Hi power cycles HPC XC-1 EXTREME Electric Full Suspension

Rodney64

100 kW
Can anyone tell me any info on this bike. HPC XC-1 EXTREME Electric Full Suspension Mountain Bike with a 4000 watt motor 78 volt system with lipo batteries. On the web site they say the bike will do 44 miles an hour with a range of 44 miles.

By the specs, it's too powerful to be a bicycle, hence not street legal without a license and insurnce.

Just ride it conservatively when around others and you will be fine

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Here is my XC-1 but with the 52v and a few changes. Just take off the "OFF-ROAD USE ONLY " Sticker they put on there and ride safe on the pavement.
(I just noticed if you click on the pic, it enlarges it and becomes more clear.)

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 6,068
Stay away. They overpower their products to the point of unreliability. The range claims are exaggerations by many multitudes. Seen too many people come here frustrated as to why their hi-power cycles bike keeps breaking.

( 2500w on a BMC/MAC motor? let's see what happens after the user tries to climb a super steep hill continuously for many miles... poof!)

( 25 miles of range on 10AH / 52v at a top speed of 40mph? lol.. try more like 10 miles or less.. )

Also, markups on many things are often double over retail price.

You will have much better results, and spend around half the $ building your own.

I think I'll stick with my $600 bike that performs about the same as their $5000 bike.

Yah no kidding.. Built something equivalent here in a hardtail with 3 times the battery for around $1,300..

I run my MAC at 2300w tops.. and understand that i am pushing it. BMC motors may take a smidge more power, but you know what? these were designed as 500w-1000w continuous motors.. if i had bought one of these tuned to 2500w from the factory, i'd be blowing them left and right, wondering why they keep dying.

Yep, your cool bikes sure makes mine seem like crap.

Attachments

• DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 6,017
richirich1113 said:
Yep, your cool bikes sure makes mine seem like crap.

summer2011.jpg

20AH/57v.. MAC.. torque arms capable of dealing with 7kW.. $1,300.. 2300w peaks.. i'm not saying your bike is crap, just saying you overspent for it pretty massively ( by a factor of 2.5x - 3x ) versus the cost of building your own.

You might want to replace the spinner fork on your bike. In the above picture, i had a spinner fork. It snapped straight in half in a 3mph collision with the back of a car.

forkfailure.jpg

forkfailure_2.jpg

It is really dangerous. I replaced mine with an RST, which is actually quite a bit stronger. Amazing that it is better.. considering that the RST is a ~$100 fork that is basically considered a piece of junk.

Yes, i have to admit HPC prices are high. The thing is i paid alot less than their advertized price. With that kind of money- cash talks. You cant blame them for trying. Its kinda like going to the car dealership and paying sticker price.

I got mine with an HS3540 , there geared motors are just an option. There claims on speed are really not that exagerated. They just dont say that to get 30-40 miles with the 52-78v batteries that you need to be doing 20mph.Its not impossible. If you use the ebike simulator at 60% throttle, the figures are really not that far off. Like you know , it all depends on the riders weight, tires, wind , and grade.

Also the KHS 104 bike is close to $1300 by itself

Even though i have made some mods to it since i bought it (drbass torque arms- which there are pictures of in his thread)(and yes i have learnd alot here- thanks endless-sphere) I have no problems with what i got from them.

If a person has no knowledge and does not want to mess with all the trial and error- HPC is a good option. I did do alot of research on pre-built electric bikes, most are from $2000-$2500 for a way under- powered 20mph legal bike. I would not have been happy with such.

I really don't get the HPC hate on this site. I've dealt with them and they are really nice guys who have been nothing but responsive and helpful. Yes, their advertised specs are maximum and not continuous usage, and they will explain those details when you chat with them.

The lifepo version of the bike the OP mentioned is $2929 here on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-HPC-XC...tain_Bikes&hash=item1c22ec8902#ht_2498wt_1163.
They'd probably knock the price down if you asked nicely, and especially if you went there in person.

For all you saying their pricing is way too high, please at least refer the original poster to a similar pre-built full suspension single track ready bike with for significantly lower price.

I get that you could build it yourself for a lot less, especially if you bought a used bike. But not everybody is a bike mechanic, solderer, electronics engineer, welder, wheel lacer, etc etc etc all in one with the capability of building their own bike. I went that route as someone with zero previous bike knowledge and it was way more effort than I expected. Some people just want a bike that works, and I feel like dogging people in this category is not exactly productive.

Consider the forum you're on.
Most of us are builders. We know the real cost of putting an eBike together.

I didn't know crap about electronics when i got here ( still it's fuzzy ), don't know how to weld, don't have a machine shop, never laced a rim or welded, and learning how to turn an allen wrench was not hard, nor is soldering :). I live in an apartment, always have, and that's about it!

