Help with Controller On/Off Switch Schematic

majornelson

100 W
I know the E-S forum's electrical engineering chops are pretty strong! Mine are not... I still struggle with soldering... :oops:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/482#Technical_Details

I bought this switch to use on my commuter bike (Q100 with CON62 controller). The controller on the bike has an extra wire that can be hooked to a key-switch to turn the electronics on and off. Not certain of the voltage but I currently have it soldered into the power wire coming from the battery (12S Lipo at 44v). I would like to use this switch to turn the bike on and off. And also to have it glow green when on. However, it has five connectors vs. the two I was expecting. I've attached a link to the schematic.

Looks like the outer most contacts are for the LED. I'm guessing I need to step down the power to the LED? How? Also, can I wire the switch directly to my battery for on/off?

Or... is this a bad idea and I should just get another switch??

Great Fine! Looks like this will be my on/off switch for my bike. : ) Sorry I can't help much until I can get a hold of the switch and play with it myself.

The best way is to get a multimeter and see what the switch does, then feed it the 6V on the pins indicated for the LEDs and then play with the switch more to see what turns them on/off. Looks like I will be getting some of these. : )

there is circuit diagram to explain how it works in the lower right corner of the ad. it will not work with the controllers that come with the bike. you will need a separate 12V DC-Dc converter to power the led and it will drain the battery to keep the led lit all the time.

It says that the lamp is rated at 6v, although the schematic shows it as 12v. Whatever it is, you can't use it with your bike's voltage. If you have the throttle with LEDs and switch or even just LEDs, I can show you how to wire that up to do what you want.

I think I can drive the LED light from one of the other wires on the controller- maybe one of the wires that goes to the LED Display on the handlebars. Or maybe step down the 44v current with a resistor (my brother-in-law who is a ME suggested this... but also said he failed circuits!).

From GreenBikeKit (LED Meter Display for electric bicycle):
Voltage----24V or 36V
Red wire ------ Battery -
Black wire ------ Battery +
Yellow wire------ PAS Singnal
White wire------ The singnal port of Thumb Level Throttle or Twist Grip Throttle
Green wire-----The output of throttle signal

My remaining question is can the on/off part of the switch handle work. Any help is appreciated!

You can still use your switch without the light. The throttle LEDs work off battery voltage, so you only have to find the wire to them (normally next to the thottle connector) and connect it to the controller side of the switch along with the controller wire, so when the switch is on, the LEDs come on with the controller, and go off with it. If you have a throttle switch, you can use that instead of a separate switch.

I looked at this kind of switch before deciding on a 3 way key switch with the key removable in all positions. It gives the choice of off, on, and on with the motor locked (direct drive) and also the possibility of alarm too (it is 2 pole).
btw you can get different diameters of those switches shown, down to 12mm which is easier for standard home drills.

I'm going to try and install it this weekend. I finally figured out the schematics with help from this thread, the internet and friends.

I like the key idea though. Where did you get it?

Back