Heinzmann hub motor opened up for service

recumbent

100 kW
Had to grease the gears after 6 years of use, 4 of those years was my only ebike.
It's hard to figure which part goes where because I didn't take enough pics but I'll explain as well as I can.

This is motor part separated, to expose the other gear cluster.

This cover side is where the electric motor is housed, but after looking through split casing all was in great shape with brushes still long and clean, so I didn't do the complicated dissassembly with springs flying out etc.

Could not get a good picture of motor guts, but it's the same as every other brushed motor except the 3 brushes (graphite blocks) are huge compared to the copper hub it rubs against. I'm not familiar with technical terms, sorry.

And all metal gears! With others we get either no gears or nylon gears.

Heinzmann is supposed to be the best e-bike motor, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

tomv said:
Heinzmann is supposed to be the best e-bike motor, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

Heinzmann were one of the original hub motor years ago (this motor is 8 years old) when you seen solar cars 10 years ago many had Heinzmann motors. They are available in Europe, many companies don't enter the USA market because of litigation issues, ask any light aircraft operator.

As for the gears, nylon are more quiet, heinzmann have nylon on the lower amperage units. Geared hubs have better take-off torque and feel great, but generates a little noise when power is applied.

edit: for proper english

tomv said:

Heinzmann 24/36v 400w rear hub motor (nylon gears, clutched) mounted on 26" 36 spoke wheel 4 sale with 4QD 36v controller. does 19mph.

colorado

email off line

lawsonuw said:
oooh, a round axle with an integrated torque arm! Why don't the other hub motors do this? no more worries about splitting your bike's drop-outs.

Marty

No kidding! It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to integrate the torque arm into a Crystalyte or Puma style motor if it was designed that way from the beginning.

Some of the Heinzmann motors used nylon gears and had reliability issues with them. Metal gears are much more durable. The only complaint I've heard is they are a bit noisy, but not really bad.

Six years?
Looks like new.
This motor must have run minimum 5000km.
Gears look like new to me.
What is your estimate milage on this motor?
Is noise really noticable, like on Merida bicycle?
MC

recumbent,
but you are also very clean person, I can say from the pictures, you care about stuff, clean.
You don`t jump curbs on bike and things like that, I mean abuse, can see from pictures.
I am in Alberta. Do you know of any dealers in BC for Heinzmann?
MC

miro13car said:
Six years? Looks like new. This motor must have run minimum 5000km.
Gears look like new to me.
What is your estimate milage on this motor?
Is noise really noticable, like on Merida bicycle?
MC

I clock 2,000 KM per year for the past 15 years, or whenever the cheap cycle computers started to sell for less than $30. I burn-out a cycle computer every three years and rack-up 6,000km everytime religously.

The pictures don't quite show the muddy grease in the small drive gear but after cleaning, it looked brand new except the gear faces were shiny, no burr nothing, many days here in the Okanagan it gets hot and i ride till my batteries die=couple hours. The motor would get so hot that i could not hold my hand on the housing, partly due to the blazing sun also.

I seldom jump curbs with electric bikes, but go trailriding often with dust as the main enemy. This particular motor is mounted to my only moutain bike. The rim in the picture was brand new the same day as motor was laced.

Notice the two guide pins in the motor housing to locate the gears perfectly, the whole constuction was built well, I'm amazed at how clean the motor area was, where the brushes are located.

The noise level (accelerating only) is somewhat annoying to older folks, but enjoyable to my younger relatives who grin with glee when they ride my heinzmann bike. Less noisy than Curry and more solid whine like 1940's transmissions in first gear.

It only goes 30 kph fresh off the charger, but was told to use 48 volts to get full potential, the electronics are rated at 30 amps, has thermister thing in batteries, cost $300 to replace batteries couple years ago. When batteies get near dead the controler pulsates the motor to save power or batteries too hot not sure.

You can try my bike if you ever get to Okanagan (8 hr drive from Calgary) I'm going to sell the kit once i get my recumbent going. Paid $1,200 for it new you can have it for $500 if you pick it up, incl. the wheel which is high quality unit.

lawsonuw said:
oooh, a round axle with an integrated torque arm! Why don't the other hub motors do this? no more worries about splitting your bike's drop-outs.

Marty

A round axle is thinner and weaker. I'll take the thicker, keyed axle any day of the week - it has to carry regular loads plus battery weight etc...

-JD

this Heinzmann was living outdoors for the last 6years and was filled with water when I opened it. the brush springs had rusted and failed. Installed new springs and it ran good again.

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11,528
  • rusty1.jpg
    rusty1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11,514
  • magnets.jpg
    magnets.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 11,504
  • stator1.jpg
    stator1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11,495
oatnet said:
A round axle is thinner and weaker. I'll take the thicker, keyed axle any day of the week - it has to carry regular loads plus battery weight etc...

-JD

This is an easy issue to fix. Since only the ends of the axle have to be thin and most of the stress on the axle is in the center, all that's needed is to keep the axle large until it has to go through the dropouts. Only then will the axle drop down to a smaller threaded stub for the axle nut. Routing the power wires might be an issue due to the small diameter of the end of the axle, hopefully power wires will be run along one of the integrated torque arms like Heinzmann did.

Marty

What is a good grease for the internals of the Heinzmann? Also what is a good source for the brush springs.
Corrosion is the main enemy of these motors.

Back