How much resistance needed for parallel connections between 18650 cells

Can anyone explain how one should calculate the optimal resistance for connecting cells in parallel? I get it when connecting in series, but not sure what is optimal for parallel connections.

I mainly bring this up as I am looking to build a new battery and came across Damian Rene's video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQVmUghKLY&t=34s

I like the idea of this design, but I was curious about how thin the nickel was for the single parallel connection in the 2 block group of cells, and if it was sufficient.

mlnkah.png

Seems like reasonable numbers to me

You want lower resistance, not higher when balancing a P, and it doesn't take very much, and some are using sheet nickle rather than strips so you kinda get the idea here....More is less.
You might want to design your pack to something more efficient. I ended up doing a 14S3P x2 to build my pack and have the best possible power share. It can even be a 14S2P x3 for the best outcome. The 14S6P ended up being a 6 to 3 in some places increasing the nickle strips from 20A to 60A ... Not good due to heat.
ngo9wy.jpg

NEVER solder to the bottom of a can, only the top button or flat top.
The bottom of the battery has the cell too close and can be damaged quite quickly, thermal runaway can be a potential problem as well during the process.
Always solder to a Nickel strip then spot weld it to the battery.

24qiozs.jpg

Lower the better in the game of resistance...

You can also measure resistance under load by looking at the mV drop across a path.

NeedForSpeed said:
Can anyone explain how one should calculate the optimal resistance for connecting cells in parallel?

No calculation needed.

Zero ohms is optimal for both series and parallel connections.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

I understand I want lower resistance, my question specifically relates to that very thin parallel strip in the picture in my OP, and if that's creating low enough resistance for the power I'm trying to achieve.

For example, in my current battery, I used Samsung 25R which have a Continuous Discharge Rating of 20A. When I was created the series connections, I referred to that chart posted above, and I stacked and spot welded four 0.15mm nickel strips for each connection. In my parallel connections I just used one 0.15 strip.

So my question is, connecting the cells in parallel, how much nickel is optimal/sufficient before getting too hot? I've just heard and read in various threads and videos that you don't need as much between parallel connections, but I don't have an understanding why.

Based on that battery build by Damian with the very thin strip of nickel, this is what sparked my question as I begin to plan a new battery build.

If every cell in a parallel group is also connected via it's own series tab to the next and previous groups, then the parallel connection doesn't carry pack current, it just maintains "balance" between cells and allows a BMS to monitor the whole group.

If there are only series tabs every few cells, then the parallel connection must carry all the current from every cell not attached to a series tab thru the pack. The more cells without series connections, the more current hte parallel connections must carry.

If every cell in a parallel group is also connected via it's own series tab to the next and previous groups, then the parallel connection doesn't carry pack current, it just maintains "balance" between cells and allows a BMS to monitor the whole group.

amberwolf this is making much more sense to me now, thank you. I have always been connecting every cell in a parallel group with its own series tab to the next groups, so now realizing the parallel connection I'm planning is just needed for the balance.

amberwolf said:

If there are only series tabs every few cells, then the parallel connection must carry all the current from every cell not attached to a series tab thru the pack. The more cells without series connections, the more current hte parallel connections must carry.
But if you want **each cell** to be individually protected / monitored, then you can only have one +/- pair connecting each parallel group in series to the next,

right?

john61ct said:
amberwolf said:

But if you want **each cell** to be individually protected / monitored, then you can only have one +/- pair connecting each parallel group in series to the next,

right?

I don't understand what you mean by "one +/- pair".

If you mean only one series connection, then I don't see what that has to do with protection.

If you are actually going to monitor each cell individually, then you cannot even connect them in parallel *at all*.

Otherwise the paralleling means all the paralleled cells are one voltage, and you are automatically monitoring all of them at once

If for some reason you really really wanted to monitor each cell's voltage, you can ONLY connect them in series strings, and then parallel ONLY the ends of the series strings. In practice, this is not done. It means you need as many cell balance / sense wires as you have cells, and you need electronics with that many input channels (or an expensive and complex (and thus vulnerable) analog multiplexer for them. More wires is more failure points, more places for opens or shorts and fire potentials.

Imagine a car-sized (tesla) pack, with thousands of cells. You would then need thousands of wires to monitor each cell.

At best, it's impractical and expensive.

At worse, if not designed and built properly, it's a fire waiting to happen.

So...packs that are individually-cell-protected are done by fusing each cell, like Tesla, but still connecting cells in parallel groups, and monitoring each parallel group.

If a fuse blows, the monitoring (if advanced enough) will count the parallel group capacity as less than the rest of the groups, even when balanced, and advise whoever looks at the logs or monitoring equipment that there is a pack problem.

If (like just about every common BMS out there) it's not advanced, and just monitors realtime voltage of each group, then it just stops discharge when the group reaches LVC, and stops charge when it reaches HVC (each of which will happen earlier than other groups that have not lost a cell), and the only way a person ahs to know that there is a problem is to see the pack appears to ahve less capacity than it used to (by the amount of 1P x Ah), and/or that it has less current capability than it used to (by the amount of 1P x Ah x C-rate).

Aha, getting clearer.

I'm thinking run a single pair of wires per cell, no other connections at all except within a wiring / bussbar box.

Each modular block of cells has a Deutsch waterproof receptacle, say 20 pins, and you can then periodically plug in your chargers, tester / loggers as desired, each cell isolated from any others.

Wire for different xPyS layouts for whatever's needed by swapping buss-boxes, no disturbing the blocks of batteries.

The added infrastructure costs likely not worth it for little 3Ah units, but maybe for 20-30Ah cells?

I know for me when each block costs over a grand, each cell warrants close watching!

Another question similar lines.

When a collection of relatively poorly match cells - whether different capacities, resistance, age, manufacturers etc - are paralleled together in one large group,

looked at as a group they are always being "balanced" live naturally just by virtue of being in the same group, at the same voltage, I grok that.

Say I notice one such string is increasingly unbalanced

as a unit, compared to the other such strings in the pack.

So what you're saying is, I must break the parallel connection to each cell in that group, in order to figure out which are the worse / lower capacity / higher resistance ones in order to replace them?

If you have a wonky used unbalanced in different capacity per cell pack. The battery pack will have low power under high load getting unbalanced fast.

john61ct said:
So what you're saying is, I must break the parallel connection to each cell in that group, in order to figure out which are the worse / lower capacity / higher resistance ones in order to replace them?

Yes.

There are a number of threads for battery repair, troubleshooting, etc., that discuss methods of testing and repairing. Some of them are titled as such; many are titled for "my bike cuts out" or "bike won't charge" "bike won't turn on", "problem after storing for winter", etc. I have at least two threads for battery repair, that have pics/descriptions that may help. (though I wouldn't use the soldering repair method I did at the time). This is one search that finds my threads
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=repair&terms=all&author=amberwolf&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search )

Back