How much did you save driving your electric car last year?

-dg said:
Another alternative is to see if you can read the CAN bus and find the data you want there. Since that is a fairly rare car it may be hard to find the information to decode it though.

This is a good idea. There's an excellent app called "Canion" for the Mitsubishi i-miev that's for Android phones and tablets but I lost my Android tablet out of a suitcase on an airline flight. No big deal, I'll find another tablet but, it was a little bulky trying to plug everything in before each drive so I was only using it when I needed some specific info.

-dg said:
Another alternative is to see if you can read the CAN bus and find the data you want there. Since that is a fairly rare car it may be hard to find the information to decode it though.
Well, I did it. I bought a Samsung Tab A 10.1 inch Tablet at Costco for $179 ($90 off) and downloaded Canion (an app for the Mitsubishi i-miev) and synced up to the car. It gave me the pack voltage and temperature, etc. but I haven't tried driving around with it yet. All in good time. :mrgreen:

It took a while because my wife has all these Apple i pads for the kids, etc. and Canion was written for Android tablet/phones.

edcastrovalley said:
Well, I did it. I bought a Samsung Tab A 10.1 inch Tablet at Costco for $179 ($90 off) and downloaded Canion (an app for the Mitsubishi i-miev) and synced up to the car. It gave me the pack voltage and temperature, etc. but I haven't tried driving around with it yet. All in good time. :mrgreen:

It took a while because my wife has all these Apple i pads for the kids, etc. and Canion was written for Android tablet/phones.

Cool. Nice to know it works.

Too bad I didn't see this a month ago, I gave away a Lenovo Android tablet that would have been good for this as part of de-Googling my life.

-dg said:
Cool. Nice to know it works.

Too bad I didn't see this a month ago, I gave away a Lenovo Android tablet that would have been good for this as part of de-Googling my life.
Too bad but thanks anyway!

I remember when google was just starting up and their mantra was "do no evil". I guess that's starting to go by the wayside.

well we bought a 2nd hand leaf 24kwh just before Christmas last year for £5250 then we fixed the heater for £1200. so lets call the initial purchase price £6450 which was what I thought the car should be worth and at the time I couldn't find a battery owned leaf will less that 50k miles on the clock for any less.

Since then I have sold my Honda insight mk1. Sad but family growing meant it had to go. I got £3500 for it and I did 10k miles every year for 8 years in it and bought it for £3420 so I made £10 a year on it too. That car was great, could sometimes get 101 miles to the gallon UK but only 2 seats.

Now the money I save on insurance and petrol I use to pay a colleague to drive me to work. Sometimes I take the leaf and earn a day or so back. This is at a rate of £2.50 a day for a 50 miles round trip. Most days my wife has the leaf which she needs to keep sane due to having two boys under 2 yrs old. In order to save time and money I ebike to my colleagues house. I can do this pretty quickly if needs be 9minutes each way, never stuck in traffic.

I have a 3kw solar install on my garage roof so some of my car electric is free, the rest is on economy 7 at night so about £0.08/kwh.

I estimate roughly that with the joint petrol and tax and maintenance costs saved will see the leaf paid off in less than 5 years maybe even less. I will say that I'm much less stressed as I drive so much less these days and get to cycle a lot more. Not everything should be measured in pounds and pence it would seem.

Back