That's a nice run, but only 4318 miles.... I guess he should have gone another 5 days... These comparisons do breakdown in many respect, but the miles are miles with the butt on the seat and electric power supplementing the effort.

5100 miles in 34 days.

My bike did not have throttle at all and it was a 500Watt motor compared to 2Kw motor on Troy's.

You need go through a whole list of process's before being recognized by the Guinness organization. Application, pre-approval, proof, signatures, GPS logs, video proofs etc.

I also documented every second of my ride on my GoPro. I have 3TB worth of videos to process and upload.

Ravi,

I look forward to your video post/blog. 34 days of straight riding is a feat and doing it with a PAS system is a big challenge, physically. I can't imagine how tired you can get. I saw in your blog that you took off a couple days early on. Was that for rest or other?

Tough question: at the 30 day mark, you were short of Troy's record (4383.7 vs 4443), and then you proceeded to pass beyond to 5100. Does that milestone factor into the decision of Guinness giving you the official record? In other word, you have to beat him in the same time frame, and then go on to set a new benchmark? Does there have to be *some* common time constrain? Can you share that with the forum for those interested in the challenge?

Again, super effort and great ambassador for our sport.

Dan

shuttlespace said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

5100 miles in 34 days.

I congratulate you on the record!

Welcome to Endless Sphere! :)

I would be interested to know what kind of wattage you ran however, since unless you have a watt meter (to see the actual draw while under-way with something like a Cycle Analyst: http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-analyst-3.html ), or some kind of watt limiter, just because the motor is "rated" at 500w doesn't necessarily mean it cannot draw more than 500w, and correct me if I am wrong, however, your bike was using a speed pedalec with a top assisted speed of 28 MPH?

How much of that speed is accomplished with motor, and how much with pedal power?

Also, it would be fair to note that although Troy's motor was rated higher and used a throttle, (primarily? or exclusively?) he was also carrying all his gear with him, so a more accurate comparison would also consider how much his bike + gear weighed, and then you could compare apples to apples, i.e. power to weight ratio between the two set-ups.

Some have less ability to pedal, and I think both are commendable, there is room for all, I am currently trying to put together a trike for someone who is unable to pedal, (no use of his legs after being hit by a car) and it is important that his battery & motor combination can still get him decent range.

Still! I don't mean to take away from your accomplishment in anyway, and any and all of these things help to further the exposure of E-Bikes into the mainstream, I applaud and commend your effort! :D

Back