• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Handling the fallout from Covid-19

kcuf said:
4000 amazon employees

receive food assistance

end of corporate welfare long overdue

what twisted mind considers business profitable

if/when company asset (labor) unable to sustain themselves

jump on Jimmy Dores bandwagon and his push for a floor vote on medicare 4 all and you wouldnt have to be a slave to the corporations

I tend toward his side regarding the big corps, but those like in agriculture and meat processing where only the illegal immigrants will work for those wages. I'm against those companies, but control of the borders as well enforcement to prevent hiring illegal workers is the solution. Consumers are partly to blame through insistence on artificially low prices and the convenience of shopping at the biggest stores. Buying a few steps closer to the farmer is better in all respects. I don't think those workers are the homeless though.

I don't feel sorry for those treating jobs that used to be done by part time students to be a career choice, such as working the counter at a fast food joint. Demanding a wage that can support a household isn't reasonable to me. Maybe a really good barrista can make good tip money, but have some self respect and don't make a career of it.

The increase in homeless problem tied to Covid19 is the fault of state and local governments' unconstitutional edicts that are killing small businesses. Assistance helps but can only be temporary. Loosen the rules so small businesses can reopen and encourage consumers to shop with them to erase the gains of the likes of Amazon and Walmart. There's no sane argument that customers and workers are less safe at a small business as long as they don't spend much more time out in public.

The average USian lifespan has dropped by well over a year

since Trump took office!

Between 2000 and 2014, life expectancies were up an average of 0.15 years each year. That continued a trend that had seen an almost 10-year increase since the 1960s. 

So not all his fault to be sure,

but boy he didn't help much did he?

Oh well at least the stock market's nice and healthy. . .

Stands now at 77.48 years, lowest since 2003.

Blacks dropped by 2.1 years, now more than five years lower than it is for whites.

Latinx by 3.05 years.

Back