Harbor Freight Atlas Lawn Mower Troubleshooting Help

csvendsen

1 µW
Hello everyone. New to the forum and amazed the resources here. I am just beginning the journey of learning how much can be done with battery technology and the various components needed to make it all work. That said, I am in need of assistance troubleshooting my lawn mower the wife may of broke.

The other day she was mowing lawn with this mower and hit a rock in the yard. She said it shut off when she hit rock however was able to start up again and continue mowing for a few minutes. Eventually it stopped and she assumed the batteries died and put on charger to fully charge. I come home to find lawn half done and she tells me what happened. I take batteries out and mower will not start. All I get are 4 beeps in a row. Did some testing and found that the self propelled function does work. Took off covers and metered the motor windings which while turning motor by hand go from about 1 ohm to 80 to 250 ohms from what I can tell so assume motor is okay. Tested output from motor controller and with motor plugged into it I get 0 Volts. Without motor plugged in I will get from12 volts to 3 volts as if is attempting to send voltage to motor but controller not seeing something it needs too send full voltage.

Anyone have any ideas how to get motor tested to ensure it is okay and if issue may be in the motor controller. I couldn't get motor out completely but appears there is no other components connected to the motor other than a circuit board inside the motor case on top the motor but cannot tell what function of that is. I did find this part list with a PCB assembly available. I was going to call to find out price of part. If under $50 worth trying out. Any ideas you all can provide on how to figure out what ultimately is issue be much appreciated. I fear she damaged the motor with hitting the rock and the motor is putting to much of a draw on the motor controller and burned it up. Unit is completely sealed in black epoxy so no chance of testing any components on motor controller.

Well, having done a lot of testing and thanks to internet have figured out a bunch. Long story short I am F'ed. The motor is fine. Appears the motor control board is issue. The number of beeps you get from board signals various issues. The 4 beeps i was getting has to do with an over current condition. Sadly Harbor Freight only sells the entire mower head as an assembly not down to the individual parts in the assembly. Tried to cross reference with various greenworks tools and found a controller which may work but will not ship to the US, only CA. Ordered a new 40 volt greenworks mower that I should be able to adapt my atlas batteries too and will use my atlas mower for parts. Or, may get a motor controller and see if can make it work using a third party controller. Sadly I cannot locate the control that is used anywhere and there are no identifying marks or part numbers on device anywhere. If I get any further with this will let you all know.

Back