High no-load current with MAC (Puma) motor

Russell

1 MW
Was wondering if anyone has had a problem with unduly high current with a MAC motor? I bought a 500W MAC about a year ago from Cell_man but only just dusted it off to check it out. I have the bare motor set in the dropouts of a bike and hooked up each of the 3 controllers I have, one at a time of course. In each case I can get the motor to run smoothly however the current is quite high. As I give it throttle the current rises at an even but higher level than I'm used to but then at around 3/4 throttle the pitch changes and the current rises sharply until I'm reading 8 or more amps from the battery. This is with a half depleted 12S LiPo pack at 47V. In contrast my high speed Bafang draws just 1.1A at 34mph no-load (47V). I believe I've tried all phase/hall combinations and the problem exists whether I run it sensorless or sensored. Is there a controller that works best with the MAC in the 48V/25A range?

-R

Cell_man thinks it may just be my controllers can't fire the 8-pole motor properly at high speed. It's going back on the shelf until I either buy a 36V battery, a compatible controller or sell it.

-R

Normal MAC no-load speed for 38v is about 3 amps.

On his controllers, i've noticed that yellow and blue phases are usually reversed. maybe that's a hint for you.

But i'll tell ya this - nothing performs so well with the MAC than his newer controllers.

DAND214 said:
It sounds like a false positive on the phase/hall combination.
I had the same thing on a CUTE 128. I thought the hub was going to explode as high as it was spinning. High amps too.
Switched around the wiring and it's fine.

If your gonna sell it let me know.

Dan

Hey make me an offer :) It's a bare 500W rear, grey in color.

-R

Russell said:
Cell_man thinks it may just be my controllers can't fire the 8-pole motor properly at high speed. It's going back on the shelf until I either buy a 36V battery, a compatible controller or sell it.

-R

I ended up purchasing a KU93 "high speed" controller from BMSBattery ($19+s/h) which works fine with the motor.

-R

Back