How to add a new motor on the front fork of a Citycoco?

oangelo

10 µW
I have a citycoco trike. Where I live there are very steep hills and I am very heavy, so much that the trike motor burned out. To prevent the motor at the back from burning again, I wish to add another motor at the front. I found it difficult to find detailed instructions on the internet on how to do that, even though, at first glance, seems like an update many people would like to do to improve their citycoco.

I already figured out the electrical part, I can use two VESC controllers.

However, the mechanical part is still unknown. A cheap chinese hub motor seems to be the way to go, but I do not know how exactly to fit it on the front fork. From some photos on the internet, it does not look like they have the same shape to fit on the same place of the front wheel.

Can someone help me with the mechanical attachment of a hub motor on the front fork? It seems impossible to find in the internet the datasheet for chinese hub motors. I can machine some simple parts, if need be.

My front tire is 255/40-10.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

We'll need more information to help you find the right motor and a proper mounting method. When I google "Citycoco trike" I get a bunch of results like this:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0265/1825/7769/products/en-3wheel5_1000x.jpg?v=1605090236
en-3wheel5_1000x[1].jpg

Is that what you have? If not, please link to the page you purchased your trike from, or the manufacturer page for the specific model you have, so we can locate enough information about it to help.

If it is what you have, that front wheel looks very wide, and you may have to get a motor with a custom axle (QSMotors can probably do this for you) to fit.

Some other info you'll need to provide is listed below. Taking and posting good clear well-lit (direct sunlight is best) pictures of the existing wheel/fork, and the ends of the fork (on each side) where the wheel mounts to it, would be helpful as well.

What kind of dropouts / axle mounting points / etc does the fork have? (if you don't know what they're called, the pictures will tell us if they are clear enough).

What are the OLD (over locknut dimension, or the actual distance from the inside faces of the dropouts to each other, without the wheel in it). You'll need to measure this if it is not in your manual or on the manufacturer's website/etc.

To pick out the right motor, etc., we'll need to know the total weight of you and the trike and anything else you will carry, and the worst-case slope of the hills, and the road conditions, winds, etc. Those will determine how much power it will take to go up the hills under worst-case loads.

If you like, you can experiment with the http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html to see how these things interact.

Something also to think about is that front motors may have traction problems going uphill; worse the steeper the hill, especially if there is also a rear motor (as it will tend to lift the front even more). So you might want to also upgrade the rear motor to something capable of handling most of the load, for any times the front doesn't have enough traction.

What type of motor system does the rear end have? Does it drive both rear wheels, or just one?

Oh, and your battery probably can't handle two motors or even one upgraded one (it's usually designed only to handle the original power requirements), so you will likely need to either replace it or add another much bigger and more powerful one in parallel with it. (easier to replace).

https://citiescooter.com/collections/mangosteen-parts/products/mgsd-echopper-motor-2000w might fit. There three sizes 1500W, 2000W, 3000W .These are the rear hub motor of a Citycoco Chopper scooter.
The first question is what size motor is on the rear? Can it be upgraded?
This would be all wheel drive all of the time or just when needed to climb hills?

Later floyd

Yes, @amberwolf, my tricycle is exactly as you described. It has an axle with a differential transmission, and the motor that drives the axle doesn't have any identifying marks.
Since my front tire is 225/40-10, I believe I'll need a 10-inch "fat tire" hub motor for it.
I've searched extensively online for a front hub motor for a citycoco, but haven't been able to find one. I did come across a post on the endless-sphere forum where someone mounted a rear engine to the front, but there wasn't much information provided. Here's the link: Add rear hub motor to front wheel?
Here in Brazil, I've found 10-inch hub motors for citycoco, but they're sold without a datasheet. It seems that the lack of regulation in Chinese production is causing problems everywhere, as I read on this blog: About CityCoco motors and how not to buy an electric scooter with a low-quality motor
I'm planning to use VESC and Field Oriented Control (FOC) to get better performance from the motor. Additionally, I'm considering adding a thermistor to the motor to prevent it from burning out again.
However, given my weight of 95kg, I'll probably need a second motor to help reduce the load on the back motor and avoid overheating. I don't think I'll be able to update the tricycle enough to carry a second passenger, but that would be ideal.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a rear hub motor for my tricycle, hoping to use it on the front fork. However, I quickly realized that there is no way to fit it on the front fork without machining it. Unfortunately, this means that I'll need to make some modifications before I can install the motor.

