How do you perform this tough soldering job on Cycle A?

parajared

10 kW
The button on my V2 cycle analyst stopped working.
I think I found the problem, but I don't know how to re-do the wires on this. I can not get in to where the circuit board is on the buttons without perhaps cutting into the plastic with my dremel.
I think the easiest way would be to somehow solder into the broken wire, but i have never dealt with a wire like this before.

I remember Amberwolf has changed out buttons on the Cycleanalyst. Perhaps see if his posts are still around on this subject. If I knew anything about a CA I would certainly try to help.
otherDoc

There was a problem with a batch of the switches on the large screen CA2. Mine failed and Justin kindly sent one to me FOC. It's worth contacting him, maybe he'll replace it for you?

When mine failed I could see liquid trapped inside the plastic layers, I split the layers, dried it out, put it all back together and it worked. Justins replacement arrived very quickly-almost as quickly as my temporary fix.

With the scalple hands of a brain surgen, and the soldering skills of a jeweler, and probably no way with a conventional soldering iron. Basicly, its an impracticle solder job.

The best repair would be to solder a new wire from the beginning to end, and bypas that ribbon connector completely. The ribbon is made of 3 strips of copper foil sandwiched between 2 pieces of laminated plastic.

Probably easier to see if Justin can sell you a new one.

You'd need a new switch- the ribbon tracks are the switch contacts with a bit of thin spring steel to make the momentary contact. It's attempt a fix, contact Justin, and/or wire new switches in. The 'try Justin seems easiest, the fix attempt is inexpensive so there seems no reason not to try them.

Back