Hall sensor replacement

Hey everybody, I'm a noob with a couple questions. I have a 36v 500w bldc hub motor that has been acting up. Basically the motor would make a loud noise when spinning, and would have dead spots that required me to spin the wheel in order for the motor to engage. This led me to believe that the hall sensors had failed. So I recently received some honeywell ss41 hall sensors and replaced only 2 of the 3 in the motor. I only replaced 2 because thy are so hard to get into the existing space with out breaking them. so I took a shot with replacing 2, and now the motor doesn't spin at all. Could this be from mixing hall sensors? Also I couldn't get the sensor to sit al the was into the square notch. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a volt meter. I was reading online on instructables about hall sensor replacement, and my motor had the symptoms they were describing of failed hall sensors.

so you need to finally test it to determine if there is really anything wrong with them, after the fact as it were.

the 5 pin plug from the controller to the motor has +5V power on the red, ground on the black and the three hall sensor ouputs on green, yellow,blue

first, you power up the controller with the hub motor connected through the 5 pin plug, leave the phase wires disconnected.

second measure the voltage on the red wire, using the red voltmeter probe. put the black probe on the ground. you can stick the needle of the probe into the backside of the 5 pin plug to make contact with the connector while it is plugged in. the red wire should measure 5V or 4.8V sometimes, but there has to be voltage on the red wire.

measure the voltage on each of the hall sensor wires, green, yellow, blue the same way but while slowly rotating the wheel backwards, not forward.

each hall sensor will toggle on and off if they function properly as you rotate the wheel, backwards if it is a geared motor, or if a direct drive motor you can go either way.

Back