hooray parajared is no longer a lard butt!

parajared

10 kW
I started e-biking to work in March 2012. I just did my annual physical and since my last visit in July 2012 I have lost 28 pounds, my bad (LDL) cholesterol has dropped 30 points, my heart rate is now in the mid 50s (from the 80s) and my blood pressure is looking great.

That’s right Subway Jared, there’s a new Jared on the block!

That rocks!
Very tangible benefits of time in the saddle... even with a throttle involved :wink:
Did you make any other major lifestyle changes (push away from the table, lay off the sauce,
give up smokes, etc), or is it really just mainly the riding?

No other real changes,
I still eat fairly lousy, I have never smoked, I just love trail riding the single the tracks trails out here in AZ that you can't ride a dirtbike on, and I find the sensation of riding 3" off the ground on my tadpole trike to be quite a thrilling.

My Honda dirtbike and car aren't getting used very often.

Rocks dude! :D

My situation is the opposite. Got sick, can't ride 30 miles a day, or work anymore. In a year my weight went up 20 pounds, and I had bad blood numbers for the first time in my life.

A change in diet saved me from a slow death, I now have some energy, and do a 3 mile trail ride with the dog every day, and dropped 30 pounds. On a good day, I can ride 20 miles, but I'll pay for it for the next few days. We'll see in a few more months if the diet helped the blood fat. I suspect it did, since I lost 30 pounds in a few months.

If you can't ride much, then you have to do something with the diet. I'm on the paleo diet, and yes, I'm ravenous all day. I get sore jaws from chewing all the rabbit food up. :lol: Damn I miss tortillas and ice cream. But it was make the change or die, so.....

Anyway, the point of the ramble, is RIDE BROTHERS RIDE! Otherwise you go on the no pizza no enchiladas, no bread in your sandwich diet. God, I'd kill for a low fat subway hoagie. I'd get to have bread.

dogman said:
Anyway, the point of the ramble, is RIDE BROTHERS RIDE!

I am the living proof of that.
I'll be 66 tomorrow.
Been riding all my life: Horses and bikes and women (not in that specific order :wink: ).
Never got sick other than a cold once in a while, seen doctors only for broken bones and stitches.
Still wearing the same size of clothes and belt as when i was 25.
Still riding, still got the abs ripped, looking the age of my first son.

Awesome. My health was very good till that damn mosquito gave me west nile virus. I had already gotten lymes disease at some point before that, and was tolerating it good enough to be unaware I was sick. But having both at the same time just ripped me to shreds.

Before the fitness wore off from the chronic fatigue and weakness, they sent me to get the dreaded heart treadmill test. After about 15 min at the max level effort, I was still chattering away with the nurses, who by then were looking at me like this :shock: . Then the doc came in and asked what the hell I was doing in his office, wasting his time.

That's what 3 years of commuting 15 miles one way to work had done for me. I was doing lots of trail riding up mountains, not needing or wanting a motor at the time. The wife was really enjoying the great stamina, nudge nudge wink wink.

Ride on, till you can't. I'm so pissed off it's over for me, except for short rides.

Cut back on sugar, and try to cut out carbs after lunch. You need carbs for energy, but any excess carbs above what your body burns for energy is stored in the form of fat for later use. I recommend you graze/nibble on carbs often up until a little after lunch, and then anything after mid-afternoon you can eat non-carb veggies and all the lean meat you want.

Do this, and you never need to be hungry, while still making it easy to keep the fat off. Exercise is always good, but it is physically possible to eat more calories than you burn off, so fat reduction ia all about controlling what you eat. My co-workers are amazed that I am eating almost all the time, and I don't put on any weight.

Stay active, ebikes are awesome.

Still a lard butt, but E-biking has made my knees artritis totally painless 24/7. They used to hurt quite a lot. I guess it"s this lots of cadence but without full torque. Good for knees.
We rode 122km today thru countryside :) Day was as hot as it can get around here, +28C. Beautiful. Bike"s working like a dream now.
Here"s one interesting pic for you. We met this guy on middle of nowhere bridge, who was doing jumps basicly alone with his self-made benji-type-rope, attached to that bridge.
There was no cranes or anything. I think his friend somehow let him down to the ground after the jump. We did ask him was his insurance paid :)

Attachments

• Summer ride 012.jpg
    Summer ride 012.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 584
  • Summer ride 005.jpg
    Summer ride 005.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 584
  • Summer ride 010.jpg
    Summer ride 010.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 584
loL @lard butt

At 40 I'm still waiting for the day I can make my "comeback" harhar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I rode some fantastic new trails I'd never been too yesterday. Always noice. :twisted:

God help me. Same group of riders that i rode with last weekend are now planning to do 140km tour next saturday.

http://www.satasenkuntoajo.fi/reitti/

I mean, these people are hardened sport riders and i got only two 10Ah/48V-packs and my trusted cruiser :wink:
This is getting serious. I have earned few nice nicknames from them on our rides, like "barn" :) They very much like to ride on my tail though, good vacuum.
Two 10Ah/48V-packs will juuuussst about make it, 140km, if i ride reeeeaally lightly on throttle, meaning, pedal a lot.
No bloody way i would have even considered doing these kind of rides without E-bike.
Summer is over soon, so..

ha good news mate!

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who's interested... after seeing a doco on the subject I've now been on a intermittent fasting 'diet' for about 2 mnts. basically you have 2-3 days per week (ive been doing 3) where you restrict yourself to no more than 600 cals. on the other days, you can eat (within reason) whatever you want. the guy on the show found he'd dropped from mid 20's to mid teens in body fat in just a few weeks, and his bloods and other vitals had improved considerably.

I've lost about 8kg to date (still want to drop another 3-5, or replace it with more muscle...), and this is while doing NO exercise (been far to busy with uni and exams!) and deliberately eating lots on the non fasting days, as the doctors being interviewed on the doco said that you can literally eat what you want, so i wanted to test if it'd still work. I get in plenty of salad and veggies, but otherwise its bacon and egg breakies, pizza, burrito's, pies, cakes... whatever takes my fancy. 8kg down and feeling much sharper mentally, and far more energetic. I also usualy have pretty shitty skin, eczema and psoriasis and just generally dry and flaky... all of which has improved massively ever since starting on the diet. All in all its been easy... required bugger all effort, since on your fasting days you've got the reward of a guilt free big breaky the next morning to get you through the day :twisted:. So well worth a shot for anyone else out there who's carrying a few extra kg... I'll probably stay on it permanently, as its hardly a burden anymore (dont get as hungry as I used too) and the side benefits are well worth it. spending notably less on food too!

Some shots of today"s 158km (just short of hundred miles) ride. Drank around a gallon of juices and did not pee at all. Lost two spokes pretty soon after start, fast replace while group waited. Our average speed was 23,1 km/h including all coffee stops (around 1 hour at least). Average without stops i think around 26 km/h. 100 miles is pretty much my limit, started getting dizzy on the end.
These sport riders do these relaxed saturday rides just to watch the scenery.

Attachments

• Lard butt tour 007.jpg
    Lard butt tour 007.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 496
  • Lard butt tour 011.jpg
    Lard butt tour 011.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 496
Back