Hitch-mounted bike carrier for 150 lb of ebikes

I had no idea it would be this hard to carry one EZIP Trailz! After looking at and then abandoning the idea of using a trunk-mount rack on the old Camry, I settled on a Hidden Class I hitch on the new (leased) Prius, and a SportRack 2EZ - 2 Bike Rack Platform Style for 1-1/4" Hitch ,# A30901. I chose this rack because it has a 90lb weight rating. There was no 'per bike" rating when I ordered it, but now the site I ordered it from says the rating is 45lbs per bike. My EZIP will weigh about 52lbs with the pack off and the accessories on. It looks to me like the weak areas on the racks - the things that lower the max rating to a per-bike rating - is the wheel hoops, with their plastic adjusting knobs, and in some cases thin steel (the rack I ordered has robust-looking hoops). So my plan is to replace the knobs on the hoops I'll be using with solid steel nuts with large washers. Do you folks think this, along with maybe running tie-down straps from the hoops to the upper frame of the rack for extra support, will allow me to safely carry my 52lb Trailz?

BTW, if you ever have to install a Hidden Hitch on a prius, keep in mind that the bolts they provide are too short for older, better-made sockets. It took me 15 minutes of cursing to realize why the damned things weren't starting in the holes. I ended up using a trick that one review had mentioned (and I hadn't understood at the time); dropping a fairly large nut into the bottom of the socket, to act as a spacer.

This site can be remarkably unhelpful. Anyway, I haven't tried it out yet, but I think I found a solution to the Sportrack's just-shy weight limit by using the second set of wheel hoops, mounted the opposite way, underneath the first set. The upper hoops will still take most of the weight, but the lower set, properly positioned, should take at least a quarter or third of it.

Well, I stopped looking at this thread myself. Bet others did too, It's a thread from 4 years ago.

Likely there is a steel bolt inside the plastic knobs, the plastic on my swagman rack is just a plastic "wing nut" adapter so you don't need a wrench. 4 years later, they are starting to finally break off.

I wouldn't sweat putting 100 pounds per bike on that rack. I bungee the tires to the hoops on the longer trips.

The problem is that the hoop mounts consist of very thin metal wrapped around rubber or plastic. I was going to replace the knobs with bolts, but that wouldn't strengthen the thin metal holding the hoops on to the crossbar. I think that what I described above is the best approach that involves minimal modification, because it reduces the load on each hoop mount. Strapping with bungees won't help if the mount(s) break, unless you use the bungees to take some of the weight off the wheel supports entirely.

Must be some differences from the swagman rack I have. I have not had anything break on it except the plastic knob that covers the nut on the bolt. Almost 4 years old now.

The rack I got, as noted above is the SportRack 2EZ, not the Swagman. It has a higher rated weight (90lbs), and at the time I ordered it, there was no 'per bike' weight limit in the description.

Near as I can tell from the pics when I looked up the EZ sportrack, the hoops are held by bolts just like on the swagman. They just have plastic handles to tighten the nut.

Looks like a close copy of the swagman, or vice versa. Should hold e-bikes fine, provided you aren't having a tizzy over the hitch.

The hoops are held on by clamps that are tightened by bolts. The clamps consist of thin strips of metal wrapped around rubber gripping blocks. The strips of metal are about as thick as two pieces of thick bond paper stacked - roughly the thickness of the cardboard used for cereal boxes. Those strips of metal are thus what determines the weight limit for each bike. No structure is stronger than its weakest support.

It's been 7 years since I last posted on this subject and *still* we have nothing like these in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WTCf835Frk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJNbI_N0oig

If Grandma and Grandpa can do it, it must be easy!

4REEE said:
It's been 7 years ...
You had a dream about bike racks last night?

I have a rule when building something: KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple)

This one is 1-1-1. ‘one hundred minutes, one hundred dollars, one hundred Kg’ 8)

featured.jpg

Part of why I just bought the big van. Holds a dirt bike, e bike, and pedal bike inside with ease. and can carry a couple kyacks on top. And then tows a small house to 9,000 feet, where I can breathe again. Allergic to nothing at that height.

dogman dan said:
Part of why I just bought the big van. Holds a dirt bike, e bike, and pedal bike inside with ease. and can carry a couple kyacks on top. And then tows a small house to 9,000 feet, where I can breathe again. Allergic to nothing at that height.
Not much use for the kayacks at 9000ft though :D

The air is nowhere better than up the mountains, as long as you don’t climb high enough to need it in a bottle. :wink:

@MadRhino: That's one tough, indestructible platform! Doubtful, though, that GrandMa or GrandPa could load their ebike onto it.

@MadRhino: I saw a very elderly couple riding their ebikes across Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, BC. They don't carry their bikes on a vehicle. They ride from home. They mentioned that they would love to ride elsewhere but can't transport their ebikes. Fortunately, there's lots to see in Vancouver.

It looks like Saris may be the first in the US with an electric bike rack!

https://www.saris.com/product/door-county

Will have to see reviews on it, especially with that $1200 price tag! Whooo, Hooo!

The specs on Saris' rack will not meet the OP's requirements, though.

Sounds expensive, but not to those who hang it on a $250,000 Diesel motor coach. Or the car it tows.

Re the old post about kayaking at 9000 feet altitude, this is the rocky mountains. Lots of cool lakes at 7000 to 9000 feet you can drive to. Its quite dry down lower in NM. Some places that used to be lakes. Lots of shit don't work anymore on this old body, but the heart and lungs are still good. Knees, shoulders, and back not so much. In retirement, I spend as much of june and july above 9000 feet as I can. Feels really great when I come back down to 4000 feet for a few days.

Replaced the van with a truck which tows my trailer better last year. But in many ways nothing beat that extra long van for carrying bikes. Locked inside and all that.

Back