I plan on posting some shots in the future to show the progress I'm making. Hopefully, with a bit of hard work and some modifications, I'll be able to get the motor up and running soon. Stay tuned!

Adding a Second Hub Motor to My Electric Citycoco Trike: A DIY Modification Guide with VESC Controllers, Light Control, High-Current Connectors, Improved Climbing Performance, and Milling Tips

Introduction: Electric trikes, like the Citycoco, offer an excellent combination of stability, ease of use, and eco-friendly transportation. However, there's always room for improvement! In this text, I'll share my experience in modifying my Citycoco trike by adding a second hub motor on the front fork, ultimately enhancing its performance and efficiency. In this modification, I used two VESC controllers (Flipsky 75100 and 75200) connected via CAN bus for synchronized motor control, installed an "Ewheel ADC Adapter V2" from Spintend for light control, and utilized XT150 connectors and an anti-spark switch for high-current handling and safety. I also chose a QSmotor 2000W hub motor for its superior quality, and I'll discuss the significant improvement in climbing steep slopes after the modification. Additionally, I'll provide some milling tips for a smooth and accurate modification process.

Step 1: Gathering Necessary Tools and Materials Before starting the modification, gather the following tools and materials:

• Electric Citycoco trike
  • QSmotor 2000W hub motor
  • Flipsky 75100 and 75200 VESC controllers
  • Ewheel ADC Adapter V2
  • XT150 connectors
  • Anti-spark switch rated for 16S or higher
  • 12V horn
  • Wide Velcro tape
  • Basic tools for disassembly and reassembly (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)
Step 2: Removing the Front Wheel Begin by removing the front wheel from your Citycoco trike.
IMG_20230306_074854.jpg

Step 3: Preparing the Front Fork for the Second Hub Motor Before installing the second hub motor, I had to remove the dampers from the front fork where the front wheel is connected. When taking the fork to a local shop to have a square milled into them, it's essential to start milling the side where the brake pinch is, as it should be in a fixed position relative to the brake disc. This ensures proper alignment for the braking system.

Once the first side is milled correctly, measuring and milling the other side becomes easier. Simply mill a hole to fit the rest of the axle. To make this process more accurate, I recommend bringing the steering table to the shop, allowing the technicians to precisely measure the distances between the dampers and the holes.

IMG_20230302_113452.jpg

Step 4: Installing the Second Hub Motor For this modification, I highly recommend using a QSmotor 2000W hub motor. This motor offers superior quality compared to the original motor on my trike, featuring thicker cables for better current handling.

Step 5: Wiring the Second Hub Motor and VESC Controllers Since the current in the system is very high, I used XT150 connectors to connect the wires from the hub motors to the VESC controllers. These connectors are designed to handle high currents and provide a secure, reliable connection.

Step 6: Configuring the VESC Controllers, Installing the Ewheel ADC Adapter V2, and Anti-Spark Switch To ensure optimal performance and control of both hub motors, I used two VESC controllers, Flipsky 75100 and 75200. I connected them via CAN bus, allowing the controllers to communicate with each other and synchronize the rotation of the motors. After connecting the controllers to the motors and the trike's existing electrical system, I followed the manufacturer's instructions to configure the settings on both controllers.

Step 7: Securing Components with Velcro Tape and Reinstalling the Front Wheel To keep all the components secure and organized inside the trike, I used wide Velcro tape. This versatile and easy-to-use solution holds everything in place, preventing any movement or damage during rides. After securing the components, I reinstalled the front wheel and proceeded to the testing phase.

Step 8: Testing the Modified Trike With the second hub motor installed and all components in place, I took my modified Citycoco trike for a test ride. To my delight, I found that the trike could now easily climb very steep slopes, even with my weight of 95 kg. This was not possible with just one motor, showcasing the significant improvement in performance after the modification.

Conclusion: The addition of a second QSmotor 2000W hub motor, the use of Flipsky VESC controllers, the installation of an "Ewheel ADC Adapter V2" from Spintend, and the implementation of XT150 connectors and an anti-spark switch for high-current handling and safety have significantly improved my Citycoco trike's performance. This DIY modification provides better traction, increased power, seamless light control, enhanced safety features, and the ability to climb steep slopes even for heavier riders. By following the milling tips provided, you can ensure a smooth and accurate modification process. If you're looking to enhance your Citycoco trike's performance, consider adding a second hub motor, using VESC controllers, and incorporating these components by following these steps. Happy riding!

Back