You know the #1 reason i don't like HPC?
They are not honest.
On their site, in their sales, or other promotions, there are all sorts of specs that don't make sense or fit together.. they have made wild claims about performance/efficiency/range that are not true in the past, and when called on their bullshit, pretty much every time except once they have stayed quiet and not addressed the issue.

Looks like they've stopped setting their BMC motors up for failure lately, but i did read about someone blowing 3 motors and 2 controllers from them recently. After finding out that HPC had sold someone a setup that was pumping >3000w into the motor, it made sense to me, but it didn't make sense to the buyer... and the buyer had to pay for all the replacement parts. Having been in business so long, they should know better!

And by the way, if you are climbing hills ( as someone on a mountain biking journey will do! ) you are gonna draw that peak power continuously.

In this case you don't get what you pay for. What i see on their site is basically poorly done, overpowered forum builds with maybe 1 or 2 custom parts.. It can be done better.

Its just best to stay away from Hi-PowerCycle (http://hi-powercycles.com/) , Dont get Ripped off.
Much better to buy your own bike and kit. Just poor quality control and over spec'ed components.
ebikes.ca is a better source. Much better, they are 100% honest and educational

Okay , lets see what it would cost to build my bike- parts from different vendors

KHS Xc-104 $1300
HS3540 laced in rim $ 400
Crystalyte 36-72v 45 amp cnt.c $ 200
Half twist throttle $ 15
Ca $ 120
Hookworm tires and tubes $ 100
Batteries and charger/harness $ 800
Frame bag $ 80
total [$3015]
This total does not even include all shipping. And sure , youll say "but lipo is cheaper" and yes its true but some people would not be feel safe charging in there house or the knowlege to set the whole thing up to begin with.

I paid less than this shipped to my door. So i dont really get the " you can build it cheaper" thing, unless your just building from crap or used stuff.

Allright, you asked for it :)

Here's how i did mine:

Used Trek 4300 - $160
Various parts - $40
Custom torque plates ( you didn't factor this in ) - $50
MAC motor kit with 12FET controller, throttle - $400
FalconEV bag - $45
Turnigy watt meter - $25

Total so far, shipped: $720.

Battery cost:
Ping: $533, maybe $700 shipped for a 15AH 48v - total would be $1,420
Lipo: 57v/10AH - $270 shipped, total would be $990, if you need charging equipment, add $200 for a total of $1190.

Now i am comparing a used hardtail to a new full suspension bike, which is not fair.

However, as you can see i have quite a bit extra $ to play around with and spend more money on the bike.

The khs is definitely not a 1200 dollar bike. KHS bikes use to be all over ebay...i dont see them now, in fact i dont see them anywhere.

But a year or two ago you could get one online for around 400 shipped so that about what hpc is paying, probably less.

i know the hpc line well, i owned both a 104 and a 204, sold them to neighbors. I went through 3 motors running the bmc's at what hpc said they could be run at.

However, hpc was great about warranty replacements etc. and picking up the phone.

I can say the components on the 104 are pretty jankey. THe shifting is pretty sloppy and the brakes are of low quality. The suspension looks great but does not work so well. It is not a 1200 dollar bike although it looks nice. I found the 204 to be a fairly big upgrade, and upgrading to a used high quality down hill mountain bike that did cost me 1500 used being a huge upgrade...real top grade components make a huge difference..especially in brakes (mine came with juicy 7 hydraulics) and suspension. Shifting doesn't make that big of a difference because you don't use it that much on a electric bike, but the khs 104 is such a jankey shifting system i would just get rid of it and go single speed.

Also you are paying too much on your list for just about every other component.

richirich1113 said:
Okay , lets see what it would cost to build my bike- parts from different vendors

KHS Xc-104 $1300
HS3540 laced in rim $ 400
Crystalyte 36-72v 45 amp cnt.c $ 200
Half twist throttle $ 15
Ca $ 120
Hookworm tires and tubes $ 100
Batteries and charger/harness $ 800
Frame bag $ 80
total [$3015]
This total does not even include all shipping. And sure , youll say "but lipo is cheaper" and yes its true but some people would not be feel safe charging in there house or the knowlege to set the whole thing up to begin with.

I paid less than this shipped to my door. So i dont really get the " you can build it cheaper" thing, unless your just building from crap or used stuff.

Sure Grren machine, Heres the link to KHS website http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_xc_race_a.htm
The prices sure have seem to have gone up since you bought one. The prices i posted are the prices that are listed from vendors that have been said to be reputable on this forum. I cannot go to any local bike shop to get anything where i live. Everything has to be bought online. So shipping and wait time is a killer. The problems you say you had with your bike, i do not have a problem with mine.

