Help with Cycle Analyst negative readings

BVH

1 kW
I've checked my CA stand-alone version installation at least a dozen times and it is installed as per the directions. The wires on the "controller" end of the shunt go to the Kelly controller battery input terminals. The wires on the "battery" end of the shunt go to the Lipo's thru my Kilovac relay (and protective Schottkey diodes) Polarity is correct. Yet, All of my Watt and Amp readings are negative. The Voltage readings are correct. I don't have Regen, yet the CA shows regen taking place - another indication of reverse flow. The other symptom is that on the first screen, the lower left field I have set to show Watts being used. The display of Watts is negative as I increase load but it seems to be an accurate number (even though it's negative) but after about 4 or 5 minutes, it will not display anything but 0 - 3 negative Watts no matter how much load. If I reboot the CA, it will again show negative Watts and will revert back to 0 again. This is the newer CA with improved mount, I just purchased it. Everything is telling me I've got it installed backwards but the markings on the shut say otherwise. This is the stand-alone version so I am assuming the external shunt is properly calibrated to the head unit out of the box.

Try two seperate things with your CA.

#1 - do a "Full Reset" per instructions on page 9 section 5.2 of the manual.
#2 - do a "Zero Amps" per instructions on page 15 section 8.4

after those 2 if there are still problems check the values entered for the range mode (section 8.1) and the Rshunt Value (section 8.3) are correct for your shunt resistor.

rick

Thank you! I will give these a try. I paged thru these pages earlier trying to investigate easy fixes but did not change anything except I did Zero the Amps to no effect. I saw the Rshunt value being displayed as something close to 1.242 mOhm. (mOhm is Mega Ohm, correct, not MilliOhm?) It's been a long time....can I measure the value of my resistor while it's hooked into the circuitry? If so, is the resistor in the negative cable or positive cable of the shunt? Also, it is set on the Low Mode of Range Mode which agrees with what the manual says with regard what my RShunt value is set to from the factory. But I'll measure the value to be sure it's correct.

I have also noticed that the button if exceptionally "touchy" in that many times when I press it to make settings, it skips numbers, like when I'm setting the tire circumference, it easily jumps from a 1 to a 3, skipping 2 etc, etc. It seems better if I don't push it in all the way, but still not reliable. It's kind of a pain to have to go all the way back to shutting the system down and re-starting it to get into the setup mode.

Rick, you've been exceptional helpful to me in answering the multitude of questions I've asked over the last few months! Thank you!!

I have negative readings with my CA. But yet its set perfectly in synce with my Watts Up Meter. It has something to do with heating of the controller and how it changes the resistance of the sense wire. Someone said their might be some induction going on in the sense wire.

My controller would read normal at idle. After riding a while it would read -W as if it were regen. As the controller cools it will slowly shift back to +W

it is indeed in milli-ohms like in 0.001 ohms. the strock shunts are usually in the range of 1.3 milli-ohm.

the shunt is in the (-) wire. tough to measure this accuratetly without proper equipment.

just for a test reverse the connections. plug the controller into the battery side of the shunt and vise a versa. does it read amps correctly now?

now armed with all of this info - either call or email ebikes.ca. they may have better advice.

rick

I reversed the shunt in the circuit and all Watt and Amp readings are now positive and the unit seems to be working normally. I don't really care if I have to run it this way as long as it really is functioning properly in all other respects. I sent off an email to them. Thanks again!

Ebikes answered very quickly! I really appreciate companies that respond quickly via email. Turns out there was a small batch of CA's that had two wires reverse soldered on the PCB. The shunt is completely symmetrical and I already put it back in the circuit backwards so Ebikes said it will work completely normal in this fashion. Or I could have opened the head and re-soldered the wires correctly.

i'd just leave it just the way it is.

great thing about ebikes.ca is that the support is great. even when i ask some really dumb questions occasionally... i'm a big fan of Justin and his group over there.

rick

Back