Has anyone done an electric Fixie ?

Ypedal

Staff member
I've seen BMX's, mtb, cruisers, choppers, trikes, quads, etc etc etc.... but i canot recall anyone building an e-fixie ??..

People at work ( who DRIVE A CAR to work ) poke fun all the time at my not pedaling my bike like a regular cyclist would, not that i really care what people at work think .. but got me thinking it would make a pretty cool exercise rig, clip yourself in and go... forced exercise ! :twisted:

For me that would be like being run over from behind by a lawnmower. I presently worry about my old freewheel locking up @ speed and ratcheting off my shoes and the back of my pants. :lol: Maybe it is possible though, power on demand?

A Stokemonkey is half of this; pedals turn when the motor is on. It isn't a problem. You could certainly do it, but you aren't necessarily going to get a lot of exercise, at least not the aerobic kind. You will do a lot of faux pedaling though.

I've barely even seen electric singlespeeds, let alone an electric fixie.

How do I go singlespeed with a MAC hub?

...if you desire forced exercise get a pedelec sensor and disconnect the throttle.
done

Pretty sure Mike Fairbanks just did a singlespeed. But not a true fixie where your motor would spin your pedals.

A true fixie also has no brakes you know. Yahoo! Lets build a 72v fixie! Better have regen when you let off the throttle.

Forced exercise, isn't that exactly what some of those spinning exercise stationary bikes do? I used to crack up every morning on my bike commute, passing the health club there they'd be, riding bikes inside. Where's the fun in that?

A fixie with a rear DD hub, strong regen and a BB torque sensor is totally possible.

Haven't seen one yet. Plenty of singlespeed with freewheels though.

I'd have a good mechanical front brake for a security still.

Haha, imagine a fixie with a pedalec sensor, it would be on constantly ... hopefully there's no traffic around.

Re: Single speed ebikes, not at all uncommon, I have two and I'd venture 50% or more of the bikes on here are also single speeds.

Here is my fixie ebike. Although I didn't run it as a fixie for long, got a bit too scary, so flipped he hub back to a single speed.

15kg, ~50kph, 500-1000w, 370wh.
file.php

Wow Adrian,

That is one beautiful and clean ebike.

I have been thinking of building something like that. Is that your commuter booster on that bike? Is there a build thread on that bike? What an elegant solution for a fixie :)
adrian_sm said:
Here is my fixie ebike. Although I didn't run it as a fixie for long, got a bit too scary, so flipped he hub back to a single speed.

15kg, ~50kph, 500-1000w, 370wh.
file.php

I did a single-speed. It has a coaster brake. I have to add a front brake this week, but I wanted it as simple as possible. It's a great bike. I took my time to find the right frame, parts, etc. It's a ton of fun. In fact, there are times I want to take the kit off and ride it as is.

But not fixie. It's kind of like a fixie with the coaster brake, but not a true fixie. Too intimidating for me.

Mine has an SLA battery (48 volt, 9ah) which is 22 pounds. When I get a Ping it'll be half that weight and smaller.

I painted every single part black. The only thing I didn't paint was the EbikeKit.com label. I want people to see that, investigate it, and buy from them. Ebikes are awesome.

CA04011218141493-M.jpg

Green Machine said:
Wow Adrian,

That is one beautiful and clean ebike.

I have been thinking of building something like that. Is that your commuter booster on that bike? Is there a build thread on that bike.

Thanks. I actually really like the single speed for just cruising around. No need to think about what gear you should be in, or when to change gears, just pedal an enjoy. Of course with a little assistance at the push of a button for when you hit that hill, or need to speed things up a bit. :lol:

The bike was actually pulled out of hard rubbish, but required new wheels. I then cut the bars, moved the brakes, put on a spare seat, and got rid of deraileurs, new chain. Really happy with how it turned out, and this is my daily ride now for heading off to the shops, and shortish commutes. But it is a bit of a harsh ride compared to modern bikes, so for longer trips I will go with my road bike.

No build thread for this bike, as it is only a ten minute job to install the Commuter Booster kit. But if you want more info, check out my youtube channel which covers pretty much everything to do with the kit. I don't want to spam this thread with embedded videos, but this one shows the installation in real time.

- Adrian

SamTexas said:
sico said:
Haha, imagine a fixie with a pedalec sensor, it would be on constantly
Why would it be constantly on?

Because the crank sensor turns the motor on when the pedals are going and the pedals are going when the motor is going ... I suppose you could switch it off though.

sico said:
SamTexas said:
Why would it be constantly on?

Because the crank sensor turns the motor on when the pedals are going and the pedals are going when the motor is going ... I suppose you could switch it off though.
That is consistent with the forced exercise idea. Once your feet are clipped and started, you have to keep pedaling until the programmed LVC. :mrgreen:

sico said:
Because the crank sensor turns the motor on when the pedals are going and the pedals are going when the motor is going..
Only true for cheap sensors based on crank's motion. True pedelec sensors are torque based.

so, if you are coasting down a hill, with your pedals rotating, no motor. but if you apply force to accelerate or climb, motor powers up? but wait, isn't your name Ypedal? like "why pedal"? I'm confused.

DC

I wanna do this as well. Except with a freewheel instead and vbrakes.

I am thinking about a fuji track pro with my carbon fork.. But then it's like .. A hub motor will not be going in the front forks.. And no way to spread 120mm rear aluminum dropouts.

A geared hub will be necessary.. Probly a 24v cute hub motor powered at 48v... With a 700c wheel that's some good top end speed. I never even bring my Marin offroad.. Kinda a waste,

I just wanna see people reactions hauling at 30mph uphill on a track bike... :)

Keep battery small.. And light weight. Plus you won't need many amps due to the geared hub...

Back