I really wish that when someone try's to bash are talk down anything that someone else has that they actually post a picture of what they have that is better.Or whatever they have that is supposed to impress. How hard is to post a pic or a link to your build so all can see??
I post pics' of my bike when i have something to say. Sitting behind a computer typing BS does not impress me.

Sorry, thats not entirely true, NEPTRONIX posted pic of his bike. Thanks neptronix.
edit- i just saw your post. The costs are not that much different if you started with the same cost of the bike. I had not added the DRBass torque arms since i added them later. After installing them, i do not think there is a better solution.

GCinDC said:
richirich1113 said:
Here is my XC-1 but with the 52v and a few changes...
what's the wormclamp on the quick release for? antitheft?

Yes the clamp just there for alittle anti-theft

neptronix said:
Consider the forum you're on.
Most of us are builders. We know the real cost of putting an eBike together.
On a forum that universally hates snobbery from traditional bikers, I find that snobbery towards prebuilt e-bikes to be unfortunate. In the end we all just wanna have fun on ebikes, if someone wants to spend a couple hundred more having someone else build it I don't see the problem. In fact I'd encourage it cuz that gets more people on ebikes, which is a good thing in my book. Someone like mom is not gonna build her own E-Bike, pre-built is the way to go.
neptronix said:
You know the #1 reason i don't like HPC?
They are not honest.
On their site, in their sales, or other promotions, there are all sorts of specs that don't make sense or fit together.. they have made wild claims about performance/efficiency/range that are not true in the past, and when called on their bullshit, pretty much every time except once they have stayed quiet and not addressed the issue.

I haven't really seen these overly wild claims and dishonesty from them, but that may be because I've only been into the ebike thing for about 6 months. For me they've been helpful and their recent posts on the forum have all been pretty informative despite the people's knee jerk reaction of telling people what a ripoff they are. I have seen zero claims of bad warranty service like your describing. Maybe they've improved recently, I dunno, but if you've had bad experiences in the past I can totally see where you're coming from.

As for the ripoff claim, I'm still not buying it. Richirich has detailed how much it would roughly cost to build his bike, though I could probably get the bike for a bit less, and I'd say his custom motor that is custom laced to a XC rim is worth a bit more. From the ebay ad I posted, subtracting ebay fees, they are probably getting around $2600. Since they are building their own bike in their own shop and offer some warranty service, this is incredibly reasonable pricing, not a ripoff in the slightest. Especially considering that there doesn't seem to be anywhere else you can get a similar pre-built bike for that cheap.

MSRP and what something actually sells for at retail are two different things entirely.

http://www.wrightexercise.com/khs-xc104-p-1335.html

I found the low end model for $850. This is the only KHS dealer i could possibly find.
Sorry to nitpick, just pointing out a fact :mrgreen:

I think used bikes are really optimal for the job. You're going to throw away the rear wheel ( which is probably bent anyway ) on a mountain bike. Throw away the front deraileur, and crankset too since you'll need a bigger chainring to pedal at speed. Then you'll probably upgrade the brakes, then the fork to deal with higher speeds. All said components are usually quite worn, making the MTB "not worth fixing" to the owner, so they put it up on craigslist for 1/4th the price they paid new..

keysersoze310 said:
On a forum that universally hates snobbery from traditional bikers, I find that snobbery towards prebuilt e-bikes to be unfortunate.

Sorry :mrgreen: I guess i hate seeing people spend 2-3x what i spent building my bike, then come crying for free tech support on the forums.. they've both been ripped off and dumped on us when they coulda built their own for less and had a better result. Honestly baffles my mind to see it. That is why i am dedicated to helping people build. They are always better off.

I've seen more than a few people come here for help after their overpowered BMC setup kept blowing $400 motors.

Good thing they went to the Crystalyte HS/HT.
Still overpriced compared to a home build, but less overpowered and unreliable now :lol:

If you'd been on this forum longer, you'd have seen many examples of high expectation claims made by various vendors for their "latests new whatever". Later on, real world testing shows they overpowered the motor, and less careful customers melt stuff or break clutches, or whatever.

We remember this stuff, and which vendors the stuff came from. Sure, we do the same overpowered thing to our bikes, but we aren't selling it to you. We know the risk when we do it. A customer doesn't know better.

Where does everyone purchase your motors and batteries from. I'd prefer to get a 51 volt battery with an inbuilt management system. I'm in western Australia and we do not have ebike shops in Perth. I would need to buy it all online

My only real problem is that they call themselves High Powered Cycles, but they don't have any high powered ebikes.

Back