• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help me with brake confusion

Hi folks

I need to buy a set of brakes to replace the crappy things on an MTB I just electrified with a 48v 1000w hub motor on the front. A disk brake won't fit, the frame lacks the brackets and the forks aren't wide enough to fit the motor with a disk mounted on it.

So it's rim brakes.

After a couple of hours of reading I'm confused. I want a set of brakes that are suitably high performance but not too expensive. Shimano and Avid seem to be the preferred choices.

Some guidance definitely needed as I've gotten thoroughly confused.

It would help if you say what you are using now, and/or provide pictures.

Even the low end stock Shimano V-brakes are good and very powerful when adjusted right.

I haven't got any brakes now, hence I ned some. The ones that were fitted got thrown away.

What do you need to see a picture of? The bike has two posts for mounting.

I was wondering why your brakes were not working well. Just get some basic sets of Shimano V-brakes and levers, such as Acera. Measure your bike/wheel to make sure the reach is compatible.

I have the levers that came with the hub motor kit, those should work with a set of shimano brakes, right?

Back