help please regarding my cyclone

Dingo2024

100 W
hi, as I have posted in my build log my bike died this morning :cry:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18130&start=30

I opened the throttle at a road junction and it went dead..no CA display or lights on the throttle; got it back home and started to look for what the problem was (although I am not too experienced in this)
I have a meter and the battery and controller are removed from the bike. the inline fuse has not blown

I got the CA to function by disconnecting the controller it reads 50.4v battery voltage (48v 16s cell_man pack)
The controller is apart now and nothing appears burnt on the board but if you put the meter across the power leads (red and black) it reads open circuit..is this correct
what else is there to check? how do you test the motor with a meter?
the throttle was stripped down and appeared ok

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Ian :D

Hi, Do you have a BMS in between the battery and the controller? I had a similar problem after fitting a cycle analyst ( See http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15450 ) I had inadvertently damaged the BMS which dicharged the top cell and then (correctly ) cut the power to the controller. Maybe something similar happening?

hi dingo,

if my ebike have stop at the middle junction, i will have check battery connection power. most likely the bms had cut off or the connection between power and battery wire. off again, and plug it back, does the light returns back to normal. the 48v, 16cells it will give you almost to 60v. as for my fully charged will 58.95v.

cyclone controller down is abit tricky. it can have no lights in your throttle or have lights in your throttle. the only thing when you throttle On, it just don't move. this happen to my 48v controller. No sound of damage, just nothing. it will not move the motor. i have ever once blow my controller 48v. (how do i test the motor?) i used my 36v controller run the 48v motor 1500watts... results.. it can run the motor without a problem. and i plug it back my 48v controller motor, result i get.. motor don't move at all. so the picture is very clear,, motor is down. however my this 36v controller is also down/ spoil or what. i haven't try to find it out, why and do recovery.(Ensure) when your test the voltages is really giving 48v current to the controller, it should run the motor for sure. if it don't run, i fear... controller is not working. Or go to he cyclone agent and borrow one working controller... and test it with the motor. You can see, the motor sure spin/ run.

the trouble shooting is the same like trouble shooting a Pc. eg vedio card.. = no display.. i unplug my vedio card again, get one new card and plug it in... Wow.. display appear. 31/7/2010, i went to meet one ES member in singapore. He owns a x5304, he is the only person i believed to own it. the x5304 motor is slightly visiable heavier then Conhismotor also it seem it looks like same weight too. he had also ever own several cyclone motors too, however it fails eventually too!. cyclone controller needs very good luck to work

Only x5304 in singapore..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49677481@N03/4708900180/

i have done 1800kilometers for this hub motor+ just in few months, no problems from the controller. it seem it can run as far as my battery can support the power. im ordering another pack of lifeo4 48v 12a cells,, 10c for each cells.im trying my luck too for this infamos , bmsbattery.com. hub motor has Nil problems for me.

kentlim

thanks guys for the replys.......but have found my answer and the bike is now up and running again :D :D :D :D :D :D (ebike grin is BACK)

it was the controller after all....the good thing is I drove to the UK cyclone distributor today and just swapped and tested everything until we got it working ......no cost incurred

That is good news! Just a question.. now that I'm looking at you're build postings. Do you have any problems with your foot hitting the motor at all? I have a 24V cyclone on a mountain bike, setup similar to yours but because the motor is shorter the cranks go right past it, but from measuring the 48V cyclone motor I have on a recumbent it is too long.

hi dingo,

that is good news from you, at least you got a uk cyclone agent down there. my studies, for the controller to the throttle has very little problems. please electrical tape the connection, to prevent any rain water/ gets in. (at times, at a sudden rain, rain water can slip into the connection) it can cause the motor to move itself, that will be a problem. (i had this accident happens, i can't stop the ebike running, some rain water run inside the connection with the throttle.)
for the new controller you are using, it can last you a Long time. (as long you have keep this moving at least afew times in a week) electronic things will keep on working. for 48v controller or the 36v controller is tough, my lasted the longest is about 1year. just tape the connection between the connection, will be okay. controller to throttle. Controller to motor, i have also silicone my motor out wires. (prevent water slips in) check chain flexible.. spray abit w4d...and enjoy!!

kentlim

lalaland said:
That is good news! Just a question.. now that I'm looking at you're build postings. Do you have any problems with your foot hitting the motor at all? I have a 24V cyclone on a mountain bike, setup similar to yours but because the motor is shorter the cranks go right past it, but from measuring the 48V cyclone motor I have on a recumbent it is too long.

Hi lalaland,

it is good news indeed...got a 17 mile ride in today and it appears the bike is performing better than it was prior to the controller blowing.

As for the cranks hitting the motor, I have not had a problem. I installed the 153mm wide bottom bracket from eclipsebikes (cyclone UK distributor) on my bike

http://eclipsebikes.com/153mm-cartridge-bottom-bracket-p-996.html

and it now has about 25mm clearance (measured on the bike)

hope this helps,

Back