how many watts is my 3 amp charger?

recumbent

100 kW
We pay .5 cents per kw/hr for electricity and would like to know how much power i'm using when i do opportunity charging.

I've gotten dirty looks at one coffee shop where i charge, and would like to write them a polite letter to let them know how little power we actually use.

I know there's a formula, and this question's been asked before, (but differently)

For every hour i use my 3amp, 110volt charger, at .5 cents per kw/hr, how much does it cost?

I'm not so hot at math, but...

3A * 110V = 330W * 1hr = 330Wh = .33KWh * $.05 = $.0165

About a penny and a half (per hour).

3 x 110 = 330w per hour. So about a nickel for three hours of charging.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think it is this simple...
110vx3a=330w for 1 hour so 1/3rd of a kilowatt for 1 hour would be 1.66666666 cents?

(edit that makes 3 of us with the same answer ;))

Oops, our mistake, you said it was ".5 cents" per kwh. So it's actually $0.001666... per hour. 'course you probably meant "5 cents" :lol:

I'm reminded of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2isSJKntbg

Edit: If you have more time, here's the full length video where he spends almost a half hour trying to explain to two or three different Verizon customer service managers the difference between .002 dollars (what he was billed) and .002 cents (what he was quoted):
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2007/08/original-recording-of-verizon-customer.html

a 3A charger does not use 3A of the 110. it ses 3A at the charging voltage and only during the CC portion of the charge. once you hit the knee point and it switches over to CV then the current tapers back to nothing as the pack reaches full charge.

so let us say you are charging a 48V nominal LiFePO4 pack. the actual voltage out of the charger will be 58 or 59V. at 3A that works out to a peak of 59 (*) 3 = 177W delivered to the battery during the bulk or CC portion or the charge. most swithing supplies arre 80% or better efficiency. so the power into the charger will be 177 (/) .8 = 220W or so. and that is only during the bulk portion of the charge. during the CV or Float part of the charge the current and power will drop until the pack is full.

220W for one hour so just about a penny.

the difference is greater for lower voltage chargers. a 3A 24V charger will only use half of that power.

i guess the point is moot. the easist way to prove it to anyone is to get one of these meters:

P4400__1.jpg

I saw one a couple of weeks ago on sale at a hardware store for $15.00CAD. it plugs in and measures the KWhr of whatever is plugged into it. you can just show them how little it uses. plus it will give an empiical measurement instead of all of these approximations. besides it is usefull to measure how much many other appliances use. you'd be amazed how much an old fashion TV burns in comparison with how little an LCD uses.

rick

julesa said:
Oops, our mistake, you said it was ".5 cents" per kwh. So it's actually $0.001666... per hour. 'course you probably meant "5 cents" :lol:

Yes, I meant 5 cents, and the only mystery charges we have on our bill is "ICE (Innovative Clean Energy levy) 25 cents per month.

Good point "rkosiorek" said about actual power usage, not the marked 3amps after it's processed in the charger from 110volts AC to 59voltsDC to my 48V battery pack.

recumbent said:
For every hour i use my 3amp, 110volt charger, at .5 cents per kw/hr, how much does it cost?

Oh I thought you meant you were charging your batteries at 110V DC, silly me. I've been reading too many of methy's threads.

nutsandvolts,

i just realised that you were in Ontario. if you are interested i'm pretty sure i saw that $15 watt meter at a Princess Auto store. could be wrong though. i went to a lot of places that day. i remember thinking that i should pick one up but i was distracted by some shinier/fancier tool..

rick

yeah I thought about the difference between the charge voltage/current vs the output voltage/current and decided that 1.6 cents and 1.0 cents are negligible :) but it is nice to know recharging an ebike is way way less than 5 cents a pop.

I am certain that I read somewhere ebikes get great mileage but just wanted to think it out right quick. So I spend 1 cent to go 6 miles. If I bought $1 of electricity I could go 600 miles. My jeep costs $50 to go 250 miles. So for $50 on my bike I can go 3000. Time to sell the car :twisted: My numbers seem like low estimates. It is probably more like 1000 miles for a dollar.

Speaking of creating electricity I just found out how bad coal is :( but that is another discussion. We need solar/nuclear now, really bad.

By my killawatt meter, I found my chargers theoretical draw was pretty close to the actual shown on the meter with the actual very slightly more, presumably the heat the charger makes. My rates are about 11.5 cents per kwh including all charges. A full recharge of my 36v 20 ah pack drained to cutoff takes about .8 kwh. In cowboy math, I call it a penny an hour for my 2 amp charger, 2 pennies an hour for the 4 amp charger. Close enough for me to say, hey, I'll put two pennies in the till if it makes you happy for me to charge 1 hour. Of course, ass---s will insist you took a dollar of power. As if, the total capacity of my largish battery is less than a dime.

Btw, I want to move to where power is .5 cents a kwh. I hope it's not .5 dollars :shock: In our lifetimes, it may be.

recumbent said:
I've gotten dirty looks at one coffee shop where i charge, and would like to write them a polite letter to let them know how little power we actually use.

I know there's a formula, and this question's been asked before, (but differently)

some thoughts:

The issue you are trying to addresss, I presume, is that you are a customer at this coffee shop (I hope), and they have some anxiety about the cost of letting you charge your ebike while there. Right?

