How do I know if I got the newer type V2 Clyte Controler?

recumbent

100 kW
I've just purchased the 48volt/35amp Clyte controler a week ago and was wondering if it is the newer (V2 ?) type or not, and what are the advantages & disdadvantages to them.
The controler has 12 screws on the bottom, with two end caps over D.O.M Or seemless square cover.
Also got a new Cycle Analyst to directly hook-up to it.
Looks to me like the 12 semetricaly spaced screws are the mosFETs, and perhaps where the most heat might be, is this true? I haven't hooked it up yet cause I'm still working on the front brakes.

does it have extruded fins on the side? If yes then maybe you do. Older crystalyte controller doesn't have the fin. They're just rectangular box. Hmmm ithink in the crystalyte controller modification and repair thread there are pictures if you'd like to compare.

recumbent said:
I've just purchased the 48volt/35amp Clyte controler a week ago and was wondering if it is the newer (V2 ?) type or not, and what are the advantages & disdadvantages to them.
The controler has 12 screws on the bottom, with two end caps over D.O.M Or seemless square cover.
Also got a new Cycle Analyst to directly hook-up to it.
Looks to me like the 12 semetricaly spaced screws are the mosFETs, and perhaps where the most heat might be, is this true? I haven't hooked it up yet cause I'm still working on the front brakes.

yes those will be the 12 mosfets and where most of the heat comes from. there is one drawback of the new controllers that seems to be they cannot handle very high rpm motors like geared systems. it may be possible to improve the speed by making the firmware more efficient, but i don't know if we will get access to the code. gary is sending me one this week and i am getting a couple of the new puma motors to try and figure out if we can make the combination work properly.

bear in mind that the fastest hub motor is just 400 rpm or so and geared systems can go 20x that fast so i doubt the speed will be an issue with non geared hub motors.

Back