• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

How big a load do you carry on your ebike?

Mark42

10 W
I have two rigid side bags (pvc molded cheap motor cycle bags) and on top of the side bags I have a very big carry bag attached with Velcro tapes to the rear carrier. There must be at least 60 lbs or more when I go food shopping. Add that to the back pack on my back, and that pushes it up to about 80 lbs or more over what the bike was designed to carry. I am afraid that the load will cause the "drop outs" in the rear to fail. The bike (aka Huffy mountain bike frame) are much thinner than the drop outs in other steel bikes I have from the the '70's . I worry when hitting speeds over 20 mph that this bike will collectively stay together with my 190lbs fat ass and the loaded carry bags. Battery is another weight. Things get scary going over 20 mph, and I have a motorcycle license. But then again, driving motor cycles thatdddeighs between 300 lbs and 2K lbs depending on which bike I choose to ride. I like riding the ebike at low speeds to get cold cuts, or hardware, or any other trip I would do that is less than 8 miles away. LOL! This thing is fun!

That's a pretty valid concern. Cheap frames snap and crack all the time. I have a trailer that I can hitch to my bike when going for groceries or heavy loads. That takes a lot of weight off the rear wheel and it rides much better and feels safer.

Trailers are ok...
but trikes WIN

Attachments

• front porch in kitform.jpg
    front porch in kitform.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,818
All I carry on mine is me, but that's 270 lbs. I've had the Mongoose Ledge airborne at 61 mph going DH and it held together. I have no idea what weight it's rated for, but with the wheels I have on it I don't worry about it. I've never had the Dolomite over 40 mph, but it's rated for 300 lbs with the stock wheels. Both have 12G spokes all around with these rims on the Ledge.
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/DOWNHILL/DH39.htm
And this rim on the rear wheel of the Dolomite.
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/CHOPPER/DHL101.htm

I'm not so sure about that. I have a trailer that I built which is good for at least 400 lbs-- proven. It can be towed by a sporting bike at that weight, as long as the load is balanced over the trailer axle. A lot of (maybe most) granny trikes would founder under that weight.

IMG_20150617_151013.jpg
Pedicab trikes, of course, do win such a contest. But they typically weigh 200 pounds or so.

Chalo said:
I'm not so sure about that. I have a trailer that I built which is good for at least 400 lbs-- proven. It can be towed by a sporting bike at that weight, as long as the load is balanced over the trailer axle. A lot of (maybe most) granny trikes would founder under that weight.

Pedicab trikes, of course, do win such a contest. But they typically weigh 200 pounds or so.
the trike with the load is built from standard trike components.
I'm not as proud of my weight as you two fellas, but, unloaded, with me on the trike it weighs in @ 400 pounds. (local truck scale reads 450 pounds)
i carried that load for 6 miles from the lumber yard; with the wet wood, several 'new' tools, me and extra batteries I estimated the weight @ well over 800 pounds.
I've never carried that much stuff since, but I regularly carry 50-100 extra pounds of 'stuff' on that trike.
I'll note I've also used trailers, since given away as I no longer needed them.

Bike needs a trailer.
trikes win.
:lol:

I am not sure that my present stuff would be relevant to the thread, because it's all custom built (and/or rebuilt) for the purpose of carrying heavy (multi-hundred-pound) loads and/or dogs, but some of my older bikes, mostly pedal-only, also carried such loads without breaking apart...with one exception:

a Murray "biotech" BSO whose rear wheel was pulled out of the dropouts by a pothole, with mostly just me on it. :/ At that time I knew nothing about fixing or maintaining bikes, even though I rode them as my primary transport, so it could've been something preventable; I dunno. I don't rememember any of the details except it was too badly damaged to deal with on a roadside repair and I caught a ride home from a passerby in a truck.

Also, my alloy frame DayGlo Avenger has cracked seatstays, probably from the weight of cargo on the back wiggling around from pedalling forces, along with the asymmetrical setup of that cargo carrying rack/pod.

I *have* broken some of my bikes, even the custom stuff like CrazyBike2, possibly from weight but more likely from poor design choices. :oops:

A good starting point would be an inexpensive light trailer similar to a bob trailer. You can find them on Amazon for only 80 bucks.

I use one currently with my cruiser. It holds a half a cart of groceries easy, without being hard to handle. the price is nice, even if I sometimes do end up making two trips to the store to carry everything I need that week.

Aosom trailer.jpg

But later on, to carry a really huge load, look at lots of improvements starting with the bike. Especially if you get a welder, your only limit would be your imagination. But even without a welder, you might get some kind of longer bike to carry more cargo better. Even repurposed old tandems can make a great cargo carrier. Or, if you can eventually scratch up the funds, get a real cargo bike frame.

I carry a passenger sometimes, 100 Lbs GF.
That is making us 350 Lbs total, bike and extra battery included.
Not much load compared to previous posts, but still hitting 100 Kmh pretty quick. 8)
Normally, I ride 240 Lbs total weight

I once carried 30 kg on the rack of my Surly Cross Check. It was awful, like riding a wet noodle. I don't understand how people can stand riding around with their kid on the back.

I use an Aosom trailer - it removes the weight from the bike.
5664-0005y-3noborder.jpg

Have yet to test the upper limit of weight, but successfully carry grocery loads of 60-70 lbs. I had to replace the original wheels because they were flimsy with a 20-spoke count. Now, steel wheels 36-spoke, good tires & tubes.

John in CR said:
Eskimo,

Why haven't we seen your Velogatti before? Great name, but we want to see all the juicy details. :mrgreen:

Thanks, it"s been here before. It"s very, very simple machine. No high-tech inside. There"s Veloschmitt, so i just thought...why not Velogatti? :)
Here"s my blog about it. It"s in Finnish, but there"s more pics.

http://e-cruiser.blogspot.fi/2015/05/tervehdys-taas.html

What??? How are you people hitting such high speeds? I have a 48v setup with a 1000 watt battery/rear wheel drive and me (190 lbs) alone can only reach 27 mph (43.5 kph). Guess you guys have some serious money invested in high tech motors and batteries????

I vote for Chalo's trailer. Just because its what I would do to haul big loads. But thats just me....

The carrying capacity of hub motors is not published very often. Numbers under 100kg are common though. While bikes are rated at 110kg with alarming regularity. That might be some figure that makes them fit for purpose.

I routinely haul about 50# of groceries on the back of my stoked big dummy and sometimes a case of beer on the front nice rack. My frame bags usually have about 10#. All that plus my 210#. Love the stoke monkey.

I don't have a picture with cargo but I can carry about thirty pounds on the bike in four heavy shopping bags I hang from the bracket just behind the seat and I could carry one hundred or a bit more in the trailer at the same time. I've had sixty five in the trailer and can barely tell it's back there until the road gets rough and it starts bouncing. I weigh two hundred-ish so the total would be 330 lbs or so.

So_Long3.jpg

Me, 240 lbs. Battery on rear rack 25 lbs. Other junk, lock and water around 10 lbs. Destroyed two rear rims when the tire blew at speed, spokes popped like dominoes resulting in spaghetti and the walk of shame. :x Only a $20 fix each time for a new steel generic cheap Chinese rim + $25 tire and $7.99 thorn tube. :)

My current non-suspension steel frame is rated for 250 pounds.
The bike with the battery, racks, basket etc. weights about 65 pounds.
I weight about 150 on a good day ... a bit more sometimes.
I can remember at least one grocery trip that at least 50 pounds because the battery died that trip.
I would say 30-40 pounds i closer to my normal cargo load.
As far as speed is concerned: top speed = 24 MPH (no pedaling), average speed between 18-20 Mph.

Back