All of the previous calculations are pretty accurate about the incremental costs you are presenting to the retailer as a customer. But to make things easy, lets say it is between 2 cents and a dime for the longest charge.

Every professional retailer knows that they have to spend some money to get customers to walk in the door, usually called marketing or advertising. some do it by superb customer relations (Nordstroms, Whole Foods) other by print advertising in magazines and newspapers ( Auto manufacturers).

They all would love to have a business model where they only had to pay about a nickel to get a customer in the door. That customer is YOU. (And many of us)

One problem is that managers look at the size of our ebikes and batteries and don't realize we are only consuming about as much energy as two average laptops. And they really court that laptop crowd. Since our ebike is 20 times then size of a laptop, they think 20 times the cost.

(when folks plug their laptops in, they are not only charging the battery, but also running the laptop. we are only charging a battery)

Anyway the date here is accurate. Here in colorado we have had numerous discussions with store owners, some of which have explained the above to me. Some have asked me to tell all my ebike buddies that they get free charging while using their establishment. Some stores here include: Starbucks, Einsteins, Panara, Safeway, Krogers, Walmart, Albertsons, Whole Foods. Just yesterday, at the new store in town Sunflowers (owned and run by the previous Wild Oats group) we were told by the store director we could charge our ebikes INSIDE for additional security.

But it has taken quite a few iterations over 6 years to get my spiel down so that I am not patronizing or condesending, but brief, accurate and informative. I always emphasize that I am a regular customer, tell all my friends what a great store this is, and how smart the people are to support this new way of shopping and travelling.

(I have heard some people's concerns about the risk of letting us charge. Maybe remind people it is the same technology, batteries, and chemistry as in a laptop. And laptops get used on airplanes).

A Customer's money does not come free to retailers. Lights have to be on, Toilets get used and have to be cleaned, condiments and utensils disappear, all in addition the the product sold. So I feel for the retailer.

My approach has been: Make it EASY for the retailer to do what I want them to do for me.

if you are going to write something, make it generic enough to hand to other retailers too.

good luck
d

Don't you guys know about power factors power factorshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor? For AC, you can't just multiply volts times amps to calculate the power - that's just the apparent power. The power factor has to be included to determine the true power.

BTW - Sears sells a killawatt-like gadget that includes power factors (and will display the value). It's a UPM EM130. You can also input the cost per kWh and have it determine the total cost of electricity used. If you bring this along, you could show the staff at the coffee shop the actual cost of your power consumption without too many assumptions about how much of the total rated power is used.

*Update* I bought a "Kilowatt meter" yesterday, I officially use: 11 watts of power while under full load (58volts) with my common 3 amp charger.

Once i figure out how to operate the meter completely, i'll edit in a cost/ hr.

recumbent said:
*Update* I bought a "Kilowatt meter" yesterday, I officially use: 11 watts of power while under full load (58volts) with my common 3 amp charger.

Once i figure out how to operate the meter completely, i'll edit in a cost/ hr.

That doesn't sound right, unless maybe your battery is close to full and the charger's in CV mode?

julesa said:
That doesn't sound right, unless maybe your battery is close to full and the charger's in CV mode?

You doubt my brand new plastic toy?

For comparison, my laptop computer charger uses 9watts, while it was open and operating.

Coffee machine 1120 watts, compact oven/toaster=1300 watts.

48" LCD TV =130watts, 120watt lamp=123watts, large hand-held clothes pile vacuum=6watts

Well, yeah. :) Seemed like rkosiorek's estimate of 220W considered more factors than I did originally, and would have to be pretty close... so if we assume your shiny new toy is accurate and you're only drawing 11 watts, then either your battery isn't very far drained and the charger's only giving it a trickle, OR your charger is charging your batteries at the full 170+ watts it's designed to produce, is the first over-unity device discovered by man, and similar devices will soon be powering interstellar flight. :mrgreen:

recumbent said:
You doubt my brand new plastic toy?

For comparison, my laptop computer charger uses 9watts, while it was open and operating.

most laptop supplies are rated between 50 and 100W at 12 to 20V. my laptop has a powersupply rated 95W @ 15V. and after i have drained the battery it uses 90W. once the battery is charged the power goes down to 12W. it goes up to about 25W when i am using the burner and an external USB powered hard drive.

rick

Okay, now you guys got me wondering.

Checked my laptop charger and said it's output is 18.5v and 65 watts :shock:

When I checked the wattage with the meter, both laptop and ebike batteries were low and charging, yet the chargers only consumed 9 and 11 watts respectivly.

For all I know thier could be a difference from AC and DC watts, but don't think so, I'm just tellin what i see, definately not making up the numbers.
Even the small 9v charger for my clothes pile vacuum is only 6 watts. I'll double check tommorrow.
The only thing I can think i'm doing wrong is reading amps instead of watts, but i was carefull. Will double check tommorrow.

Watts, or killowat hours? A full charge on my 36v 20 ah ping uses about .7 to .8 kwh. Depending on the charger, I use either 50 ish or 70 ish watts flowing. 110-120 current, that usually shows on the meter as around 115v.

Kurt said:
.5 cents per kw/hr

Is electricity really sold that cheep? I think I pay about 16 to 17 cents a kwh Australian or around 12c kwh USD.

.5 cents sound to good to be true.

Kurt.

It's about 7 cents per KWh for me, and I believe the local industrial customers pay less. Lots of hydroelectric dams nearby.

Back